View Full Version : Back from the vet

midnightstar
07-02-16, 08:04 AM
The vet said Tigger's got a sore mouth (gingivitis) and has given her an injection to help with that, he also said Tigger might be a carrier of calichivirus (sp) which is worrying the crap out of me (once a cat has calichivirus - like cat flu - it's there forever, it can't be cured/got rid of :( Vet wouldn't say for definate if it could spread to Ebony (that's if Tigger does have it), instructions are to just wait and see if the injections Tigger's had help and if Tigger's still not wanting food or if she picks up then gets sick again they'll want her back in, I got a few scratches now from Tigger (cause of at the vet Tigger really wanted to get the crap out of there), poor girl was really stressing out and freaking out which ain't like her at all :(

I've given her some wet food (as soon as I got back that was the first thing I did) just so she could get something solid down her and so far she's ate it all, going to keep her on wet food for a couple of days then try dry food again see if her mouth is less sore and she's able to eat dry food again *crosses fingers, touches wood*

Little Missy
07-02-16, 08:15 AM
Maybe she needs to have her teeth cleaned. :)

midnightstar
07-02-16, 08:24 AM
Maybe she needs to have her teeth cleaned. :)

Normally dry food is fine to keep a cat's teeth clean, in the wild the bones of their prey would clean their teeth and dry food imitates the bones.

At the moment I'm stressing about the calichivirus thing the vet said about and trying so hard not to google it :(

Little Missy
07-02-16, 08:36 AM
Yeah, it is a pretty rotten virus. Have your cats been inoculated?

midnightstar
07-02-16, 08:41 AM
Yeah, it is a pretty rotten virus. Have your cats been inoculated?

Yep both girls are up to date with vaccinations, what the vet thinks is if Tigger is a carrier she already was carrying it when she went into RSPCA (which could be right cause of Tigger came from a home with way too many cats and dogs and chances are they weren't vaccinated until they all went into RSPCA)

If the vet decides Tigger is a carrier I'm going to see if he thinks Ebony's safe from coming down with it cause of she's up to date with all her vaccinations and everything, same as Tigger (although Tigger's due back in for her vaccinations in October, same as Ebony)

midnightstar
07-02-16, 09:27 AM
Also if the vet says Ebony is in danger of getting it, idk if that would be a death sentence for her cause of her asthma :(

I need to stop jumping the gun don't I?

Lunacie
07-02-16, 10:08 AM
I haven't heard of this virus. I will have to google it myself. Keeping my fingers crossed it's some other kind of virus that's not so serious. :grouphug:

midnightstar
07-02-16, 01:26 PM
I haven't heard of this virus. I will have to google it myself. Keeping my fingers crossed it's some other kind of virus that's not so serious. :grouphug:

Basically Funacie the best way to describe it is a bit like the feline version of aids, once you've got the virus it's in your system forever, like cat flu it's nasty but vaccinated cats should be protected against it (if the vet mentions it again I'll ask if Ebony's at risk of catching it cause of her asthma)

Call me paranoid about it if you like, I just don't want to lose either girl .....

The good news so far is Tigger's been on the scrounge (which is normal for her) so fingers crossed and touch wood she won't go back downhill again .......

AddAnxiousMe
07-02-16, 01:53 PM
Basically Funacie the best way to describe it is a bit like the feline version of aids, once you've got the virus it's in your system forever, like cat flu it's nasty but vaccinated cats should be protected against it (if the vet mentions it again I'll ask if Ebony's at risk of catching it cause of her asthma)

Call me paranoid about it if you like, I just don't want to lose either girl .....

The good news so far is Tigger's been on the scrounge (which is normal for her) so fingers crossed and touch wood she won't go back downhill again .......

Not about cats, although I also have one, but about dogs with bad breath. I always thought that when a dog got older you just had to live with that old dog breath they seem to get a lot, but not so. I took my late dog to the vet to see why her breath was so terrible and he gave her a sedative so he could look around her mouth. It turned out she had infected upper gums and he prescribed an antibiotic called clindamycin. I think she took it for like a week or so and her bad breath smell went completely away. It just goes to show you that animals are like humans, if they aren't acting right (or smelling right), they need to be checked. Just like us, if they are healthy you shouldn't smell anything (although some people just naturally kick!:lol:).
I hope your kitty doesn't have anything serious and feels better soon.
Take care:)

Vector
07-03-16, 12:40 AM
The vet said Tigger's got a sore mouth (gingivitis) and has given her an injection to help with that, he also said Tigger might be a carrier of calichivirus (sp) which is worrying the crap out of me (once a cat has calichivirus - like cat flu - it's there forever, it can't be cured/got rid of :( Vet wouldn't say for definate if it could spread to Ebony (that's if Tigger does have it), instructions are to just wait and see if the injections Tigger's had help and if Tigger's still not wanting food or if she picks up then gets sick again they'll want her back in, I got a few scratches now from Tigger (cause of at the vet Tigger really wanted to get the crap out of there), poor girl was really stressing out and freaking out which ain't like her at all :(

I've given her some wet food (as soon as I got back that was the first thing I did) just so she could get something solid down her and so far she's ate it all, going to keep her on wet food for a couple of days then try dry food again see if her mouth is less sore and she's able to eat dry food again *crosses fingers, touches wood*

Star, I will be sending positive vibes towards Tigger and you during my next metta meditation. :)

stef
07-03-16, 02:05 AM
Star, my thoughts are with you
you are such a caring " cat mom"!

Fuzzy12
07-03-16, 05:50 AM
How stressful. It's not sure yet if she has this virus isn't it?

One of my budgies has something similar. A fungus that lives in her gut. Normally it's harmless but whenever her defenses are down or she's stressed for any reason it makes her ill. We haven't been able to cure her of it and thankfully every bout of this infection she's survived so far but it's a constant source of stress and I too keep stressing that our other budgie might get infected as well.

Huge hugs. I hope it won't turn out to be this virus and if it is fingers crossed and touch wood that she'll manage to fight it off.

midnightstar
07-03-16, 05:58 AM
The only way we can know for sure if she has it is if gingivitis keeps coming back, what's worrying me is Ebony's got asthma and if Tigger's got this virus and if Ebony got it it could kill Ebony (one of the things it affects in the body is the lungs) and the vet wouldn't say for sure whether Ebony would be in danger if Tigger did have the virus.

If gingivitis goes away and doesn't come back according to the vet it'll be proof that Tigger doesn't have the virus.

And I can't tell my family about this cause of my mum will go straight in with "put Tigger to sleep so Ebony don't get the virus even though it ain't certain that Tigger's got it"

midnightstar
07-03-16, 12:15 PM
I've been chatting to someone on a pet forum who has a friend who's got a cat with calichivirus and apparently if Tigger is a carrier of it and if Ebony was going to become sick cause of it, she'd already have got sick from it :D So basically I'm fretting over nothing again :o

AddAnxiousMe
07-15-16, 05:57 AM
So, how is your beloved gato doing? Just curious.
Take care:).

midnightstar
07-15-16, 03:35 PM
Tigger's been doing much better thanks Add :) <3