View Full Version : My office

stef
07-10-16, 03:15 AM
My reign on the first floor endeth!

I have been alone in an office for four people since they put a department that had been on my wing, on the second floor. It was like Highlander, i was the last one!

I found out on Friday, that they are bringing some people from finance dept down to my floor. they ( my boss/ other manager/) said they put 4 in my office and i move next door to smaller office with one other person. i said no I would'rather stay where i am ( all my stuff is there ....) so they said that was fine.

but then maybe the other office with one person would be better? i dont like being with just one person unless i really, genuinely enjoy their company all day.
but then i would have some time to myself at lunch ( i go out quite late) and at the end of the day. And then my boss tends to barge in like a cheetah with papers or for snacks ( he is hypoglycemic) and it would really distract the others. also they would have to put the desks sideways so we can each see outside. and then who would be in my office? also i had forgotten there would be lots of phone calls and then ppl printing stuff all day.

So this was just decided without really telling anyone first,but at least they were nice about it.
but no more music all day! and i cant zone out too much.

it probably wont actually happen until september but i had better make up my mind and tell HR tomorow before they make plans. what do you think???

Gilthranon
07-10-16, 04:30 AM
I don't really know - I've never been in a situation like that but I'm sure you can figure it out and the posts below this one will be more informative - either way good luck !

Corina86
07-10-16, 05:31 AM
I had a similar choice and I chose to stay with only one person. The 4 people office were more fun at times, but usually it was just horribly distracting and annoying: they insisted on listening to the radio almost all day long, there were lots of people there all the time, they would help me out more, but they would also ask me for help a lot more often since I was always around, I felt that each break I took, each time I left office sooner or arrived a little later or zoned out I was being judged (I don't know if anyone actually cared, but I was always afraid) and the air conditioning was always on, since it got really warm in there. Other arguments were about whether or not we keep the window open or the curtains over the windows or where to put our stuff or whether the door should be left open etc.

TL;DR: If you're chill and easy going, the office with 4 would be better, if you're picky, have lots of pet-peeves, sensory issues and focusing issues, I'd recommend the smaller one.

Little Missy
07-10-16, 07:29 AM
I just had my first cup of coffee and the office thing made me frantic.:eek:

Fuzzy12
07-10-16, 07:48 AM
Do you know the one person you would be sharing with in the other office?

Or The other 3 that would be moving into your current office?

I think what corina said made a lot of sense in terms.of making a choice.

stef
07-10-16, 06:11 PM
Do you know the one person you would be sharing with in the other office?

Or The other 3 that would be moving into your current office?

I think what corina said made a lot of sense in terms.of making a choice.

I know one person from that dept, she seems nice and i recognize 2 others. and then i have no idea which of'the group would be in the small office, anyway.

Corina thanks i had forgotten i get up frequently. also potential disagreements about the temperature!
I would prefer not to relive the Great Heating Wars of 1999-2000 ( one colleague liked cold room and wore big sweater, the other wore liked blouse in warm room...)

i just hope i wont be to be with one person i dislike.

stef
07-11-16, 10:05 AM
WHOA good thing i said something today
and really the small office is better also because *I* have to keep getting up to scan things, etc. It would be very annoying.

I was just with HR (who agrees that the 2 people in the office is best), and she called the other dept. manager while I was with her , and they finalized it.
I dont know the person who will be in the office (had to look on the intranet) but I've seen her and she looks pleasant. :)

aeon
07-11-16, 10:56 AM
WHOA good thing i said something today
and really the small office is better also because *I* have to keep getting up to scan things, etc. It would be very annoying.

I was just with HR (who agrees that the 2 people in the office is best), and she called the other dept. manager while I was with her , and they finalized it.
I dont know the person who will be in the office (had to look on the intranet) but I've seen her and she looks pleasant. :)

Splendid!

Cheers,
Ian

salleh
07-12-16, 03:11 PM
I think you made the right decision ......you do have to get work done there ! and good luck to you .....* makes sacrifices to the gods that Steff gets a fabulous new "roommate" *

stef
07-12-16, 04:16 PM
Well i know. who it is now, but i dont actually know this woman
another advantage is that she won't be working on anything remotely related to my own work. Really this could have been much worse.