View Full Version : ADHD college struggle tips

LucyLux29
07-12-16, 07:12 PM
Hi guys,
I was very recently diagnosed with inattentive type adhd. I am not on medication yet,but i am trying. I have failed two semesters of college already and i am about to come back after a two semester break. I really think medicine will help me but i am having problems working up the nerve to outright ask for a stimulate. My doc has me on prozac and wellbutrin as an alternative treatment for my adhd. I have to work full time while i am going to school and that it incredibly hard for me. I rarely find time to study and when i do i can't seem to start. I also tend to read and not adsorb a single thing.
Any tips? Thoughts? Stories?

It may sound dramatic but i really just need to know it is going to be alright. I feel like everyone sees me as stupid or slow.

anonymouslyadd
07-12-16, 09:20 PM
Hi guys,
I was very recently diagnosed with inattentive type adhd. I am not on medication yet,but i am trying. I have failed two semesters of college already and i am about to come back after a two semester break. I really think medicine will help me but i am having problems working up the nerve to outright ask for a stimulate. My doc has me on prozac and wellbutrin as an alternative treatment for my adhd. I have to work full time while i am going to school and that it incredibly hard for me. I rarely find time to study and when i do i can't seem to start. I also tend to read and not adsorb a single thing.
Any tips? Thoughts? Stories?

It may sound dramatic but i really just need to know it is going to be alright. I feel like everyone sees me as stupid or slow.
I wasted several semesters, withdrawing from courses and missing out on getting school paid for free.

After I was married, I returned back to school and took 21 credit hours in about nine months. I earned A's in every course, including a Biology lab course. I graduated with my Associate's degree that spring after messing up for a couple of years. I transferred the next fall to a four-year school and graduated Magna Cum Laude five years later. It took me five years to plow through 60 credits. I worked 40 hours a week the whole time.

You can do school and work at the same time but don't overtax yourself. I did and got burned out. I wouldn't take more than six credits a semester.

Hang in there. :grouphug:

Hiddencreations
07-15-16, 06:10 PM
The first thing I would do is contact your Disability Services center at your college as they will be able to set you up with accommodations that might be helpful. For instance, with their services I am able to have extra time on exams, a computer for exams, and a computer to take notes. They may also have a service that provides help with organization and study skills.

Another thing that you may want to consider, if feasible, is getting a single room. For me that was very helpful in focusing on my own thing because I didn't have to worry about other peoples schedule and distractions as well.

I would also say take a light load if you are already struggling. If you are enrolled as a full-time student take the lightest course load (which may be 12 credits) while at the same time meeting requirements. Something I would do is always making sure there was at least one class that really interest me.

The last is go to office hours even if it is just for 5 minutes because it really forces you to stay on top of everything.

Just some organization tips--the computer really helps for keeping a checklist of everything and also go through the syllabi during the first week and jot down what is due. Even feel free to make your own due dates for each assignment, it is better to break major papers into parts then to pull all-nighters.

Last, set a grade/academic goal for each class. Use apps to monitor your grades and know when to withdrawal from a class.