View Full Version : ADHD 8 yr old girl struggling with behavior issues

Andreamc
06-20-16, 11:25 PM
Hello everyone.

I am new to the group and searching for advice from other parents of children with ADHD. I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and am now unmedicated. My daughter was diagnosed at 3.5 yrs old and has been medicated on focalin xr since her diagnosis.

She has been struggling with social issue for some time and recently has expressed strong desires to be in extracurricular activities like other children her age. I said ok and enrolled her in a tumbling class (like gymnastics). The issue is, in the activities, her behavior issues are amplified. She gets loud, boisterous, interrupts teacher and doesn't follow instructions, bouncing off walls, etc. The other children avoid her and she ends up sitting out or being reprimanded during the activities by teacher and afterwards by me.

I find that I struggle with knowing what to expect from her. I know she has ADHD but I don't understand why this is such a constant problem when she is fine at home 30 minutes before the activity.

So, my question is, does anyone else notice their child struggling with extra activities and do you enroll them and endure it or just keep them out of structured activities to keep your sanity?

Thank you in advance for your advice.
-Andreamc:(

namazu
06-21-16, 04:18 AM
Hi, and welcome to ADDF!

Several thoughts that will come out in the form of questions...

1. Is it possible that her meds are starting to wear off during the activities, leading to what some call "rebound" (temporary worsening of symptoms)?

2. Does she have coordination difficulties that could make gymnastics or dance or similar activities particularly challenging, leading to frustration and disruptive behavior? (Or are they giving multi-step directions that she may be struggling to follow, and losing it as a result?)

3. Are the gymnastics instructors aware of her ADHD, and do they know what ADHD is and that your daughter may need some redirection/extra attention rather than punishment/embarrassment when she's getting off track?

4. Does she know any of these kids from school or elsewhere, and could there be group dynamics carrying over from elsewhere?

5. Could the environment, with all the kids and jumping and swinging and whatever 8 year olds do in gymnastics, be overstimulating for her? Does she do OK in other social situations, like birthday parties? Is it something unique to gymnastics?

Anyway, sorry I only have questions for you.

You're definitely not the first parent to have to deal with issues like this, and I hope some others will chime in!

sarahsweets
06-22-16, 03:15 AM
My son was medicated when he was 4, hes 20 now. Any type of a group activity was a challenge because it was so stimulating. If its tumbling class what do they expect out of her? Any 3 year old would have issues in that environment. Personally, I would take issue if my kid was being punished or reprimanded, surrounded by her peers. Especially because you pay for it. Any other activities you would consider?

Lunacie
06-22-16, 09:31 AM
My son was medicated when he was 4, hes 20 now. Any type of a group activity was a challenge because it was so stimulating. If its tumbling class what do they expect out of her? Any 3 year old would have issues in that environment. Personally, I would take issue if my kid was being punished or reprimanded, surrounded by her peers. Especially because you pay for it. Any other activities you would consider?

The child was diagnosed when she was 3, she is 8 now if I understand right.

Of course, we know that means her social skills are more like those of a 5 year old.

Andreamc - to learn more about how ADHD delays development in some areas read The 30% Rule here. (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130)

You might look into Taekwando or any martial art. Those activities seem to work better for ADHD kiddos.

Andreamc
06-22-16, 05:46 PM
Thank you all for your posts. I do find that group activities tend to be very exciting to my daughter and that alone can cause her to act up. I have spoken with the teacher and she is aware that Audrey (my daughter) has ADHD but not sure how deep that understanding runs. My husband wants to put her karate but I was worried that might be even worse because of the level of discipline required...

Andreamc
06-22-16, 05:48 PM
I am fairly certain her meds have worn off at this point but not sure if another dose mid day would help or hurt. She doesn't know the other girls, but because she is so boisterous, the other children are avoiding / calling her names.

TLCisaQT
06-23-16, 07:47 PM
This is a hard one and one I know all too well :( it is going to depend on the gymnastics and type of class and instructor and the willingness of them to HELP you on this! Hopefully the teacher can encourage the others to be more patient of her special needs and focus on her strengths and find ways to utilize them and maybe suggest a reward chart instead of punishing behaviors due to the adhd behavior. If they are unwilling to work with her and the experience isn't enjoyable for her - I'd not take my daughter anymore and find something that is enjoyable. Or try a day gymnastics class when meds are more effective :). Good luck