View Full Version : At a loss with meds.

Mamaof286
06-22-16, 12:59 AM
My son was recently diagnosed adhd in november of this past school year. The teacher at his school said ge was not concentrating enough and was from one to the next very talkative and laughing and giggling about everything. Our first go about was methylphenidate. First does was ol secong he litterally climbed walls... immediatly we took him off then tried amphetamine. He is currently at 20 mg of extended release. The problem i have that is breaking my heart is his smile is not there daily. He wants to play what he wants to otherwise he isnt playing with other kids. He will get sucked into his legos drawing or tv and when told we will ve leaving or doing something else in x amount of minutes he melts down. Id rather have him back to happy with compulsive stealing issues. Tonight i cried. I feel like a failure i am looking in to the non stimulant i know the dr says adderall isnt know to cause addictions however addictions run in my family... i just want my happy boy back i feel as though i have broke him.... any advice suggestions constructive criticism is all welcome please.

Laserbeak
06-22-16, 01:42 AM
When I was growing up, they didn't really know about or talk about ADHD or prescribe Ritalin or Adderall or anything like that. Now, I think they are too fast to do it, and do it at the drop of a hat as a supposed panacea.

Remember, you are his parent. If you think the drugs are bad for him, take him off them, no matter what the teacher says. What does she know anyway?

Some kids are just a bit hyperactive and grow out of it on their own in time.

* NOTE: I'm not a parent *

sarahsweets
06-22-16, 02:10 AM
My son was recently diagnosed adhd in november of this past school year. The teacher at his school said ge was not concentrating enough and was from one to the next very talkative and laughing and giggling about everything.

Since when is a teacher able to recommend medication and make diagnosis's of disorders? I can see her suggesting you see someone but to put it in those terms- that he doesnt sit still or concentrate shows she doesnt know enough about adhd.

Our first go about was methylphenidate. First does was ol secong he litterally climbed walls... immediatly we took him off then tried amphetamine. He is currently at 20 mg of extended release. The problem i have that is breaking my heart is his smile is not there daily. He wants to play what he wants to otherwise he isnt playing with other kids. He will get sucked into his legos drawing or tv and when told we will ve leaving or doing something else in x amount of minutes he melts down. Id rather have him back to happy with compulsive stealing issues. Tonight i cried. I feel like a failure i am looking in to the non stimulant i know the dr says adderall isnt know to cause addictions however addictions run in my family... i just want my happy boy back i feel as though i have broke him.... any advice suggestions constructive criticism is all welcome please.

Im sorry you are sad about this- its hard.
It sounds more like a dose related thing, like his adderall dose is too high. Have you tried lower doses?
You are not a failure.Dont stop any meds without a doctors approval but consider a different amphetamine or different dose.
My son took dexedrine for years- in fact there is a sticky in children's diagnosis about my story if youre interested.

Mamaof286
06-22-16, 09:59 AM
I should note the teacher had nothing to do with what meds were given she had control over the paperwork she had to fill out the test thing the dr gives the teacher to rate how he is in school... his hand writing and concentration awent from really bad to really good that was my notice anyway.... I am stuck between a rock and a hard place also because of where i live.... I am trying to get out as fast as i can but with jobs and place to live kinda need those before leaving. The town is known for if you dont do it my way its the highway. His dr is amaxing dont get me wrong there either. Before he would always have a bruise on his firehead because he would become so frustrated he would hit himself thats another thing that stopped with the meds.... I just dont think these meds are right for him... As a Mama i want to protect but as a mama i dont know drugs and how to take them out of the plan so i trust my dr. The food issue is horrendous too no one cares its like who gives a f*** she is off her rocker kinda thing. Kids will be kids.... yes to a point but a child hits bites kicks and runs from you directly after eating the crap yoy avoid it wouldnt you? Because im with them everyday i see the change other wise no one else does....

Mamaof286
06-22-16, 10:00 AM
Lower dose i noticed a difference but school did not.... again school over rules my thoughts....

