View Full Version : Outbound call center

julialouise
07-05-16, 11:14 AM
My job practically kills me. The only reason I force myself through it is because it's just a couple dollars above minimum wage. I work in an outbound call center where we ask people in foodservice to do surveys over the phone. I can hardly focus or stay awake on the job and I'm never able to sit down at my cubicle for long. It's also really stressful because more than half the time, the people on the other line would rather do anything besides talk to you. I'm a college student so I need to save money and do as much work as possible, but it is just so difficult. Any advice? Or anyone with similar issues?

Chicky75
07-05-16, 03:28 PM
Ugh, that sounds like my nightmare job. Actually, it was. One of my jobs in college was doing political surveys over the phone. At least then, everyone still had landlines, so there was a chance of getting a busy signal!

Have you looked at other options? I work with a lot of people who are looking for part time or flexible schedule full time jobs that pay more than minimum wage. The three types of jobs that seem to pay a little better are:

Healthcare or health insurance call centers (inbound)
Security officers
Jobs working for support companies at the airport - for example, a company that provides the meals for flights

Little Missy
07-05-16, 04:02 PM
Wait tables! Big money, short hours. :)

stef
07-05-16, 04:11 PM
uggh i did some phone sales during college
it was 3 hours a night
i hated it!

KarmanMonkey
07-08-16, 02:50 PM
Ask yourself if the extra couple $/hr is worth the cost to your sanity.

Any job you hate can't be sustainable. Try looking for something outside the box, so to speak, that you'd enjoy. Connect with a job centre and tell them what you hate about your job, what (if anything) you like about it, and what other types of work you've experienced. They might be able to help you figure out a good work environment for you, and maybe even help you find a job doing it!

In my case, I earned great money in my last career, but I'm much happier in this one.

julialouise
07-08-16, 04:29 PM
Ugh, that sounds like my nightmare job. Actually, it was. One of my jobs in college was doing political surveys over the phone. At least then, everyone still had landlines, so there was a chance of getting a busy signal!

Have you looked at other options? I work with a lot of people who are looking for part time or flexible schedule full time jobs that pay more than minimum wage. The three types of jobs that seem to pay a little better are:
Healthcare or health insurance call centers (inbound)
Security officers
Jobs working for support companies at the airport - for example, a company that provides the meals for flights

we get busies and fax sounds all the time and it's terrible. definitely not as much as you did!! none of those things interest me, and i'm studying to have a career as a teacher. i'm 20 and i'm just trying to find a decent part time job. i also work at a retail shop, but my boss neglected to schedule me for a month.

Wait tables! Big money, short hours.

i can't work anywhere that has food. misophonia.

Ask yourself if the extra couple $/hr is worth the cost to your sanity.

Any job you hate can't be sustainable. Try looking for something outside the box, so to speak, that you'd enjoy. Connect with a job centre and tell them what you hate about your job, what (if anything) you like about it, and what other types of work you've experienced. They might be able to help you figure out a good work environment for you, and maybe even help you find a job doing it!

In my case, I earned great money in my last career, but I'm much happier in this one.

once i start getting regular hours at the retail shop i might quit this job, at least for the summer. but idk, this is my 3rd summer here and i don't think i can continue. i'm amazed i made it this far, but when you only work 3 months at a time, it's not too bad. i also run an etsy shop. i might try to live in my college town next summer or over the winter and i'm going to apply for jobs around there too. i definitely don't mind retail, for some god awful reason.

julialouise
07-14-16, 05:28 PM
update:

I QUIT THE CALL CENTER!!! for the summer. my boss is very receptive and she didnt even make me send in an advance notice about leaving (for which i would have had to stay for 2 more weeks). i just said flat-out in my email that i probably wouldn't be able to wait.

she says i can pick up more hours in the winter if i would like, before i (probably) return next summer. i really think that a new medication will help make it more tolerable, but there's no way to know until i get there! i still have my job at the other place, even though i get very few hours. but, at least i'm taking care of my mental wellbeing. after all, i'm still a student even though i'm hell-bent on becoming independent and having a real savings.