View Full Version : Ignoring the fact that

Opearli
07-09-16, 02:04 PM
No, we're not all equal isn't a very good way to think.
People are confusing the word equality or equity(no not the stuff in your house you own).
Equity means fairness for all, equality means we're all the same.
Do you really want to live in a world where everyone is the same?
I'd rather aim for fairness then equality.
Though i do understand many of you mean equity when you say equality

WheresMyMind
07-11-16, 12:38 PM
No, we're not all equal isn't a very good way to think.
People are confusing the word equality or equity(no not the stuff in your house you own).
Equity means fairness for all, equality means we're all the same.
Do you really want to live in a world where everyone is the same?
I'd rather aim for fairness then equality.
Though i do understand many of you mean equity when you say equality

I agree with you in principle, but the word "equality" has been used so many times by so many people to mean different things, that IMO, the only way to discuss the matter is to begin by clarifying "what I mean by it for this discussion", Sadly, "fairness" is just as abused and also meaningless without context.

I like the following example to illustrate a useful meaning of "fairness". During the jury selection and venue selection for the court trial of Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh, the defendent's attorney requested a mistrial judgment. His basis is "this case has been so sensationalized that it will be impossible to find a jury of people who have not already made up their minds." Judge Richard Matsche replied "Our constitution promises fairness, not perfection. Request denied."

Our system tries to be fair. Most of the time when I encounter people screaming "unfair", it's usually because they haven't achieved a result they wanted. Someone applies for a job, they don't get it. "It's not fair!". How can you know? Do you know how many people applied? If there were 50, and they selected one of the other 49, and you have no idea who they were, how can you claim unfair?

Genuine unfairness does exist - any time we create a bias in hiring, education, etc, we have told the unfavored group that they have to achieve much harder in order to be viewed "equal" by the particular system involved (work, school). We, as a society, somehow deem this intentional unfairness as a means of correcting a wrong...and generally, we seem to think this is OK.

Eventually, in any system that tries to be fair, someone has to define able-bodied...we attempt to make the system fair...but is it possible to make it fair for someone who's developmentally disabled or physically handicapped? Our way around that is forms of subsidy and support...but once a person is receiving such support, they fall off the radar of what the economic system declares to be someone we have to treat fairly. Not perfect. Not evil. Somewhere in between, just like everything else in life.

And yet, why do we focus on the money? It's not well correlated with happiness, power, self-respect, self-esteem or any of the other human qualities we desire.

Ocyan, who started this thread, has made reference to many things that could be reviewed for fairness or equality. Somehow, the notion of "being heard" is one of them. Some of our greatest orators were born poor - Bill Clinton, Martin Luther King, etc. Money is no obstacle to being heard...just figure out a message that most want to hear and you'll have eager flocks listening.

Ocyan says "we all have something to say", and that's true - and I know of no barriers to saying it. Gosh, that's what 99% of the internet is all about. Start a blog, contribute to an existing forum. Write your senators and congressmen or better yet, call them. No time in history have we been this able to get our messages out. When I was growing up, you had to convince the local newspaper editor that your letter to the editor was more worthy of publication than other people's. Today, we have no such gatekeepers.

We have more fair and equal ways to have our say than ever before.

In a later comment, Ocyan says "I know what it means to be second place". Well, there's something. By making that statement, Ocyan acknowledges that HE believes in a human ranking system...even if others don't. I don't accept the existence of a ranking system. Someone has a "higher voice"? What does that mean? I'm thinking he means someone who is more listened to...well, there are lots of books out there on how to communicate so that people will decide YOU are more important to listen to..get one, read it, practice and gain the influence you seek.

To me, fair simply means this: no matter where anybody is in life, they are permitted to seek to improve. Socrates observed that no two human brains are the same, none of us learn the same way, and it's not fair to offer the same assistance to everybody, because everybody needs a different kind. Let them seek their own best form of self-improvement method. Books on the internet, self-help websites.

Whatever you want that you don't presently have, you can Google "how can I obtain"...what do you want? More influence? More wealth? Social status?

Humans tend to create patterns of behavior for the "in" crowd that are more strict than the "out" crowd...therefore easier to quantify. Trust me, whatever crowd you want to hear you - they've been quantified. Find it. That's pretty darned equal to me.

WMM