View Full Version : Fireworks.

sarahsweets
07-05-16, 03:14 AM
Do you like them?
I hate them. Its not just the noise or lights. Its the whole atmosphere. Sitting around in a buggy field at sunset only to stare at the sky for half an hour looking at the same thing. Sure, they may be different colors, but over all they are the same.
Not to mention that I think they are dangerous when not handled by professionals. I was at a 4th of July thing this past weekend and the homeowner had gone over the state lines and brought back a fireworks kit. Not the crazy ones but still the kind that could easily set something on fire or take off a finger.
I stood far away and thankfully there was no tragedy. It just seems too risky to me.
I think I used to like fireworks, but I am not sure. I do not like being startled. I think they sound like gunshots in the distance and that to me is not pleasant.
Plus, I wonder if they are good for the environment.

Hermus
07-05-16, 03:19 AM
A good professional firework is something I definitely enjoy. Here in Nijmegen we have the yearly event called 'Waal in Vlammen' (Waal in Flames). There always is a big firework over the Waal river that's really beautiful. Amateur fireworks mostly is quite boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Uf1N4ai5k

aeon
07-05-16, 03:23 AM
The only fireworks display that ever made me say “wow” was seeing them in Washington D.C. on the 4th of July.

Otherwise, they are usually...whatever.

Cheers,
Ian

Fuzzy12
07-05-16, 03:47 AM
I quite like professional fireworks though I always feel a bit guilty about it since I guess they aren't too pleasant for dogs, too great for the environment and they are a bit of a waste of money.

A good fireworks display can be really magical though. Especially if it's synchronised with music.

I'm not too keen on having fireworks at home. Standing around in the cold and dark and mostly in the rain for mostly just noise...

The best fireworks display I've ever seen was in London on new year's eve many, many years ago. It was over the Thames and really stunning.

stef
07-05-16, 04:17 AM
I used to love the local ones, when I was little.

The professional fireworks, there are just SO many people. I would love to go see the Bastille day show in Paris next week, but it is SO crowded, then people have firecrackers. And next to impossible to get home after that!

I really think they are beautiful, though.

midnightstar
07-05-16, 04:23 AM
I hate them :( Don't like the high pitched whee noise they make or the bangs.

stef
07-05-16, 07:58 AM
I understand though, that fireworks can be upsetting for veterans and anyone suffering from PTSD; and pets also. and young children! Really I dont think people should be setting them off randomly in their yards, etc.

Unmanagable
07-05-16, 08:26 AM
I view them as yet another very unnecessary and over-the top consumer-driven "tradition" that gets "celebrated" yearly, just like the socially accepted script indicates it should.

Those who continue to use them in spite of knowing the potential dangers of bodily harm, starting fires in wooded/tree areas, the grief they cause veterans, and many others with non-war related ptsd, and knowing the chances of misplacing and harming wild animals due to the loud blasts, and the overwhelming stress it brings to pets don't impress me one single bit.

Something that can create that much harm and discomfort isn't good for the environment, in more ways than one, in my opinion.

They just create another opportunity for me to view the vast amount of the ongoing willing unawareness that surrounds me. I now know better whose energy not to pay a visit to within my own hood.

Fuzzy12
07-05-16, 12:36 PM
Sigh...I looked up the two major fireworks held in my town every year . Both are held in parks next to my house so were super convenient for us and lots of fun..both have been cancelled due to the council having its funding cut. Oh well...I'm a bit disappointed but after reading all the problems with fireworks in this thread I think maybe there is a benefit in cancelling them.

Little Missy
07-05-16, 12:56 PM
I like that the people that made them way back when were called 'Illuminators.'

acdc01
07-05-16, 02:33 PM
I still remember the 1st sparkler I ever saw as a kid and being absolutely hypnotized by its magic. I still feel a sense of pure awe with fireworks but only if it's bigger and better than any fireworks display I've ever seen before. Quite the bummer cause I love that feeling of magic but I can't get it with the same old fireworks display the city throws every year. It's like eh, to me now.

I'm personally all for professional fireworks though. They are magical even if I can't feel the magic anymore. And they are much safer than the amateur ones. As far as pets go, my pets survive the one night even if they don't like it. And vets can wear noise canceling headphones and play loud music if they want. Sorry, I don't think we should give this tradition up for a small minority of people. Pollutionwise, we pollute every day of our lives. I'd have to see stats on how bad the pollution is to change my mind on fireworks.

Fuzzy12
07-05-16, 02:52 PM
I used to love sparklers as a kid!! I still quite like them actually...weather depending. ...:lol:

I agree fireworks can be quite magical. :)

stef
07-05-16, 04:03 PM
sparklers!
also one year at my friend's cabin we had bottle rockets :)

Little Missy
07-05-16, 04:03 PM
I hate the smell.