View Full Version : Be careful with labeling someone with that

Laserbeak
07-08-16, 05:38 PM
I remember sitting in on a parent-teacher conference when I was in middle school and the stupid teacher said I might need to go to SLD. Then she said, "Let's look at his CTBS scores," which were the State equivalent of SAT or IQ or whatever tests.

The next thing out of her mouth was "OMG, has he ever been tested for the Gifted Program?"

That shows how much they know. I had almost perfect scores, at above 99% of the general school population.

So just because your teacher thinks you're stupid, doesn't mean you are!

By high school, I was actually tested for Gifted and got in (like more than 5 pts. above the minimum IQ)! Plus I took all AP classes and tests and passed them all, mainly with 5s (the highest score).

Lunacie
07-08-16, 07:09 PM
I think you can have a Learning Disability and still have very high IQ.

An LD doesn't mean you're stupid or slow or whatever. It just means something in your brain isn't making connections quite right.

They don't give the SAT in middle school, it's a college admission readiness test. So it wasn't that one.

I just googled:

Learning disabilities, by definition, mean that a person's skills in a particular area (reading, math, visual/auditory processing, etc.) are lower than would be expected by looking at the person's overall IQ.

namazu
07-09-16, 02:09 AM
Lunacie's right -- a learning disability (at least, in the sense the term is used in the US) is not equivalent to generally low intellectual aptitude.

There are many so-called "twice-exceptional" people out there who have both disabilities (including learning disorders like dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, nonverbal / spatial processing problems, etc.) and outstanding abilities in various areas. They're not mutually exclusive, and in fact often coexist, just as ADHD and high IQs or ADHD and talents in other areas can coexist.

The gist of what Laserbeak said is also right -- if you're looking to explain behaviors or educational misfits, it's important to look at the whole picture instead of making (often incorrect) assumptions or applying labels that can (when inappropriately applied / used to pigeonhole) be harmful or limiting.

When appropriately applied and used to help, being diagnosed with a learning disorder isn't inherently a problem. If labeled LD carelessly by a school system that doesn't bother to understand and address students' needs, or where students with LD are written off as "hopeless cases" or "not worth our time", then it can be a big problem.

(For what it's worth, the SAT is sometimes given in middle school as part of regional or national "talent search" programs, to allow students who have particular types of reasoning skills to demonstrate those skills at a level that typical middle-school-level tests usually don't allow. It's not standard practice, but it is done, both for better and for worse, as some forum members can attest.)

TygerSan
08-08-16, 04:10 PM
I know I'm late in responding to this, but what Namazu says is absolutely correct, there are those of us who do not fit the mold in terms of disability or giftedness.

Unlike Laser, I do not tend to test well. My processing speed is slow and I have the equivalent of low RAM; in terms of processing visual-spatial information, my working memory (RAM) is almost non-existent.

However, my verbal skills are exceptional. Sometimes my lack of organization and executive dysfunction bite me in the rear, but I'm pretty damned good at expressing myself, and that tends to (for better or worse) help out in school.

The funny thing about the RAM issue, though, is that if you were to look at my standardized test scores from when I was in 5th grade, they stated almost unequivocally that I was terrible at mathematics. I scored in the 3rd percentile and was therefore being considered for remedial math courses.

Thank goodness my 5th grade math teacher happened to look at the item analysis for the test (the question-by-question results) and noticed something interesting about my performance. Although I technically scored very poorly, the overall score did not tell the correct story at all. Of the questions I had answered, almost all of my answers were correct. The ones that were incorrect were the ones that I had not attempted, because I had run out of time on a timed test.

When I took the test untimed, I did much better, and it was a much better reflection on my mathematical reasoning ability.

A lot of us folks here have non-standard issue brains, and a lot of instruction and assessment is necessarily based on more standard-issue brains. Sometimes it takes a good teacher to differentiate between a performance problem and a skill-based problem. And sometimes the two are intertwined.

midnightstar
08-08-16, 04:13 PM
I've got a learning disability, was tested as an adult and even though I was slower than they expected me to be I apparently got everything right :o

BellaVita
08-08-16, 06:19 PM
I have [undiagnosed but am 100% certain] dyscalculia, so I intensely struggled with math.

But my ability to memorize things helped me out - I basically memorized the problems and different variations of problems and answers and that's how I passed. And also once calculators were allowed I would find out the way to type out the problem and figure it out on there. I most often didn't know how to do a math problem. And I also was somehow a year ahead and continued to take advanced classes. (And made As)

It's because I often worked about 3-4(sometimes 5) hrs at night studying/working on math and the different types of outcomes of equations etc. - I didn't understand how the equations worked. (Not every night but the nights I had to do math homework) Like I said it was mostly memorization. And I was always last to finish on math tests. And I remember after every lesson being clueless about what I just heard because the other kids seemed to get it and I left the classes being completely confused.

My psychologist said the wires hadn't crossed in my brain yet for math - unfortunately they never crossed and I am just as bad at math as I was then. (Can't even do simple calculations in my head etc.)

So I made up for having this learning disability by using my strong memory to keep details in my brain.