View Full Version : Animals are a lot smarter than most people give them credit for

Laserbeak
07-10-16, 01:08 AM
One test is the mirror test or something like that. Does the animal realize it's looking at itself or another animal?

I was just playing around with my male chameleon with FaceTime on my Mac, and he definitely recognized himself. He was making poses and faces and stuff, not anything like he'd normally do.

They used to think only humans and chimpanzees could recognize they were looking at themselves.

Oh plus when I turned it off he got upset, he wants it back on!

Simargl
07-10-16, 03:42 AM
Haha, I love that he wanted to continue watching himself. Very cute. I will be the first to say that animals are underestimated. They understand and know so much more than most people give them credit for. My cats surprise me everyday. The old man is nearly human.. Although, that might not be much of a compliment.

midnightstar
07-10-16, 04:35 PM
My Ebony's certaintly smarter than some people give her credit for, for example when I'm giving her her inhaler she's worked out to hold her breath completely for as long as she can so if I'm not paying attention I can think she's had her medication when she's not breathed it in :)

salleh
07-12-16, 03:17 PM
I am on Facebook a lot ( over the course of 66 years, I have been a lot of places and mde a lot of friends....FB has let us re-connect so cool ) ...anyway, being a critter lover myself, it seems most of my friends are too, so there's tons of different film clips about critters running through my feed all day long ....

I am constantly amazed at what animals do ....one clip that springs to mind is a couple of horses in their stalls, ...one of them has a toy of some kind ( forget what it was) ....and he kept dangling within reach of the other horse ....and played "Lucy" at him for the longest time ....dangle dangle dangle .....reeeaach .....pulls toy out of reach ....dangle dangle dangle .....reeeaaach ....pulls toy out of reach ....it was very funny ....and went on for at least 5 minutes .....

salleh
07-12-16, 03:22 PM
couldn't find that film clip ..but did find this horse checking himself out in the mirror

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohvmcCEhtDw

salleh
07-12-16, 03:35 PM
While searching for that horse clip, I found this .....I don't know how anyone watching this could not understand that animals love and can remember others they once knew and loved ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF8em4uPdCg

salleh
07-12-16, 03:39 PM
This clip just might be my favorite ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEd9HVt6jyQ

Corina86
07-12-16, 03:52 PM
I had parrots as a kid and, while the females were very nice to their own reflection, "talking" to it, "kissing" it, the male kept attacking it... over and over again. He was a hard learner...

But my favorite moment was when a neighbor brought a cat: the parrots were curious and wanted to let out of the cage to see the cat up close, while the cat freaked out sooo badly, he almost ran out of the apartment!

Conclusion: are parrots smart? No. Are they dumber they humans? I don't know; I've been meeting some pretty dumb humans lately.