View Full Version : Taking a break on non work days??

mightyxmouse
07-04-16, 01:07 AM
Hi,

I just started taking Vyvanse about a week and a half ago. Since I work the night/graveyard shift and have a different lifestyle in terms of wakefulness and sleep compared to the norm, my doctor suggested I take days off on the days I don't work. I did that today and I felt like I was just in a ****ty mood all day. Something that upset me lingered with me all day and I couldn't get past it so it affected the way I treated my girlfriend. I would make jokes but sarcastic ones that could hurt if someone didn't know I was joking. Then I would bring up what had upset me during the day that I couldn't get past and it would cause a fight. Then the fight would escalate into a really huge fight to the point that we didn't even want to be near each each other.

I also noticed that after the medication has stopped being effective about 5 hours after taking it, I am irritable or get sad and would try to start something with someone.

The thing I'm trying to ask is... Has anyone ever felt like this on their days off and/or when the medication wears off? What has helped you in these situations?

sarahsweets
07-04-16, 02:32 AM
Why did your doctor suggest you take days off? I know that I am not willing to take days off because I always have adhd and it never goes away. I always need to be medicated because thats what my treatment consists of. Does your doctor only want you to be treating your adhd on some days rather than everyday?

Fuzzy12
07-04-16, 03:45 AM
That's exactly how i felt on my days off and I did exactly the same things. I'd obsess and fume over matters of no importance and pick fights. The only thing that really helped me was to take my meds every day.

QuasarMind
07-13-16, 02:32 PM
I did this for 2 years in a row in 06 and 07 with Adderall and it was great I never even developed the slightest tolerance but I was completely failing to achieve any non-work goal.

aeon
07-13-16, 03:51 PM
I recently tried taking weekends off from Dex.

It has been a complete and total unmitigated disaster from any way of looking at the results.

No more.

My ADHD is 24/7/365, and so my Dex is daily.

Cheers,
Ian

Lunacie
07-13-16, 07:26 PM
Do you pay your bills at work? When do you do all your other chores?

There is still work to be done on your day off, no?

Also, if you drive anywhere on your day off, you're much safer medicated.

If your Vyvanse isn't lasting 8 hours, you may need a booster of IR Adderall to get you past the "crash."

C15H25N3O
07-13-16, 09:56 PM
I take quite often days off and have no problems.

I almost would say the first day off med is better than with med but than i get quite faulty and confused the next days.
I think it could depend on the dosage and impact of amphetamine we take if it works to take a days off. Of course not
to forget other meds we also use if we are prescribed to some.

Everyone is different and I wish there were some brain-fluid genetic test to get the right meds they dont transform us
into ADHD-clones but support our personalities better than some simple standard therapeutical medications.

oasismonkey
08-02-16, 02:00 PM
I have a month off before I begin work. My doctor upped my dose of Vyvanse to 80 mg while I was studying for and taking the bar. He said that I was doing well, which is true, but to see him in 3 months (I had previously been seeing him monthly). I forgot to mention to my doctor that I had a month off after the bar exam, because I saw him the week before the exam and it was hard to think beyond it. My sister is telling me that it isn't normal to take ADD meds during time off according to the people that she knows that takes ADD meds and she is saying I shouldn't be taking the Vyvanse now. I called my doctor's office to see if I should go down in dose. Now my sister has me feeling guilty like some kind of junkie, but I don't think it is a good idea to stop something cold turkey without discussing with my doctor.

Lunacie
08-02-16, 02:27 PM
I have a month off before I begin work. My doctor upped my dose of Vyvanse to 80 mg while I was studying for and taking the bar. He said that I was doing well, which is true, but to see him in 3 months (I had previously been seeing him monthly). I forgot to mention to my doctor that I had a month off after the bar exam, because I saw him the week before the exam and it was hard to think beyond it. My sister is telling me that it isn't normal to take ADD meds during time off according to the people that she knows that takes ADD meds and she is saying I shouldn't be taking the Vyvanse now. I called my doctor's office to see if I should go down in dose. Now my sister has me feeling guilty like some kind of junkie, but I don't think it is a good idea to stop something cold turkey without discussing with my doctor.

I would ask you the same questions I asked the first poster in the thread.

Do you have bills to remember to pay?

There is still work to be done at home, no?

Also, if you drive anywhere, you're much safer medicated.

Yes, you could experience some withdrawal effects if you stop.

It takes time for the body to adjust to having the meds in your system, and then to adjust to not having them anymore.

Yes, check with your doctor for his/her advice.

oasismonkey
08-07-16, 11:08 PM
I would ask you the same questions I asked the first poster in the thread.

Do you have bills to remember to pay?

There is still work to be done at home, no?

Also, if you drive anywhere, you're much safer medicated.

Yes, you could experience some withdrawal effects if you stop.

It takes time for the body to adjust to having the meds in your system, and then to adjust to not having them anymore.

Yes, check with your doctor for his/her advice.

You were right. Doctor said stay at 80 during my time off, and I've actually been PLANNING fun things to do.

cynthiab
08-08-16, 01:51 AM
It would be a disaster for me to be completely unmedicated suddenly for a day, but I do take less on weekends, simply because I sleep in. Basically, I take just one dose and one or two boosters, instead of three boosters like I usually do on weekdays. (I'm on instant release Adderall.) I have kids and if I suddenly have no medication, I feel so overwhelmed it's really hard to be patient, calm and thoughtful with them. Inattention and impulsivity is a real problem even when not working.