View Full Version : What type(s) therapy are useful for ADD inattentive subtype?

Obsessive_ADD
07-05-16, 04:28 PM
I have to meet with a treatment plan coordinator tomorrow. Based on prior experience with the same facility, they will likely be clueless about treatment of ADD inattentive subtype.

What sorts of therapy are most useful for ADD inattentive subtype? Any help is much appreciated.

Impromptu_DTour
07-05-16, 05:23 PM
Becoming an adrenaline junkie helps.

GoalieMel33
07-05-16, 06:07 PM
I'm diagnosed with ADHD-PI and also deal with shyness as well as communication/interpersonal issues. I'm naturally introspective so was able to get some benefits from it.

Cognitive therapy helped me be more conscious of the way I perceive things. But behavioral therapy worked better because I thrive on challenges and short term results and it gave me the structure I needed to get things done.

I liked the one on one setting more than group since I have a hard time opening up to people. I also did art therapy with an occupational therapist which was good for emotional struggles and expressing myself, but didn't really help for my ADHD.

I did receive coaching from an educator for school related stuff too, like organization and studying techniques plus assistance from an employment counselor.

For me, it's a balance between something that wouldn't make me do all the talking without being too restrictive and goal-oriented (because I sometimes give up under pressure when I feel I might fail or too much is expected from me).

So it really depends on your difficulties and needs. And it all comes down to accepting the way your are and how you function and finding ways to cope and live with it. Life coaching in general could be useful, if you want to learn skills in day to day living (managing budget, making a shedule, etc).

Cognitive and behavioral therapies could be a good start if you suffer from comorbid conditions. Therapist fit is something to consider, what experience they have, how their sessions are (are they directed or you choose what to talk about), their attitude and personality (red flags are lack of knowledge or minimizing what you're going through).

sarahsweets
07-06-16, 05:11 AM
I found therapy with meds to be the most useful. For me, the meds gave me the ability to focus on what I needed to do in therapy.

Cyllya
07-06-16, 06:06 AM
This fancy-schmancy science article (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2909688/) says that CBT is (probably) useful for ADHD, but only if it includes "targeted learning and practice of specific behavioral compensatory strategies."

I haven't had much luck looking into ADHD therapy. Whenever I try to research the possibility, any info about it is either...
really vague, not clear on what exactly the therapy is even supposed to improve
"behavioral therapy" for children who have "problem behaviors"--these usually sound more like thinly disguised parenting classes than therapy
all about helping you deal with the emotional effects of ADHD-related hardships, not actually treating ADHD symptoms directly (this is what I ended up with when I actually went to a counselor; she basically tried to talk me out of believing I was disabled) (this sort of thing could be useful for some people, but it's not what I was looking for)
education about what ADHD is
teaching organizational skills that sound like they're either really obvious and/or something I learned in school (wow, you mean I should make lists??? I never would have guessed :rolleyes:)--maybe they're actually imparting some special super-secret ADHD-specific versions of the techniques, but I can't help but be pessimistic.

I recently had a first appointment with a new counselor who I think specializes in CBT, so I'm hoping this will be fruitful. I'd like to say I'm "cautiously optimistic," but I think "pessimistic but desperate" would be more accurate.

Obsessive_ADD
07-06-16, 04:01 PM
I found therapy with meds to be the most useful. For me, the meds gave me the ability to focus on what I needed to do in therapy.

What kind of therapy? Thanks.

aviyah
07-07-16, 05:19 AM
The best treatment for attention symptoms is meds without any doubt.

For co-existing problems like anxiety, moods, addictions, social skills and general sense of lack of control over your life I suggest Psychotherapy

I also think you should consider physical exercise like running, it helps me alot with anxiety and besides its healthy:)

sarahsweets
07-08-16, 04:31 AM
What kind of therapy? Thanks.

Talk therapy, like with a licensed counselor or psychologist.

Twiggy
07-08-16, 05:43 PM
I will go to therapy today.
Therapy with no medication doesn't help, but I can't take medication anyway.

I keep going around in circles in life. Nothing helps.