View Full Version : I HATE emergency rooms

Laserbeak
07-16-16, 01:47 AM
Can you believe it took me FIVE HOURS to get two stitches on my finger?

I had the late night munchies and had some bagels and was trying to slice one with an electric knife and it kicked back out of the bagel and I cut my finger pretty bad, there was blood everywhere, so figured I needed stitches.

It was almost midnight, so pretty much everything was closed except the hospital so I went to St. Lukes/Roosevelt/Mt. Sinai and it took them an astonishing 5 hours to put two stitches in my finger!

And to top off the night, i realized I had left my cell phone in the taxi I took to the hospital!

i tracked it down to the medallion number but even though my mom talked to the driver when she called the phone, it doesn't look like I'm getting it back. Luckily I have insurance on it since it's the top-of-the-line iPhone worth like $900 or something!

When it rains it pours!

BellaVita
07-16-16, 01:51 AM
I'm sorry you had to go through that! :(

I'm glad your finger is okay.

Waiting rooms aren't fun.

I don't like that phrase, "when it rains it pours" because that's simply not true. Sometimes when it rains it doesn't pour. Sometimes it just rains lightly. Or at a medium-level.

psychopathetic
07-16-16, 02:32 AM
Jeeze dude :( What a crappy night.

Sorry about the stitches and the phone. That's super frustrating...but at least you'll get a brand new phone out of it :D.

I hate stitches. lol I'm always irrationally afraid the cut they're holding is going to rip open at any given time and it freaks me out.

Hope it's not super painful (cuts on the fingers can be the worse!) and that it heals up quickly for you.

(((Hugs)))

Hermus
07-16-16, 02:44 AM
Jeeze dude :( What a crappy night.

Sorry about the stitches and the phone. That's super frustrating...but at least you'll get a brand new phone out of it :D.

I hate stitches. lol I'm always irrationally afraid the cut they're holding is going to rip open at any given time and it freaks me out.

Hope it's not super painful (cuts on the fingers can be the worse!) and that it heals up quickly for you.

(((Hugs)))

For a long time I used to get a light feeling in my head when I even heard about stitches. A childhod inicident left me with a serious phobia.

Laserbeak
07-16-16, 03:09 AM
The stitches themselves were no problem. I have a perma-script for Oxycodone anyway for an old badly broken arm so even him injecting novocaine or whatever it was didn't really hurt. It was just sitting there on the bed that took forever (not even the waiting room, practically no one was there). There were only like three patients but only one doctor and one patient only spoke Spanish and the other one was some old "New Yawker" who was ******** about everything.

Also, the ******* didn't give me antibiotics, and of course starting the next day or two, the thing started getting infected. But this time the walk-in City MD place was open and it took a total of about 20 minutes to get a prescription for antibiotics.

stef
07-16-16, 03:25 AM
the waiting in the room, is the worst. especially if there is nothing to read or watch.
i kind of have a phobia of emergency rooms since my son broke his wrist shen he was 9. we waited for a long time and then he actually needed surgery that same day.

Laserbeak
07-16-16, 03:39 AM
Oh, BTW, I've already ordered a bagel holder from Amazon. Something no New Yorker should be without! Especially one with an electric knife!

aeon
07-16-16, 02:07 PM
i don't like that phrase, "when it rains it pours" because that's simply not true. Sometimes when it rains it doesn't pour. Sometimes it just rains lightly. Or at a medium-level.

this is lulz! :D

sarahsweets
07-16-16, 03:18 PM
OMG laser I can only imagine the looks on their faces when they found out your prescription history! Judgmental oafs. And we get raked over the coals at premium undisclosed prices for that lousy service.

Laserbeak
07-16-16, 04:11 PM
OMG laser I can only imagine the looks on their faces when they found out your prescription history! Judgmental oafs. And we get raked over the coals at premium undisclosed prices for that lousy service.

Let's just say... they need to make sure printer has been recently refilled with paper! :lol:

Lunacie
07-16-16, 04:18 PM
I'm sorry you had to go through that! :(

I'm glad your finger is okay.

Waiting rooms aren't fun.

I don't like that phrase, "when it rains it pours" because that's simply not true. Sometimes when it rains it doesn't pour. Sometimes it just rains lightly. Or at a medium-level.

That saying was actually an advertising gimmick from 1914 when Morton Salt added something to their salt to keep it from clumping in wet weather.

(My ex worked for Morton Salt)

http://66.media.tumblr.com/789746688cbf1437c35f3eb03e67453f/tumblr_np6tvfJHn11qmho7ko1_500.jpg

Laserbeak
07-16-16, 04:27 PM
That saying was actually an advertising gimmick from 1914 when Morton Salt added something to their salt to keep it from clumping in wet weather.

I knew that. That's why in some cheap restaurants that don't buy Morton's, you see a few grains of rice in the salt shaker to absorb the moisture.

Laserbeak
07-18-16, 12:53 AM
To update you:

I filed an insurance claim and a police report. I gave them the cab's medallion number (that uniquely identifies every taxi in NYC) and the telephone number of the company in Queens it's registered to. So I think NY's finest should be able to track this one down, I practically gave them the driver's name and address.

