View Full Version : Have question about sleep and medication

GalactikJ
07-08-16, 05:43 PM
Hello guys. I am diagnosed with ADD, have been prescribed with adderall IR 20mg 2x daily and have a question about sleep. Some days when I go to sleep I have no trouble at all, but there is some days where I just cant sleep no matter how hard I try.

One time when I was struggling to sleep i took two natural sleeping pills to help me, and some chamomile and I was still struggling to sleep!! I kind of panicked because I had work tomorrow and it was already 4 AM! and yes I take my dosages at normal times so i make sure i dont take it pass noon as told.

Although i must say it doesn't happen often maybe 2x out of the week or so. But the first time it happen I had the worst panic attack and almost called the ambulance because I couldn't fall asleep xD that would've been so embarassing! Although I managed to get a couple of hours of sleep, took my adderall as normal and the day went fine, didn't feel like I had lack of sleep.

But when those days do happen when I can't sleep I just don't know what to do. I'm actually afraid to try sleeping pills OTC, and benadryl because when i took the natural sleeping pills it just made me feel worst. So i'm not sure whether or not to tell my psychiatrist about it out of fear she might take my adderall away which has been helping me with my inattentiveness.

I should mention that it doesn't always happen, but when it does it I seem to get the worst panic attacks. Any suggestions on what I should do? anything will help peeps. Thanks. :)

spunky84
07-08-16, 09:20 PM
Have you noticed a difference on what happens on the nights you can't sleep versus the on nights you can? Are there certain things that happen during the day? Are you taking anything else? Any caffeine?

Even though you're taking your meds at the normal times, does the time vary at all on the nights you can't sleep? Do the panic attacks happen first or the lack of sleep? How do you feel on the Adderall otherwise?

How long ago did you start taking the adderall?

Sorry for the million questions! But there are so many things that could potentially play into it. I would try tracking what's going on each day and see if you can find a pattern. If it just seems too much, talk to your doctor as you could possibly be on too high of a dose or maybe need a different med. It may be helpful to keep a log if you can as it might help your doctor determine if it's the dose, the med, or maybe a side effect or something. It can be helpful if you're able to give them a little more info so they know which direction to go, but if it's too hard on you (with the sleeplessness), talk to your doctor sooner than later instead of trying to suffer through it. Sleep issues can be very difficult to deal with!

GalactikJ
07-22-16, 05:13 PM
Have you noticed a difference on what happens on the nights you can't sleep versus the on nights you can? Are there certain things that happen during the day? Are you taking anything else? Any caffeine?

Even though you're taking your meds at the normal times, does the time vary at all on the nights you can't sleep? Do the panic attacks happen first or the lack of sleep? How do you feel on the Adderall otherwise?

How long ago did you start taking the adderall?

Sorry for the million questions! But there are so many things that could potentially play into it. I would try tracking what's going on each day and see if you can find a pattern. If it just seems too much, talk to your doctor as you could possibly be on too high of a dose or maybe need a different med. It may be helpful to keep a log if you can as it might help your doctor determine if it's the dose, the med, or maybe a side effect or something. It can be helpful if you're able to give them a little more info so they know which direction to go, but if it's too hard on you (with the sleeplessness), talk to your doctor sooner than later instead of trying to suffer through it. Sleep issues can be very difficult to deal with!

Spunky sorry for late response. I forgot I posted here about my situation. Yes i always drink caffeine in mornings as in coffee. I have to admit though, i have a bad habit of trying to watch TV while trying to sleep at same times. Yes the times do matter, i usually like to take my last dose before 12 noon because i remember taking it around 2 because i forgot to take it and it did have an impact on my sleep. I usually get a panic attack for the lack of sleep! because sleep is VERY important. I feel way more focused on adderall, but I honestly dont like taking it everyday. If i dont take my dosages however, im the same how i was before i started taking adderall. I just dont and cant do anything! Because trust me i have done soo many hobbies and tried getting into different subjects only to fail for lack of persistence. I dont know why that happens but i hate not finishing anything! Its even the same when i play video games with friends, workout, thats why I try not to get them to rely on me, but of course not telling them that. I been on Adderall for 2 months. I should mention i drink like 5 protein shakes a day its the optimum one 24g protein, glutamine 4g, and BCAAS per scoop, also i take creatine. Usually when i eat at night i sleep pretty easy, but i dont like sleeping on full stomach, which also causes me to focus on the fact that i just got done eating and i force myself to stay up atleast another hour to digest. I hate sleeping pills though it doesnt even work, i tried it and i was literally awake while dreaming! it was horrible. I usually always even before medicine had some insomnia, i cant just seem to want to sleep sometimes. It can be that i dont like sleep at all though but know the importance of it. I dont know what else to tell you spunky :/ I probly should just stop trying to watch movies before sleeping though...

sarahsweets
07-26-16, 01:58 AM
Spunky sorry for late response. I forgot I posted here about my situation. Yes i always drink caffeine in mornings as in coffee. I have to admit though, i have a bad habit of trying to watch TV while trying to sleep at same times. Yes the times do matter, i usually like to take my last dose before 12 noon because i remember taking it around 2 because i forgot to take it and it did have an impact on my sleep. I usually get a panic attack for the lack of sleep! because sleep is VERY important. I feel way more focused on adderall, but I honestly dont like taking it everyday. If i dont take my dosages however, im the same how i was before i started taking adderall. I just dont and cant do anything! Because trust me i have done soo many hobbies and tried getting into different subjects only to fail for lack of persistence. I dont know why that happens but i hate not finishing anything! Its even the same when i play video games with friends, workout, thats why I try not to get them to rely on me, but of course not telling them that. I been on Adderall for 2 months. I should mention i drink like 5 protein shakes a day its the optimum one 24g protein, glutamine 4g, and BCAAS per scoop, also i take creatine. Usually when i eat at night i sleep pretty easy, but i dont like sleeping on full stomach, which also causes me to focus on the fact that i just got done eating and i force myself to stay up atleast another hour to digest. I hate sleeping pills though it doesnt even work, i tried it and i was literally awake while dreaming! it was horrible. I usually always even before medicine had some insomnia, i cant just seem to want to sleep sometimes. It can be that i dont like sleep at all though but know the importance of it. I dont know what else to tell you spunky :/ I probly should just stop trying to watch movies before sleeping though...

Falling asleep with the TV on not only makes it harder to fall asleep but also makes the sleep you do get less restful.

Mercurial
07-26-16, 02:17 AM
Just a thought, tossing and turning makes things worse. If you cannot sleep, just lay there with some white noise, I use a waterfall. better to relax. So many DVD's out there. Kick in your breathing skills and wow, you may get 2 hours sleep

Merc

GalactikJ
07-31-16, 01:36 PM
Thanks to both of you guys. Yeah I will deff just relax and I also love waterfall noise :) very very relaxing.

maysarieltiff
08-07-16, 01:44 AM
I have also been told (and tried a few times) that listening to something like talk radio helps us with racing minds sleep. I listen to ted talks sometimes when trying to sleep. Sometimes it is soothing, other times I have to listen to the speaker. Maybe finding a boring speaker to listen to is the key. :)