View Full Version : let's talk about MUSIC

julialouise
07-02-16, 03:02 PM
i know music can be great for ppl like us, and there's so much to say about music, how it makes us feel, what kinds we like, which artists are the best or the WORST

so, let's talk about it!

can you stand pop music? or even prefer it?
(i like some pop music, but i can only handle a small amount of upbeat stuff. i love listening to rap, hip hop, and r&b especially when driving. but i prefer alt rock music)

what music did you LOVE when you were a teenager?
(as a preteen/young teen- fall out boy, my chemical romance, panic at the disco, AFI, and all the bands that fall in line with these. i also really liked indie rock, like arcade fire and of montreal. these bands have bled into my taste for most of my life, but as i became an older teen i started to listen to what i considered "heavier" stuff like avenged sevenfold, of mice and men, and just lots of emo stuff with more screaming. but now, i listen to music that is much more chill. see: shoegaze and dreampop).

what music did you grow up hearing?
i was born into a classic rock family, both parents born in the year 1960. but when i was a young kid, i insisted on listening to Radio Disney and High School Musical. This lasted til age 10 or so.

which artist fueled your "musical awakening" and made you love music?
(hilary duff was my first FAV artist, then MCR, FOB, PATD really made me love music)

do you fall asleep/do work to it?

(it is a nECESSITY).

do you change the song if it isn't "just right?" does this make it difficult to not interrupt whatever u and ur partner are doing *in bed?* (;
(yes yes YES YES YES)

is there stuff you listen to nonstop? are you constantly searching for new stuff?
i listen to certain albums a lot, and then when i get too familiar with them and it gets "overplayed," i need to move on. i use Spotify so i can listen to almost anything for $4.99 a month. Spotify is free, but since i get a student discount, it's worth it. no ads (some of which actually triggered my misophonia), you can download playlists/albums so you can hear them offline, you can skip as many songs as you want on mobile (and you can have stuff offline on your phone too for those long car rides)

do you play an instrument? or are you in a band? or do you wish you could?
i played clarinet from age 11 (?) until now (although I havent played in a year). i was in school band (and i HATED one-on-one lessons with my private instructor). i've tried to learn guitar like 3, 4 times now. i have lots of friends in punk bands and i would love to start one,, and i think i really could if i tried.

literally, say anything you want about music. i love to know about other people's experiences with it!

BellaVita
07-02-16, 05:06 PM
Oh yay!

Yes, as long as it's David Archuleta. I prefer songs that are genuine and have a good message/genuine message and real emotion. Even messy emotion. I like whichever genre he sings it all sounds good. I do however enjoy less artificial sounds and more raw stuff, like just his voice and a piano for example.

David Archuleta

Crappy music that my parents listened to, and then I listened to some other people, and then....I began listening to David Archuleta.

Jennifer LaMountain. When I was 6. (or younger)

I discovered David Archuleta when I was 13 or 14.

Sometimes. Not really fall asleep to it though.

do you change the song if it isn't "just right?" does this make it difficult to not interrupt whatever u and ur partner are doing *in bed?* (;
Huh? I guess I like it to match what I'm feeling, or to cause me to feel things.

Sometimes me and my fiancÚ listen to music together, not sure how that is an interruption.

is there stuff you listen to nonstop? are you constantly searching for new stuff?
I only have David Archuleta's albums on my device and also the piano music my fiancÚ (whose name is coincidentally also David) recorded himself playing for me.

No, I'm not searching for new music really, but my fiancÚ is beginning to show me new music.

I wish I could play piano.

I like to sing.

literally, say anything you want about music. i love to know about other people's experiences with it!
David Archuleta's music changed my life and gave me courage to get through abuse I was going through, and his light and humble attitude inspire me to be a better person.

TurtleBrain
07-02-16, 07:02 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know much about genres of music outside of traditional Christian music. I suppose pop would be sort of a contemporary somewhat soft kind of music... I dunno you tell me lol.

This might sound weird, but I didn't obsess over music as much as most other teenagers that I knew. In my late teens I did take a look at what other teenagers listened to, but it didn't really stick to me for too long. I think it might have been because I had no interest in romance (I still don't) and that's what most music was about anyway. I prefer the christian music on family radio. Now occasionally I might listen to music online from a videogame, movie, or show merely out of nostalgia.

Family Radio and music played at church is the only music I ever heard growing up

I can't really point to one in particular since I never really payed attention to who the musical artists of the songs I listened to growing up.

My house would feel empty if music isn't on

The only music I change around are the ones I have in a youtube playlist . I donn't have a partner, so I am free to do as I please.

is there stuff you listen to nonstop? are you constantly searching for new stuff? this might sound weird, but I enjoy collecting music into youtube playlists and having them play in the background more than actually listening to it. Also, I might listen to something twice, but I can't see myself doing that non-stop (by then, I just won't pay it anymore attention).

I can play the piano by ear. No I don't play in a band. I prefer playing by myself so I don't have to feel obligated to practice reading sheet music. Lol

As you can tell, I'm sort of a free-spirit lone wolf that cherishes my independence. :p