View Full Version : Career Change - Quitting Computer Science/Programming

Jenn1202
06-20-16, 07:29 PM
I finally did it (after 2-3 years of hesitation)! A couple of months ago I decided to quit CS. I already quit my job and everything. I want change careers. CS requires waaayyy too much focus to the point where it often feels like torture. I have to pay attention to what I'm doing all the time and I get distracted every second and then have to figure out what I was working on before I got distracted. It's SUCH A PAINFUL PROCESS. Working on an interesting task seems to help a little, but I still get distracted and find it difficult to get it done. Also, this field requires me to sit in front of a computers for hours and hours. Everyone keeps asking me what I want to do, but I honestly have no idea. I've worked in various fields but I couldn't stick to anything. Here are a few examples: Computer science/programming, Bio (wet lab), brain and cognitive science, electrical engineering, computational biology, librarian, etc. I was interested in every single field and job I tried when I first started and then I simply got bored with it… Can anyone relate?

I suspect that the main problem with all the jobs/fields I've tried before is that they required me to focus a lot and pay attention to detail. I'm looking for something that's relatively mindless and won't require me to focus too much, but if it gets too repetitive or boring I probably won't be able to do it either. Any ideas?

Little Missy
06-20-16, 08:57 PM
Get a real good and short houred waitressing gig in a great restaurant. I mean a really great restaurant and make sure the kitchen is run by a bunch of fun guys. With good music playing all the time, a killer wine list and a fast bartender. Win-win!

aeon
06-20-16, 09:17 PM
Get a real good and short houred waitressing gig in a great restaurant. I mean a really great restaurant and make sure the kitchen is run by a bunch of fun guys. With good music playing all the time, a killer wine list and a fast bartender. Win-win!

From hearing the stories of a friend I had years ago, I can tell you this:

Little Missy is not joking here. Take her at her word, at every word.

Cheers,
Ian

Pilgrim
06-20-16, 09:28 PM
I'm sick of changing careers, don't want to be the guy that's had 10 different careers, the restaurant sounds awesome but what about the cash; bit different over hear.