View Full Version : want to make art but can't?? and other things

julialouise
06-23-16, 03:24 PM
one of my problems is that i love making art, and i'm always finding more supplies that i can use but im never able to just sit down and work on art? one of the things that stops me the most is giving up too soon, which means that i know that good art takes time, and i'm usually not able to prepare myself for that. unless i'm in an art class, i'll start a project and never come back to it. i love making art, but even when im bored, i'm not always in the mood to make art.

also, do any other artists find themselves taking a long break from doing a certain thing, like drawing, only to come back months later and draw something better than you've drawn before? same with painting, sculpting, whatever you do.

also, pls be my adhd art friend so we can motivate each other to make art

Unmanagable
06-23-16, 05:15 PM
I have so many piles of artistic good intentions. I feel ya'.

Started some tiles the other week (making them into little magnets with healthful messages - "Magnetic Awareness" :) ), but used a pen that isn't permanent (duh) to add little pictures to the messages, really cool little pics that just tickle me (I usually don't draw), but now I must re-do them, but the thrill is gone, dammit. lol

Bubble of momentum got popped when I realized I screwed up, knowing I may never be able to draw that same thing again. lmao

But it would also help along another project (at least one), so I could really benefit from following through with wiping off the ink and starting over.

I will make time to wipe them all clean before I go to bed tonight, and will remove all non-permanent fine tipped markers from the area.

Thanks for the reminder. Let's be art buddies. :)

midnightstar
06-23-16, 05:20 PM
I can't draw to save my life. I can write poetry but ain't written any for a while :grouphug:

stef
06-23-16, 05:27 PM
either can i, i just simply cannot draw or' paint or anything like that

Fuzzy12
06-23-16, 05:44 PM
I'm not an artist and I've got no artistic talents but over the years I've started a lot of arty projects. Every time I get all the supplies and start working on it non stop for a couple of evenings at the most only to then completely lose interest. Usually my projects lie around in the living room for a few months without me even looking at them before I finally shove them in some corner where they remain forever and ever. :rolleyes:

Kayyluhh74
06-30-16, 03:28 PM
You should enroll in a local class in your town! I'm not sure how yours would work but there should be something that's similar.
We have a few places where adults work on certain art projects in a big group. They all draw the same thing but everyone's art is so much different!
I love those places, they're pretty fun. Plus it would kinda force out that artistic side in ya!

This place is an example
http://paintthetowne.com/

Embalyn
07-01-16, 02:28 AM
i am hopeless artistically, feel left out as most my family draw and paint and craft amazing things but i enjoy the feel of doing it, i wouldn't worry about the end result as much as the calming process of trying. i found knitting to be a good form of art that drew enough of my attention to not get distracted and focus well on. well and music singing and playing but unsure if it would come under art :D

Unmanagable
07-01-16, 08:18 AM
Anything we do can be considered an art. That which comes from the heart, to me, is considered art.

Cooking, cleaning, music, gardening, breathing, walking, etc. If it's your passion, make it your art.

Merriam-Webster defines art as: "something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings"

Please don't limit your definition by thinking it has to be something you draw/paint/or craft in the typical "artsy" mindset.

Create your own roadshow. :)

julialouise
07-08-16, 04:08 PM
I have so many piles of artistic good intentions. I feel ya'.

Started some tiles the other week (making them into little magnets with healthful messages - "Magnetic Awareness" ), but used a pen that isn't permanent (duh) to add little pictures to the messages, really cool little pics that just tickle me (I usually don't draw), but now I must re-do them, but the thrill is gone, dammit. lol

Bubble of momentum got popped when I realized I screwed up, knowing I may never be able to draw that same thing again. lmao

But it would also help along another project (at least one), so I could really benefit from following through with wiping off the ink and starting over.

I will make time to wipe them all clean before I go to bed tonight, and will remove all non-permanent fine tipped markers from the area.

