View Full Version : Lack of focus in basketball?

barcelonaplan
07-06-16, 11:58 AM
When I go for group training, and when instructions are given out, I am often blur and fog-minded especially when not on medication. Very difficult to focus and remember details like footwork... my working memory lasts literally seconds.. Has anyone encountered this problem and what has helped?? I need to be good in sports...

Greyhound1
07-09-16, 01:11 PM
When I go for group training, and when instructions are given out, I am often blur and fog-minded especially when not on medication. Very difficult to focus and remember details like footwork... my working memory lasts literally seconds.. Has anyone encountered this problem and what has helped?? I need to be good in sports...

I loved playing basketball! I experienced this when I played organized basketball in high school on the team.

I was very good at playing pickup games. There was no coach and no plays to run.

I would lose my abilities to perform playing on the team. My brain couldn't keep up with the plays we were supposed to run. I was like a deer in headlights. I was always getting screamed at by my coach for screwing up or not remembering the plays we run.

I was so humiliated because I could dominate my teammates in a street ball game or one on one. I looked and felt like a fool playing team ball trying too hard to remember plays. It totally handicapped my abilities.

Physically, I had the abilities but mentally I couldn't keep up.

mildadhd
07-10-16, 02:45 PM
I can relate.

I was better at rough and tumble play like tackle football.

Tennis and ping pong where a nightmare.

m

GoalieMel33
07-10-16, 04:56 PM
I participated in various team sports and was the same. In group warmups and practices, I would always be away from my teammates because I couldn't focus and had a hard time following instructions.

I'd stretch or gear up on my own instead of sitting and listening to strategic talk. I wasn't hyper or didn't care, I just knew I could use that time differently since I wouldn't retain it anyway.

Something that could help would be working with a partner. Have a teammate you trust remind you to focus and give you signals when your mind is drifting off.

I had a buddy who was kind enough to make sure I wouldn't zone out when learning self-defense and repeated instructions and showed me the techniques again when I didn't understand. Practicing surroundings alertness will be useful in keeping up with others as well.

If your coach doesn't know about your condition and you feel comfortable enough to let him know, do it, maybe he knows tips or can adjust how he teaches. They probably have some experience dealing with kids and adults who have difficulties.

So I know where you're coming from, concentration was a challenge when I was into sports (unmedicated at the time, I also tend to be rough and too competitive, in addition to having coordination issues).

Sometimes my performance would be great, others times, not so good. It was frustrating to not be able to show what I was truly capable of. My focus was like a roller coaster, I was a goalie, and everytime the play would be on the other side of the rink, my mind would shut off from getting bored.

I had trouble tracking the puck too, losing it constantly and allowing goals like one-timers or deflections, without expecting it. When they were melee in front of my crease, it was hard to follow what was going on, what/who to pay attention to.

Haha my teammates hated when I played on offense because I missed passes all the time and would forget to return to the bench (we switched players frequently) or get there while the play was in our territory (very risky and cost us goals a few times :/). Guess I didn't noticed when they were yelling my name.