View Full Version : Distance learning

midnightstar
06-19-16, 01:05 PM
Is it better to do a distance learning course that you know you can't use to change career or is it better just to get books in the subject you want to learn about and read up on the subject?

Fuzzy12
06-19-16, 01:35 PM
It depends on time and resources. I think for the sake of learning a formal.course might make it easier than learning on your own from books.

However, if you know that you won't be able to use it in your career then you need to weigh it up against the investment that you are putting in, ie time and money. If you can afford both in terms of time and money it I'd say do the course.

I'm interested in a subject that is completely different to my job or anything I'll ever work in so I just read from books and youtube lectures (they are some brilliant ones out there by the way. Ucl, Oxford, stand ford, etc. .. and totally free). I'd love to do a course at university but I just can't afford to so this isn't a bad option for me.

Fuzzy12
06-19-16, 02:56 PM
I'd like to add though star that resources permitting if there is something you are passionate about it's definitely worth pursuing it even if it doesn't lead to a career. Knowledge for the sake of knowledge can be extremely rewarding itself.

In fact sometimes I think that a lifetime is not enough to learn everything I want to know so resources permitting if you can make it easier for yourself to learn something (eg by doing a course) it's definitely worth it. I'm not sure there are many things as fulfilling or rewarding as learning something new.

Corina86
06-20-16, 02:32 PM
I definitely can't learn anything over distance. If I don't have someone pushing me, I never get anything done. I procrastinate forever.

Between a course and just reading books, I recommend the first, because the most important thing in your career path isn't the knowledge, it's proving to others that you have it.

stef
06-20-16, 03:44 PM
I would say the course, it will have more structure
And who knows,maybe you could use it someday!
I wish i had time for something like that.

Chicky75
06-20-16, 10:50 PM
It depends on which will give you what you need. You don't mention if your thinking of an official online class that you'd pay for, but if that's part of the question, why not try a free MOOC through Coursera or something like that?

Tetrahedra
06-22-16, 02:05 AM
Two things: 1) How badly do you want to learn this subject? and 2) What's your learning style? Neither of these are things we can answer for you since it's so personal, but they're both integral components to making this decision. For example, I personally need the structure of a class, so doing an online course is better than just reading on the subject, which I may never do. I know many ADHD people (and non-ADHD people, too) who are like this. But you might be different.

The next thing is that never give up on learning, even if it's not for a career or counting towards your formal education. If you are lacking resources and affording an online course is going to put too much strain on your budget, doing personal research on the subject is so much better than doing nothing at all.

midnightstar
06-22-16, 04:02 AM
Two things: 1) How badly do you want to learn this subject? and 2) What's your learning style?

Ever since a kid I've wanted to do that particular subject as a career but unfortunately there are litterally no job vacancies for that type of career - as in literally none.

I learn best by "doing" (kinasthetic I think it's called?)

Fuzzy12
06-22-16, 07:10 AM
Ever since a kid I've wanted to do that particular subject as a career but unfortunately there are litterally no job vacancies for that type of career - as in literally none.

It seems a pity that you cannot do something for a living that you are so passionate about. I think you'd be absolutely amazing in it (I'm assuming it's something to do with animals). If there are no vacancies, would a possibility be to study this subject anyway and then try to get a job as a trainer or teacher in that subject? That might require a bit more of theoretical study but it just seems a bit of a waste to let your passion go (let alone all the animals that you could help directly or indirectly with the passion and love you have for them..)

midnightstar
06-22-16, 03:31 PM
It seems a pity that you cannot do something for a living that you are so passionate about. I think you'd be absolutely amazing in it (I'm assuming it's something to do with animals). If there are no vacancies, would a possibility be to study this subject anyway and then try to get a job as a trainer or teacher in that subject? That might require a bit more of theoretical study but it just seems a bit of a waste to let your passion go (let alone all the animals that you could help directly or indirectly with the passion and love you have for them..)

One thing I was hoping to do when I came up here was volunteering in animal rescue, that way I'd be helping animals and wouldn't be fixed on trying to get a non existant job with animals. Unfortunately there's no rescue centres here that I can get to at all :(

Tetrahedra
06-23-16, 12:41 AM

Kinesthetic. That's how I learn, too. If you do learn the same way as me, then the more structure, the better.

That said, if there are absolutely no careers, spending money is not a wise option unless you have income available to devote to a "hobby." There are some free online courses you can take, though I don't know if there is anything relative to your area of interest.

If you want to go into a field with animals, there are options, but it might require moving to another area with more opportunity or expanding your vision. You might have to take a job or volunteer opportunity that doesn't involve handling animals directly but falls in a similar field: pharmaceutical, grooming, business, etc. And you'd have to start in a position that is more likely to be something like reception rather than research.