View Full Version : How to You Gracefully "Bow Out" of A Job

Gypsy Willow
06-28-16, 09:41 AM
...when it's not a good fit due to the ADD? Lie? Say you have another job offer? Tell them you're moving to Tahiti? Because God knows, if you tell them you suffer ADD and feel the need to find a "better fit", all they do is freakin' argue with you about it and tell you it's not real, or you are giving up too soon, etc.

I'm on a job that is WAY to distracting and chaotic and I can't get the ADD medication because I have no insurance yet.

I'm getting corrected on little stupid mistakes that I make because of all the interruptions.

The stress of this is making me have other health issues and I just don't know what to do.

In theory, this is a great job. Good benefits, retirement, etc. But I'm miserable and once again, am facing another "failure" due to this condition of inattentive ADD. And the harder I try, the more mistakes I make.

I feel trapped and helpless.

Fuzzy12
06-28-16, 09:44 AM
Are you asking how to inform your employer gently that you are leaving?

Just tell them thanks for the opportunity they've given you but you are moving on to something that's a better fit (no need to get into details) and you hope you will stay in touch.

If you want to be extra nice you can ask what you can do to make the transition for them easier (e.g. training your replacement or documenting your work so your replacement will find it easier to start where you stopped, etc)

Gypsy Willow
06-28-16, 09:49 AM
Are you asking how to inform your employer gently that you are leaving?

Just tell them thanks for the opportunity they've given you but you are moving on to something that's a better fit (no need to get into details) and you hope you will stay in touch.

If you want to be extra nice you can ask what you can do to make the transition for them easier (e.g. training your replacement or documenting your work so your replacement will find it easier to start where you stopped, etc)

I'm just frustrated that I can't find my "home". That "right" fit. That "right" job that I can do. Oh sure....there are jobs I can "do" but they don't pay enough for me to survive on. I don't have another job offer yet either. I'm miserable.

But what you advised is very good. Thanks!

Fuzzy12
06-28-16, 11:20 AM
I'm in a similar situation. Can't find the right fit. I love parts of what I'm doing now but hate some other parts of it and absolutely suck at those. It's been like that with every job I've had.

Gypsy Willow
06-28-16, 11:31 AM
I'm in a similar situation. Can't find the right fit. I love parts of what I'm doing now but hate some other parts of it and absolutely suck at those. It's been like that with every job I've had.

Me too! It's much more manageable with the meds but without them......UGGHHH!!!

Tetrahedra
06-28-16, 08:47 PM
Is there a way you can stick it out until you can get insurance? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume that if there are good benefits, it would include health insurance, and you would therefore just have to wait until it kicks in. If you enjoy the job and think medicine is what's going to make the difference, it might be worthwhile to consider sticking it out.

The other thing to consider is that no one is perfect at their jobs. Are you underestimating your abilities? Are there minor adjustments that can be made to help you become better adjusted with this job? Does your job allow you to have more of a distraction-free setting?

If you are leaving, I agree with Fuzzy12. There is no need to tell them about ADHD. You might even be able to google search ideas for how to submit a two weeks' notice.

Gypsy Willow
05-17-17, 12:11 PM
I stuck it out and couldn't be happier! I actually just got back on Adderall (wanted to see how long I could function without it but the anxiety and brain fog started returning) and handled the job fine. The evil, mean boss retired and the new boss is awesome! Got a great raise too!

finallyfound10
05-21-17, 11:38 PM
I stuck it out and couldn't be happier! I actually just got back on Adderall (wanted to see how long I could function without it but the anxiety and brain fog started returning) and handled the job fine. The evil, mean boss retired and the new boss is awesome! Got a great raise too!

:yes:

Thank you for the follow up!!

psychopathetic
05-22-17, 06:25 AM

omfg that's amazing! :yes: haha I just realized I said that out loud in the 3d world! :lol:

Freaking awesome that you ended up sticking it out! I SOOOO wish I'd have stuck my last out. I think it would've become my 'forever' job.