Mamaof286
06-22-16, 10:04 AM
I will be discussing non stimulants with his dr.... what is panacea? And I believe he has the adhd. I just dont think he is medicated properly... he would git his head and fight gomework and school work now he is able to calm himself and work through it. The difference is huge i just dont like how sad he seems recently... Dr again says it could be underlying issue of depression.... um.... i can see how the meds would calm him down but wipe his smile from his face?

adhd-viking
07-29-16, 10:38 PM
Treatment of ADHD with stimulants is very individualized. If you don't feel he's on an optimal dose, spend some more time experimenting (always with the physician's involvement) to find the right dosage and medicine. It's a slow process that takes time, but can help find a better combo. I'm all for drug holidays, most children treated for ADHD have periods on and off of stimulant medications. But you don't need to give up on medications completely, if you think they've been helpful in some ways.

peripatetic
07-29-16, 11:02 PM
I will be discussing non stimulants with his dr.... what is panacea? And I believe he has the adhd. I just dont think he is medicated properly... he would git his head and fight gomework and school work now he is able to calm himself and work through it. The difference is huge i just dont like how sad he seems recently... Dr again says it could be underlying issue of depression.... um.... i can see how the meds would calm him down but wipe his smile from his face?

these sound like possible side effects of too high on the dosage over a period of time. talk to his prescribing physician and ask to start the titration process again at the lower dosage. tell him/her you'll continue with the log tracking behavior, significant things of the day, mood, appetite, ease of switching between tasks, observed concentration. every psychiatrist i've had has emphasized the need to start low/titrate slow and give your body time to adjust to increases/decreases in amount and frequency to find the most consistent effective coverage. that's also the only way to be guaranteed to find the minimum effective dosage and the best amount of time between doses *for the individual*. it varies so much from person to person, and isn't weight dependent or presenting symptoms dependent...it can be a real crapshoot unless you approach it with a plan and keep track. and he can't. it's hard for me as an adult with timers and such to keep track of things that are useful to log for a healthcare provider.

so, start tracking and talk to the doctor. then the school has no further input that matters. they're not physicians and aren't qualified to make medication adjustments. don't let them coerce/manipulate you into letting them play pharmacist.

you can also try the non stimulant route, but studies show that stimulants plus environmental support or the best combination. a lot more people who've taken both report the non stimulants
(1.) have more unbearable side effects than stimulants and
(2.) were utterly ineffective or only very mildly so.

(google scholar can become your best research friend to get you started and i suggest reading dizfriz's corner in these sections. let me know if you need help finding things.) you can find research and learn to read it sufficiently well enough to advocate for him to get the best treatment and the accommodations properly afforded him by law. along with respecting the doctor-patient relationship and. plus, read all of the stickies in the parenting sections. there's a lot of videos and other great stuff. talk to other parents with children receiving accommodations/with special needs. the more you're an expert on the disorder AND your child's presentation of the criteria for diagnosis, the better you'll be able to demand his needs be met and then track what you see.

if you defo want to try non stimulant medications or other treatments, there are options. occupational and organizational therapy and establishing and maintaining a routine, making space in your family's time for regular exercise and avoiding heavily processed or junk foods, streamlining life and keeping lists that he can use to organize himself/be set up for success. therapy might be good since he's been down. processing that... in my experience, processing in mental health treatment is key to leading a more functional life. for some things, in this case maybe processing how he's handling his diagnosis and feelings about behavior and so forth...working with a mental health professional to process his feelings and get more informed could make a significant, positive impact on his quality of life. i have found that my quality of life is so much better when i'm able to work through intense or confusing or concerning things and get help devising a strategy for getting a handle on yourself and not be as easily overwhelmed. learning coping mechanisms...there are so many tools...learning what works for you matters all the more when you learn differently or need environmental support. you can only ask for what you understand you need and process life events but going through them, not bottling or ignoring or avoiding them. it's helped me more than you can imagine.

but, anyway, as for non stimulants, clonidine, i think i've seen, can often help. you can peruse the treatments section if you scroll down. i don't think many non stimulant things are both legit and approved for children. like, i don't know that they'd give a child wellbutrin but i know adults who've had success with it. i would look around in those sections and then approach his doctor about making a plan to get him better treatment. good plans can get you better treatment. it requires patience and trial and error and tracking a lot of times to really nail it down. but that'll give him the most opportunity for success in all sorts of ways, socially, personally, academically, behaviorally (which can matter in school and also socially and with building or eroding self confidence), impulsivity. fidgetiness. even just that zoning out.

best wishes to you and highest hopes for getting him help that helps,
-peri