Thanks for the reminder. Let's be art buddies.

honestly! i start working, and then i mess up, or something doesn't look perfect, and i wanna give up, i lose momentum, and never return to the project. if only i just pushed a little harder and reminded myself that masterpieces BECOME masterpieces, they aren't born.

I can't draw to save my life. I can write poetry but ain't written any for a while

i enjoy writing and reading poetry! i definitely haven't done either in a while, though.

either can i, i just simply cannot draw or' paint or anything like that
i am hopeless artistically, feel left out as most my family draw and paint and craft amazing things but i enjoy the feel of doing it, i wouldn't worry about the end result as much as the calming process of trying.
Anything we do can be considered an art. That which comes from the heart, to me, is considered art.

I def agree with unmanageable here. I'm not always too concerned with my skill, since i think art requires as much or as little skill/experience as the artist has. anything can be considered art and, as always, "one person's trash is another person's treasure!" i've had many experiences where i've hated my art and others admire it, or vice versa.

You should enroll in a local class in your town! I'm not sure how yours would work but there should be something that's similar.
We have a few places where adults work on certain art projects in a big group. They all draw the same thing but everyone's art is so much different!
I love those places, they're pretty fun. Plus it would kinda force out that artistic side in ya!

i'm not able to afford a class outside of school, but classes definitely help me!! they give me the push and initiative to make things, and they provide me with knowledge and experience that i can put to use in future projects. art classes are such a great resource and i recommend them to everybody and anybody.

C15H25N3O
07-26-16, 07:17 PM
one of my problems is that i love making art, and i'm always finding more supplies that i can use but im never able to just sit down and work on art? one of the things that stops me the most is giving up too soon, which means that i know that good art takes time, and i'm usually not able to prepare myself for that. unless i'm in an art class, i'll start a project and never come back to it. i love making art, but even when im bored, i'm not always in the mood to make art.

also, do any other artists find themselves taking a long break from doing a certain thing, like drawing, only to come back months later and draw something better than you've drawn before? same with painting, sculpting, whatever you do.

also, pls be my adhd art friend so we can motivate each other to make art

Arts and drawing does not take time. Thats not true!!!!!
You can make it working if you find a flow-state of day-dreaming.
If you enjoy drawing it is a kind of meditation, freeing your mind.

The truth is drawing makes time flying!

DaveHawk
07-30-16, 08:31 PM
I've been absent from my art studio for 2 years now. But busy playing on the lathe, with many painting conservation job, restoring a 68 vw beetle and many other projusts that to me are releases for my art engery.
Just do , don't think about it. If it strikes your fancy explore and see if you find pleasure in that art forum.

julialouise
08-04-16, 10:58 AM
i came home from college for summer break and i had plans to renew my etsy shop and work on paintings. but in order to really be able to focus on these things, i knew i needed to clean up my art/drafting table. i came home in june and it's the 4th of august, and i'm moving into my college apartment at the end of this month. i didn't even have a busy work schedule, especially because i had to quit the job that was driving me insane. i feel kind of defeated, looking at the art table, seeing all my supplies stacked on the table, a purse thrown on there, an empty pirouline container. maybe what i need is a new organization system, like shelves, some place to put the supplies i'm not using. i feel horrible about myself, though i did manage to start some organization over there, enough to prepare me to pack up all my supplies and bring them to school. (and now i'm thinking about how good of an idea it will be to bring this table along with me!)

i think the smartest thing to do will just be to pack everything up for when i'm ready to leave.

anyway, the only artistic endeavor i've been able to make is a couple pages in a Lisa Frank coloring book. which is fine, it's better than nothing, but i still wish that i could do the things i like.

at least i havent just been sitting in my bed all day (which, kind of is what i do), thanks to the Animal Crossing disc i got at a garage sale and the blessing that is Pokemon Go

i have lots of friends at college who will probably help inspire me to draw and paint and make stuff so i look forward to it.