View Full Version : Firing your Doctor

Laserbeak
07-12-16, 10:53 AM
I don't know where this should go, I guess this is as good as any. Is this too harsh:

Dr. xxxxxx:

Due to your obvious ignorance of the correct prescription practices of narcotic analgesics and their very composition, I will have to see another doctor. A doctor at your former location has already prescribed me 180 5mg Oxycodone. I regret that this has occurred, since I liked you as both a person and a doctor, but you seem unable to properly prescribe narcotic analgesics to those with chronic pain, which is what I need in a medical doctor.

Thank you,

Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxxx

How have you done it?

Little Missy
07-12-16, 01:04 PM
Pretty much the same only I wasn't as nice as you in the letter.

GoalieMel33
07-13-16, 11:19 PM
Looks fine, if you want to make it nicer/less bitter or confronting you could replace ''obvious ignorance'' by ''questionable knowledge'' or ''dubious knowledge''.

And at the end of the letter I'd choose ''safely'' or something like ''I don't feel safe under your care/like I can trust you regarding...'' over ''properly''.

Imho, telling someone they're doing something inproperly (even if it's obvious they are) can make it appear like we're belittling their skills/abilities.

That's just my two cents though, coming from someone who never fired a doctor :)

Laserbeak
07-16-16, 01:04 AM
For those who haven't read my other posts, this doctor didn't know the difference between time-release OxyContin and instant-release oxycodone. Kind of like not knowing the difference between Adderall XR and IR. Plus she wanted to reduce the dosage (eventually down to zero apparently) that I've been on for years for an injury I had more than a decade ago just because she didn't have experience prescribing narcotics (Oxycodone). I was asking about switching to Oxycontin so I would only have to take two pills a day instead of six, but her response made absolutely no sense, saying OxyContin was more dangerous. OxyContin has gotten a bad name because people buy it on the black market and grind it up and snort it or even inject it. But it is just time-release oxycodone so pure oxycodone pills are actually more dangerous since it's just the pure drug without any time-release mechanism. She obviously had no idea about that and she's supposed to be a doctor.