View Full Version : Help!

doglover0118
07-18-16, 10:31 AM
my name is Taylor and I am a 22 year old with ADD/ADHD. I have been taking prescribed Adderall XR since I was in middle school (Age 12-14). My pediatric doctor has prescribed me this medication since I began taking it. Now that I am too old to go to a pediatric doctor, I am nervous that I will have a hard time finding a doctor that will prescribe this to me. I have JUST ENOUGH medicine to last me til my first appointment with my new doctor..

I would love to not be reliant on this medication, but I don't even know where to begin. I am an accountant, and without my medicine I am sure I will screw things up.

Tetrahedra
07-18-16, 11:14 AM
Do you have records that you could bring to your new appointment? Can your previous doctor recommend a new doctor?

TurtleBrain
07-18-16, 11:15 AM
Hey, it doesn't hurt to tell your new doctor what worked for you before, I'm sure he'd understand if you show him or her medical records from your previous doctor. You could even show the new doc an old prescription bottle. I don't see why a doc would argue with that.

doglover0118
07-18-16, 11:33 AM
Do you have records that you could bring to your new appointment? Can your previous doctor recommend a new doctor?

Yes, i would assume the new dr would want my previous records. Unfortunately, the doctor that my previous doctor recommended does not take my insurance.

doglover0118
07-18-16, 11:34 AM
Hey, it doesn't hurt to tell your new doctor what worked for you before, I'm sure he'd understand if you show him or her medical records from your previous doctor. You could even show the new doc an old prescription bottle. I don't see why a doc would argue with that.

I agree, i'm just nervous as heck that there is going to be a problem or delay... As I will be out of medicine after this appointment.

Fuzzy12
07-18-16, 11:40 AM
Can your pediatrician refer you to.someone who can continue treating you for adhd?

Tetrahedra
07-23-16, 09:34 PM
Yes, i would assume the new dr would want my previous records. Unfortunately, the doctor that my previous doctor recommended does not take my insurance.

Let him know. He might have other suggestions.

When you get a new doctor, you can ask them on the phone beforehand if he is willing and able to prescribe medications that were prescribed by previous doctors. If so, ask what you need to provide to him for him to fulfill this without a lapse in meds.