However, since I started the process to get a new phone, it's irreversible, so I'm getting a new phone anyway. It was only $99 since I hadn't had a claim in over a year (actually never), so I should get it at least by Tuesday afternoon vi FedEX. The phone is worth $949 new, but would be useless to a thief, at best they could salvage some parts from it. The large Retina screen is worth a couple hundred and I don't think Apple's come up with a way to keep stolen ones from being used.

psychopathetic
07-18-16, 01:56 AM
lol you going stir crazy without a phone yet? Least they're shipping it out to you quickly. Are you through Verizon? I've had nothing but excellent experiences with their customer service.

Mercurial
07-18-16, 02:00 AM
The stitches themselves were no problem. I have a perma-script for Oxycodone anyway for an old badly broken arm so even him injecting novocaine or whatever it was didn't really hurt. It was just sitting there on the bed that took forever (not even the waiting room, practically no one was there). There were only like three patients but only one doctor and one patient only spoke Spanish and the other one was some old "New Yawker" who was ******** about everything.

Also, the ******* didn't give me antibiotics, and of course starting the next day or two, the thing started getting infected. But this time the walk-in City MD place was open and it took a total of about 20 minutes to get a prescription for antibiotics.

Great Info,
glad it all workred out. I will not go to an ER unless my hand is chopped off.
I have a weakened immune system, so I have a kit at the ready. Unless it is an artery, I just squeeze it shut, under cold water till it hurts. Sanitize it, seal it with Super glue wrap it with a sanitary swab and duct tape it shut.

http://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/should-super-glue-be-in-your-first-aid-kit

Many survivalists, army guys etc use this especially in jungles where an infection can kill you. I have also stitched up my leg, learned it in a med course.

Not for eveyone..whatever works:)

I am paranoid about hospitals and all the super bugs

Laserbeak
07-18-16, 02:48 AM
lol you going stir crazy without a phone yet? Least they're shipping it out to you quickly. Are you through Verizon? I've had nothing but excellent experiences with their customer service.

I'm using my mom's 5s iPhone (which used to be my iPhone lol). It's amazing how small the screen looks now though after having the 6s+.

According to tracking information, I should get my new one tomorrow. (And those guys at the taxi company who kept blowing me off should get a phone call or visit from the NYPD Detective Squad! ;) )

Seriously, those guys don't screw around. I've worked with them before but I've never had so much evidence and leads as now!

Laserbeak
07-18-16, 03:27 AM

I've got AT&T, I think they all use the same insurance company though. Like I said, the tracking site says I'll get it today (Monday) by 8 PM :yes:

The good thing about AT&T vs. Verizon and the other carriers is that on the iPhone, you can use the Internet simultaneously whilst on the phone. So you can Google a restaurant or something when you're talking to a friend. With the others, that's impossible at least on the iPhone.

Plus, it's got great coverage in NYC.

At home, I have Verizon FioS though for TV, Internet, and phone.. I hardly use the phone, it's just connected to my multi-function printer as a fax line, although it has come in handy during this missing phone crisis.

Laserbeak
07-18-16, 05:29 PM
I got a new iPhone! Thank goodness!

psychopathetic
07-18-16, 07:56 PM
Yay :D

How's the finger feeling?

Laserbeak
07-18-16, 08:46 PM
Yay :D

How's the finger feeling?

It's feeling better now that I've been on antibiotics for a while. I don't have to wear a bandage anymore, but it'll still be a few more days until I'm supposed to get the stitches removed.

Thanks!

Laserbeak
07-18-16, 10:06 PM
Oh, FWIW, the antibiotic is Cephalexin 500mg tid Qty 21.

Laserbeak
07-26-16, 10:21 PM
I could write an opera about this experience....

Bagel malfunction
Lost iPhone
Stitches
Cephelxin
Doxycycline
(No not doxycycline for acne, for infections)
Doxycycline
a week of symptoms like hemorrhagic fever or something (couldn't travel beyond 5 min. of the toilet)
Staphylococcus aureus
sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim
....to be continued

psychopathetic
07-27-16, 03:00 AM
haha :D

Your stitches get taken out?

Laserbeak
07-27-16, 03:54 AM
haha :D

Your stitches get taken out?

Yes, only to find pus that contained staph (confirmed by laboratory)

Laserbeak
07-27-16, 03:58 AM
The scary thing was that really started feeling sick, so I was afraid the bacterial infection was becoming systemic. If it gets much past that level you need to go to the hospital for constant IV drip of antibiotics. I've had that once before, it's not fun. But this gave me another week of a different kind of antibiotic so I think I'll be ok.

stef
07-27-16, 03:59 AM
I could write an opera about this experience....

Or a Broadway show (you're in NY after all!)
hope you feel better

midnightstar
07-27-16, 04:26 AM
(((((Laser))))) :grouphug: hope you feel better soon :grouphug:

Pilgrim
07-27-16, 08:26 AM
I'd be peeved about the phone. Thank god for insurance