View Full Version : Going from Adderall to Dexedrine (I hope)

AddAnxiousMe
07-15-16, 05:36 AM
Hopefully I can get it this time! I went to my primary doc and have been put on BP medicine. My BP was 140/100 without any Adderall, so I guess it's my family predisposition to hypertension rearing it's ugly head. So yesterday my psychiatrist switched me to Dexedrine (actually, he always wanted me on it), so I'm hopeful it will help without the extra nervousness the Adderall gives me. I just hope there is no problem getting it. He wrote D-Amphetamine IR 20mgs early morning and another 10mgs early afternoon and "do not substitute with Adderall." The pharmacist didn't seen to understand and asked if I wanted the generic Adderall and not the name brand. I told her that this is only my third time filling a RX for this medication and that I was always supposed to be on dexroamphetamine (Dexedrine) not Adderall. Then she says, "have you gotten the dextroamphetamine here before?":rolleyes: I told her that the other pharmacist just took it upon himself to give me generic Adderall even though the RX always said dextroamphetamine. I explained that I didn't notice the mistake until I was already taking it. The RX bottle only said amphetamine salts on it, but in smaller print under it I noticed it said "dispense for Adderall." Anyway, she still looked confused and asked for my phone number in case she has trouble getting it. She said "we never ordered this before"!:eek: I'm thinking to myself, "how long has she been a pharmacist and she's never ordered Dexedrine before?!" Then she tells me it may take until next Wednesday because their orders have been slow or something. I just said okay and left. I have the feeling that she's going to call and say they don't sell an IR form of dextroamphetamine. Another poster here said that she had the same problem and it took her a month of going back and forth to her doctor, calling her insurance and changing pharmacies because her pharmacist still insisted (even though she provided proof to the contrary) that there isn't a IR generic Dexedrine.
I hope it works out smoothly.

AddAnxiousMe
07-20-16, 06:38 PM
Well I got the Dexedrine (generic) today. They are white diamond shaped pills with a M 10 imprint, and the label says they are made by Mallinckrodt. I took one today and feel okay, but I think I'll need to give it a few days to see how well it works. I only took one 10mg tablet today because it was getting late and I didn't want to be up all night. I pray that it works without the excessive nervousness and rapid heart rate the Adderall gave me.
BTW, Even though it took 5 days to get the dextroamphetamine, they got it. I worried about reports here of some pharmacies not getting the IR form in.

Laserbeak
07-20-16, 06:44 PM
So these are instant release, not the "spansules?"

I switched from Adderall to the Spansules and it worked out quite well. I'm sure there won't be much difference between those and the IR.

adhdseeker
07-20-16, 07:15 PM
I really do not like and do not trust the Mallinckrodt brand!! My other ADHD friend thought they were crap, too, but also thought maybe it was just a bad batch. That's the one brand of Dex I will never get again. If you don't like it, try a different one! I had all sorts of side effects I never had with the others. It made my jaw really tight and I felt much more irritable and negative/pessimistic.

AddAnxiousMe
07-20-16, 07:24 PM
So these are instant release, not the "spansules?"

I switched from Adderall to the Spansules and it worked out quite well. I'm sure there won't be much difference between those and the IR.

Hi LB, Yes, they are IR tablets. I had surgery several years ago to remove 90 percent of my large bowel (I know, yuk) and my surgeon recommended that I stay away from extended release meds of any kind, do to the increased transit time. I guess the pills can come out before they're finished working:o.

AddAnxiousMe
07-20-16, 07:28 PM
I really do not like and do not trust the Mallinckrodt brand!! My other ADHD friend thought they were crap, too, but also thought maybe it was just a bad batch. That's the one brand of Dex I will never get again. If you don't like it, try a different one! I had all sorts of side effects I never had with the others. It made my jaw really tight and I felt much more irritable and negative/pessimistic.

Oh man, I hope I didn't get a bad batch. It took them 5 days to get these ordered in, I can imagine if they have to search around for another brand of generic:rolleyes:.

Laserbeak
07-20-16, 08:04 PM
Hi LB, Yes, they are IR tablets. I had surgery several years ago to remove 90 percent of my large bowel (I know, yuk) and my surgeon recommended that I stay away from extended release meds of any kind, do to the increased transit time. I guess the pills can come out before they're finished working:o.

Don't be embarrassed, everyone should be thankful you got the problem taken care of in time.

It seems, from just my own sense from reading the posts here, that most people on Dexedrine are on the spansules while with Adderall, it's more evenly split between the IR and XR.

I'm sure you'll be fine, I chalk up perceived differences between manufacturers as more psychological and old wive's tales than anything scientifically measurable. You can always try to get it from another pharmacy, maybe they'll have a different brand and you try for yourself, but if these work, it'd just stay with them.