View Full Version : Another try with Dexedrine

foreverwarrior
07-12-16, 01:14 PM
I'll make this short.

Said everyone with ADHD, ever. Right?

Basically, did well on Vyvanse + Dex or Adderal booster for a long time. Insurance changed and switched to Adderall due to not having any coverage for ANY dextroamp stuff. It worked for a while. Eventually, I'd get a burn out. It'd wear off, and I'd get frustrated, and so on - and find myself confused and then exhausted.

I was burning out so badly on Adderall that I lost the ability to deal with stress. He recently prescribed Dex spansules (generic Teva), 15mg x 2 daily.

I've still been taking tiny bits of Adderal, maybe 10mg daily (was doing 20mgx3 IR before), since stopping it abruptly was a no-go. The spansules seem to work well, more or less. However - I'm wondering what some dosage strategies might be for these? I do have a fast burning system, so 60-70mg of Vyvanse would last me maybe 6-7 hours tops. I need to avoid the wear-off effect that causes the confusion from frustration and anxiety. I know dexedrine is just a better choice for me, but 15mg x 2 daily is just a starting point.

1) 1 capsule does OK. I feel decent-ish, and can focus. It burns off quick though.

2) He tried me out with 30mg together. It was a bit much at first, but wore down to a good therapeutic effect after the initial kick (I don't like the rush feeling, the calming focus is what I take it for). It seems like my body likes a bigger dose that evens out after a while. But, that cant go on since I won't continue to overpower myself with the initial few hours.

3) I have Provigil, which I do not really take, for sleep shift (I work in a field that requires schedule changes frequently). He said that may or may not help, but won't hurt at a small dose. I am considering Provigil + Dexedrine. Maybe to reduce the wear off.

The Adderal is my remaining prescription, and he is having me take it as needed until I am used to the Dexedrine. Hard to explain, as I am sort of falling into my confusion state again (I am taking a few hours off meds today, and getting input first) but compared to 60mg of Adderal IR, 30mg of Dexedrine is less D-AMP obviously (but more concentrated?). Any recommendations?

My options are all doc approved: 15mg spansules x 2 daily ; 15mg x 2 w/ 10-30 mg adderal daily; throwing in 50-100mg of provigil to start tuning in the right effect. Basically, if any of you had these medications, what would you be inclined to think is a good starting point? I am not new to the meds, just new to spansules. Dexedrine is great, but it is much more calming than Adderall, so I find myself dragging *** a bit. Just looking to combination ideas with my meds available above and seeing what any of you may do in this situation. The drop off sucks, and it ends up costing me hours of time as I'll even forget to re-dose from getting some frustrated and pacing.

I don't drink, or do any drugs.

Also, looking into L-Tyrosine, and maybe some natural supplements (No, not the Brain pill from GNC - The real stuff/ Helping build dopamine, or refresh the stress response problem) - So anything like that helps too. Me and the doc think the Adderall did burn me out a good deal, and maybe I've got to give myself some brain food (I eat regular healthy meals, but supplements may be in order for a bit). I take Fish Oil, but other than that, nothing else.

Again, I told you I'd make it short. Thanks in advance.

WWYD?

foreverwarrior
07-12-16, 01:34 PM
I also just realized that the spansules work like Adderal XR - 7.5 now, 7.5 later.

I've been pretty "backed up" for the past 4-5 days, due to a lot of air travel and not being able to get my normal exercise in. I'm wondering if that could also be causing a problem with that spansule giving me the second med (its been about 3 days since a BM, and I am backed up, and can feel it). Throwing it out there.

Yeah, sorry, TMI.

redrose
07-20-16, 06:49 AM
I also just realized that the spansules work like Adderal XR - 7.5 now, 7.5 later.

I've been pretty "backed up" for the past 4-5 days, due to a lot of air travel and not being able to get my normal exercise in. I'm wondering if that could also be causing a problem with that spansule giving me the second med (its been about 3 days since a BM, and I am backed up, and can feel it). Throwing it out there.

Yeah, sorry, TMI.

My suggestion is a "Squatty Potty" Best invention since Dex
http://www.squattypotty.com/

Waitingame
08-07-16, 02:35 PM
Someone on this board once made the analogy that Adderall is additive (more dose now = more dose now) and Dexedrine is more like longevity (more Dex = more soldiers lining up for a longer march through the day).

That could be part of it for you?

For me, Dex alone just makes me sit and spin. Need a little bit of Adderall to light the fuse to action, but too much Adderall and I'm angry and sweaty and generally a b!tch. :)

It's never TMI - good clearance makes all the difference in the world, and if you're not getting good clearance, it has been my experience that you can take a huge dose and still not have efficacy.

Totally with you on the insurance not covering even generic Dex IR. (Insert vicious profanity aimed at insurance companies here, plus a half-page rant about insurance companies practicing medicine without a license). Just shelled out $630 for a month of COBRA due to a clerical error at work, and then picked up my Rxs to find I had to shell out $120 for non-covered generic Dex, all of which I could have gotten cheaper at cash prices. Insurance makes this so *#(ing difficult if you don't want to take the latest, greatest brand name that may or may not work.

foreverwarrior
08-22-16, 01:02 AM
Someone on this board once made the analogy that Adderall is additive (more dose now = more dose now) and Dexedrine is more like longevity (more Dex = more soldiers lining up for a longer march through the day).

That could be part of it for you?

For me, Dex alone just makes me sit and spin. Need a little bit of Adderall to light the fuse to action, but too much Adderall and I'm angry and sweaty and generally a b!tch. :)

It's never TMI - good clearance makes all the difference in the world, and if you're not getting good clearance, it has been my experience that you can take a huge dose and still not have efficacy.

Totally with you on the insurance not covering even generic Dex IR. (Insert vicious profanity aimed at insurance companies here, plus a half-page rant about insurance companies practicing medicine without a license). Just shelled out $630 for a month of COBRA due to a clerical error at work, and then picked up my Rxs to find I had to shell out $120 for non-covered generic Dex, all of which I could have gotten cheaper at cash prices. Insurance makes this so *#(ing difficult if you don't want to take the latest, greatest brand name that may or may not work.

Agreed 100% on that analogy. As I've grown and gotten older, and developed some injuries and learned some kickass life lessons (:cool:) - The meds work different. I look back a few years ago taking Dexedrine and Vyvanse, and doing great - just needing a coffee like normal and going about my day. Now, I just get lost in the ether of "...I could totally do that..but if I do, I should .. " and never doing anything. The higher the dose, the better I do short term - but high doses generally don't work well for me in the long run. I'm referring, by the way, to a high dose taken at once (like 50mg of IR per DR instructions) and having it stack up and burn out through a day.

I see the doctor again tomorrow and it's been a few weeks of neuropathy hell. I am totally shot - I've taken small amounts of dexedrine, but keeping up with the pain and cognitive symptoms I have outside of ADHD is just not doable. Tomorrow I'm going over ADHD medication and medication to help the cognitive side of my symptoms. As far as meds go, I have no idea. I'm leaning towards (my doctor had me go over a list of medications and their benefits for the last week, so we can aggressively treat it) something to raise Norep, which is something I think I'm doing poorly with (and its benefits on neuro pain) - And possibly methylphenidate meds for the other side. It's a really tricky one, but ill post any relevant information tomorrow afterwards.

Thanks all.