View Full Version : Somewhat new to ADD at 32

Novadestin
06-24-16, 02:52 PM
Hello everyone, while looking up information on ADD, I came across this forum and thought it would be a good idea to join. I've recently been diagnosed with ADD (like a couple weeks ago), although I have suspected it for a couple years now but only recently moved to do something about it when I got medical insurance again. I've been doing a lot of reading and such about it lately, but it's all still new to me. My therapist (whom I was referred to by my doctor and just started seeing because of this - we've only had 3 meetings so far, end of May-beginning of June: initial meeting, testing, and results) has stressed Russell A Barkley PhD as the leading person on the topic and he seems pretty knowledgeable, but I am curious what other people think about him.

Background info on me: I've felt like my cognitive abilities have been going down hill for years but didn't have any insurance to do anything about it. When I finally got insurance again, I went through all the testing and such and my therapist literally said, "you have it, no question" when she read the results that I tanked the working memory part of the IQ test they gave me - she said a 10 point drop was significant and I went down 30 points! My IQ was 119 overall, but she said that is lower than it 'really is' because my working memory isn't, well, working haha I also had to do the "click when you see any letter but X" computer test and got 50 (moderate impulsive/inattentive), but she thinks that is a very low estimate because my IQ test showed a super fast processing speed of 143 (making myself sound like a computer xD). She figured, removing that, it was likely more around 80 (she said 20 or so was normal).

My boyfriend went in with me and did a quick questionnaire too; she was satisfied our answers were similar. He's been really good about everything, but my family has been rather... not nice. I called my mother after we got back from the results appoint. and she quiet literally laughed and said, "you don't have ADD." She said some other things too, but I'm not sure I can say them here cause they're a bit anti-ADDish. Her and my sister's attitude is basically, "why can't you just do some yoga and eat more fruit and be fine?" (Any advice on how to approach them and not have it turn into a "natural versus modern medicine" argument would be much appreciated!) Because of that, I haven't really talked in-depth with anyone but my boyfriend and my best friend who also faces the same medical issues. She's been a great help with "what to expect" and such.

Today was my first day taking meds for it, my doctor gave me the generic time-released adderall 15mg to start with. I took it at 9:30am and, honestly, haven't really felt that different. Then again, I don't really have much to "challenge" the meds with right now since I don't have a job and can basically spend the day doing whatever I want xD The only real difference I've noticed is that I feel pretty calm today - more steady than relaxed or "chill", if that makes sense. It's not a super noticeable thing, but it just 'feels different' today. I've read a lot of people talking about a euphoric feeling when they first take it, being all talkative and focused and ready to go... but I didn't get any of that - maybe the dose is too low for me? Maybe I am just reacting differently?

I'm also on 20 mg of amtriptyline for (currently) unexplained muscle tension in my head/neck, and I've read that the two can have a moderate reaction to each other (lower effectiveness of meds, fever, headache, fast/irregular heartbeat), but also that if you take it like 10 hours apart it should be fine - which I do, I take the amtripyline a couple hours before bed. I'm hoping to stop the amtriptyline once we can figure out what is wrong with my muscles (I don't think it's stress, unless I am super sensitive or something, but my therapist is leaning towards it even though we only talked about it briefly), but I wonder if I should stop taking it now to see if it is effecting the generic adderall? Being off it doesn't do much except make me sleep less (it makes me sleep like 11-12 hours!) and I get headaches/neck stiffness as the day goes on, but that's manageable for a few days I think... I don't know. Is anyone else taking both?

So, yeah, I guess that's it for now. Thanks for reading my long post haha Any advice for a "newbie" is much appreciated!

DJ Bill
06-24-16, 10:10 PM
Barkley is well respected by most in the field.

Ignore how you feel ...especially for the first few days! Once you get used to the meds see if you are more productive, focused, or calm. From what I can gather and my own experience....the first few days can be all placebo effect so you can't trust what you think is going on.

Best of luck for getting a handle on it all!
and welcome to the forum! Lots of good stuff for the digging up here.

By the way, thank you for using short paragraphs with space between....Us ADD folk appreciate it a bunch...(The typical wall of words type of posts don't get read much...we can't make it through the posting, let alone remember it all.

Novadestin
06-24-16, 10:40 PM
Barkley is well respected by most in the field.

Ignore how you feel ...especially for the first few days! Once you get used to the meds see if you are more productive, focused, or calm. From what I can gather and my own experience....the first few days can be all placebo effect so you can't trust what you think is going on.

Best of luck for getting a handle on it all!
and welcome to the forum! Lots of good stuff for the digging up here.

By the way, thank you for using short paragraphs with space between....Us ADD folk appreciate it a bunch...(The typical wall of words type of posts don't get read much...we can't make it through the posting, let alone remember it all.

Thanks ^^ and I always write like that lol guess I just got used to it cause I hate walls of text too. Anyways, I know I should ignore the first day (my therapist told me to as well), but it just seemed weird to not really "feel" anything at all, you know? Since everyone else seems to have some sort of reaction (good or bad), I thought maybe the dosage was to low or something - I don't know lol like I said, I'm still new to all this. Just have to wait and see what the next few days bring :P

salleh
06-25-16, 10:30 PM
Thats funny, my first thought was that I wanted to mention that the OP's style of writing in readable sized paragraphs was spot on ! we take our wall of print VS small bites of print seriously around here !

You will find that there's a lot of knowledgeble folks around here . ( I hold the title for being the worst speller ) go back into the stacks and read everything you find that you think might pertain to you and what you are going through . you'll come away with fistfuls of new ideas and thoughts and explanations, some of which will work for you, some won't

My computer has sticking keys to boot, so I am keeping my writing short these days but welcome ! dive right on in, the people are fine

Cyllya
06-26-16, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I called my mother after we got back from the results appoint. and she quiet literally laughed and said, "you don't have ADD." She said some other things too, but I'm not sure I can say them here cause they're a bit anti-ADDish. Her and my sister's attitude is basically, "why can't you just do some yoga and eat more fruit and be fine?" (Any advice on how to approach them and not have it turn into a "natural versus modern medicine" argument would be much appreciated!)

What is your objective in discussing this with your mother and sister? If you just want to be able to make conversation about ADHD because it's a topic that's important to you, you're probably better off just resisting the urge to bring it up around them. Save the ADHD discussion for your boyfriend and friend; talk to your mom and sister about the weather or something.

If you need them to be more accommodating of your symptoms, you might frame it in the context of personal strengths-and-weaknesses or even preferences.

Today was my first day taking meds for it, my doctor gave me the generic time-released adderall 15mg to start with. I took it at 9:30am and, honestly, haven't really felt that different. Then again, I don't really have much to "challenge" the meds with right now since I don't have a job and can basically spend the day doing whatever I want xD The only real difference I've noticed is that I feel pretty calm today - more steady than relaxed or "chill", if that makes sense. It's not a super noticeable thing, but it just 'feels different' today. I've read a lot of people talking about a euphoric feeling when they first take it, being all talkative and focused and ready to go... but I didn't get any of that - maybe the dose is too low for me? Maybe I am just reacting differently?
That euphoric feeling is an unintended side effect of the medication, and it only happens at therapeutic doses for some people. Not getting euphoria doesn't suggest any kind of dosing problem any more than not getting anxiety or racing heart rate or any other amphetamine side effects.

I take Adderall and, in my case, I never "feel" anything about it working. If I'm thinking about it, I will notice being less impaired, but if anything, that's more of a lack of a feeling. Kind of like how taking painkillers doesn't make you feel anything; you'll just have less pain.