View Full Version : Concerta versus generic methylphenidate

MommaLove
07-11-16, 09:47 AM
Can someone please explain the differences and how I go about getting the brand name versus generic for my son?

sarahsweets
07-19-16, 11:37 AM
Concerta is a long acting version methylphenidate in a long acting formulation, whereas generic methylphenidate (brand name ritalin) is just methylphenidate ir.

Both ritalin and concerta have generics available and your doctor can check the 'do not substitue' line on the rx for you to get the brand.

Caco3girl
07-20-16, 10:13 AM
I don't get it...I thought ritalin was only a 4 hour medicine and concerta was an extended release medicine....how can the generic for concerta be ritalin?

sarahsweets
07-26-16, 02:21 AM
I don't get it...I thought ritalin was only a 4 hour medicine and concerta was an extended release medicine....how can the generic for concerta be ritalin?

The generic for concerta is not ritalin but they are both part of the methylphenidate class of drugs.

Dragondad75
10-06-16, 12:04 PM
I realize this is a few months old, but we recently went through this issue with my child. Concerta is methelphenidate which is the generic name for Ritalin. Concerta is long acting entirely due to the delivery method. Approximately 22% is delivered immediately and the remaining is delivered slowly over the next several hours through a tiny hole in a insoluable capsule. There are generics for concerta, but they are NOT ALL THE SAME! 2 of the 3 FDA approved generics are not therapeutically equivalent, meaning that even though the active ingredient is the same, the effect is not because the delivery method is not the same. The FDA actually recently downgraded these 2 generics to non therapeutic equivalent status. The ONLY generic that is the same as concerta is the one manufactured by Activas, and it looks like the concerta capsules. Some pharmacies stock the other generics and dispense them as equivalent even though they are not, and look at you like you are crazy when you tell them. We had to find a pharmacy that dispensed the Activas manufactured generic. In our area Walgreens dispenses the correct generic.

sarahsweets
10-06-16, 12:08 PM
I realize this is a few months old, but we recently went through this issue with my child. There are generics for concerta, but they are NOT ALL THE SAME! 2 of the 3 FDA approved generics are not therapeutically equivalent, meaning that even though the active ingredient is the same, the effect is not because the delivery method is not the same. The FDA actually recently downgraded these 2 generics to non therapeutic equivalent status. The ONLY generic that is the same as concerta is the one manufactured by Activas, and it looks like the concerta capsules. Some pharmacies stock the other generics and dispense them as equivalent even though they are not, and look at you like you are crazy when you tell them. We had to find a pharmacy that dispensed the Activas manufactured generic. In our area Walgreens dispenses the correct generic.

As far as I know, the mechanism of action with concerta is the same for generics and brand due to the whole osmotic pump release thingy. The fillers, binders and coloring can be different and I believe in some cases they can effect how well they work.

Dragondad75
10-06-16, 12:34 PM
As far as I know, the mechanism of action with concerta is the same for generics and brand due to the whole osmotic pump release thingy. The fillers, binders and coloring can be different and I believe in some cases they can effect how well they work.

The Actavis generic is the only one that uses the same OROS delivery method, because it is actually manufactured by the parent company that also manufactures Concerta. The Kudco and Mallinckrodt generics are extended release tablets and have been shown to not deliver the medication in the same way. As a result, the FDA has changed the therapeutic equivalence (TE) rating for the Mallinckrodt and Kudco products from AB to BX. This means the Mallinckrodt and Kudco products are still approved and can be prescribed, but are no longer recommended as automatically substitutable at the pharmacy (or by a pharmacist) for Concerta

Our normal pharmacy dispensed the Kudco to us as equivalent and argued with us. A call to other pharmacies revealed the same issue, we had to find one that dispensed the Actavis manufactured generic.

Even our pediatrician was unaware of this issue

here is the URL for the statement on the FDA website.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm422568.htm

ToneTone
10-13-16, 06:26 PM
Ritalin is an old brand name for methylphenidate ....

Just as Tylenol is a brand name for acetaminophen ... Advil = ibuprofen.

Here is a list of brand names for methylphenidate medications:

Generic Name: methylphenidate

Brand Names: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Are you sensing that your child responded better to a brand name? You'll definitely get charged more ... and you may have to get your doctor to write the prescription specifying the brand name.

When people on the board say "Ritalin" we mean generally just "methylphenidate" ... Ritalin just became a popular brand name like Vaseline and Tylenol, etc ...

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Tone