View Full Version : Why do I always RUN AWAY?

tom12983
07-02-16, 09:24 PM
So, for almost a year now, I try to run away from my wife and kids whenever I start feeling anxious and agitated...which is a lot. I can't give you a reason why! I don' know why. All I know is how I feel in the situation and it's intense. I feel like jumping out the window. I find an excuse to leave. When I am finally down the road, I start feeling guilty for abandoning my wife with our 4 kids. My wife has tried to be patient at times, but it has been causing fights more and more. The fighting makes me want to run more and more. I just feel like listening to Matchbox 20 and crawling in a hole. :confused::eyebrow::(

BellaVita
07-02-16, 11:18 PM
Hey, it's okay. :grouphug:

It might be an overload of some sort, perhaps caused by emotional dysregulation. Please don't feel like you're doing something wrong by running away.

Maybe you just need cool off periods or time to get away from the stress and the emotions build up so much that you need to leave immediately.

I mean, running away is better than exploding at your wife and kids.

Maybe you should find a way to explain to your wife that your ADHD causes emotions to be intense, so intense that you don't know how to deal with them, so sometimes you need to run away to calm down for a few hours.

Even NTs do this, but perhaps less often and for shorter time periods.

Don't feel so guilty about it, it's really okay.

Pilgrim
07-03-16, 07:18 AM
I agree with Bella. That feeling of intense anxiety is a tough one.

If it makes you feel any better I had an emotional response just like you describe when I was around a particular person.

It was slightly strange because although it affected me for awhile, it stopped. I went through a desensitisation process I think.

I did have a reason for the way I felt but it wasn't immediately apparent.

sarahsweets
07-04-16, 03:10 AM
Are you diagnosed with adhd or anything else? Are you treating it or on medication?