View Full Version : Maintaining Healthy Weight while on Adderall

addsoccer84
06-24-16, 08:07 PM
This is a big question. I have had sessions with my counselor and then a couple sessions with my psychiatrist, and we have all communicated with my doctor to determine whether or not I have Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. After these sessions, they have diagnosed me with Adult ADD which has been a great weight lifted off of my shoulders when it comes to understanding why I have been struggling with work, school, and the number.

They have written me a prescription for 20 mg of Adderall generic to take once a day. I have already been on the road to losing some weight before all of this. I currently am 5'6" and started at a 150 lbs, and now weight 145. I want to get to a goal of 125. I have been counting calories going in and going out for about two months now.

So my question would be, can I maintain my running schedule to maintain healthy weight loss away from the appetite suppression that Adderall will stimulate? Piggy backing off of that, if I maintain calorie intake to my best ability will I gain weight while taking the medication or will I lose weight faster? Lastly, will I gain weight instantly post medication even thought I maintained healthy weight loss while taking the prescription initially.

I know it'll be hard to determine all of that because of the medication's side effects, but I don't want to hit goal weight after actually keeping up with a healthy regime and then slow off the meds and gain weight back and then some.

Thank you to everyone that is able to help me understand!

GoalieMel33
06-24-16, 09:39 PM
I'm currently around your size and also working on losing a couple more pounds (started way heavier, been working out for a few months now).

What helped me for weight loss (10lbs/month average) is logging the food I eat though an app and working out everyday (an hour and half). I was able to reduce calories intake by being conscious of the choices I make. I managed to get by with pretty average stuff (not always salads and healthy things) and that without starving lol.

I made sure to get at least two meals (ideally 3), snack throughout the day and stay hydrated. The rest comes down to moderation, choices and portion control. As for exercise, it depends on the individual I guess.

I think a good training program should include both cardio and strength training. I spend a longer time on cardio for now as I'm looking to get rid of a little fat on problems areas.

Medication helped tremendously for focus since it's always been difficult for me (I get bored easily on repetitive things, I'm more into team sports). Music was of good aid too when I needed that extra motivation and push, but I no longer listen to it while running (hearing my breathing drives me crazy haha).

Adding variety and making it more challenging each week proved to be useful as well (interval training (resistance, speed, hills, etc) , switching between 2 programs, using different machines, etc)

You probably won't gain weight as long as you consume no more than the recommended calories (maintenance or loss) based on your activity levels. In order to gain a pound, you would need to eat 3500 calories more than usual.

The best way is creating a deficit with what you eat and physical activity. As for your last question, I'm not sure since I've never been off medication since I started it. My guess is that you won't gain weight if you keep at it (eating and exercise wise).

It might be a little harder if it helped you control hunger/cravings but if it was already ''natural'' for you, you shouldn't worry about it. And the appetite supression side effect might eventually disappear.

Plus once you change habits, it will turn into a lifestyle and you probably won't even think about it. I won't lie, it might still challenge you but when it becomes part of you and second nature, it gets easier. Your body gets used to a certain consumption and activity.

TheFitFatty
06-26-16, 02:23 AM
I'm at the point where I need to force myself to eat, even if I'm not hungry. I'm losing weight without even trying at this point, but the lack of nutrients was starting to effect my gym performance. When you get to a weight you want to maintain, you'll probably have to do similar.

Laserbeak
06-26-16, 09:11 AM
Adderall is not approved as a weight-loss drug, but it can help you with that as a side-effect, generally by suppressing your appetite while raising your metabolism. 20mg/day is actually a very small dose, so I that would be a panacea for you to shed pounds like they were water.

You might want to talk to your doctor about raising your dose once you've been on this for like a month.

The unfortunate thing though, in my experience, is your appetite tends to return to normal after some time.

addsoccer84
06-30-16, 12:21 AM
Adderall is not approved as a weight-loss drug, but it can help you with that as a side-effect, generally by suppressing your appetite while raising your metabolism. 20mg/day is actually a very small dose, so I that would be a panacea for you to shed pounds like they were water.

You might want to talk to your doctor about raising your dose once you've been on this for like a month.

The unfortunate thing though, in my experience, is your appetite tends to return to normal after some time.
I actually am more afraid of the weight loss than I welcome it because I would hate for backwards weight gain while trying to maintain healthy weight loss on top of losing weight because of the side effects. Hopefully with mind power and self discipline I can keep healthy weight loss!