View Full Version : What happens when you go in for a diagnosis?

Jamit30
07-09-16, 05:22 PM
I am going in this Wednesday and have a list to give to my doctor, but I'm wondering if you could help me to know what to expect? I'm anxious thinking that the dr won't believe me because I'm 45 years old and have never spoke about it. I'm a 2nd grade teacher and I just keep up with my coping skills anymore and it's been affecting my work.

Thanks!

GoalieMel33
07-10-16, 02:18 PM
Will you be consulting with a psychiatrist or a family doctor/generalist? If it's your GP they might refer you to a mental health professional after seeing you for assesment.

Usually it is diagnosed through an interview with you and someone who knows you well from childhood. You might receive questionnaires (related to ADHD or other psychological issues) to fill and sometimes they will ask a family member to complete one as well.

Tests are sometimes given (optional and not a diagnosis tool, primarly to rule out medical conditions, learning disabilities, etc) such as a blood test, neuropsychological eval and more. Given that you will bring a list, he might read it then ask you questions. Or ask you to read it to him and clarify some details.

Life history will be talked about: how you were as a kid, if you struggled with other problems, mental health history in your family, how it affects you know (be prepared to give examples, I advise you to break it down in differents aspects: school, work, money, driving, hobbies, relationships).

It's normally pretty directed so you won't have to explain all the whole time. If you come accompanied, he will probably ask for that person's insight. It can be a good idea to bring old school reports if you have any.

Trust the process and don't worry, a lot of people get diagnosed later in life . Whether it's ADHD or something else, you have the right to know what's up and as a patient the freddom to get a second opinion if you feel the need.

Pilgrim
07-12-16, 06:03 PM
I think a couple of things that help and smooth out the process of consulting with a Psyciatrist are as follows.
They are looking at patterns of behaviour. Don't be put off by the process, it's really quite liberating for someone to ask all those little nagging question that you never really understood why they existed. As said above, I find this simplifies the process, bring out old report cards and delve into those memories of youth. It's a good starting board of understanding because there's probably so much to examine.

It's probably very hard in a way but in the end, if ADD is a real handicap, it's well worth it.