View Full Version : Getting the most out of my meds - switched from Adderall to Ritalin

rockfan110
07-18-16, 02:27 PM
Hello all!

I was on 30mg 2/day Adderall for quite some time (2-3 years, something like that) and it helped me tremendously. Unfortunately, for most of that time, I was abusing the medication - blasting through all my pills in 2 to 2.5 weeks instead of the prescribed 30 days. Then recently, my insurance stopped covering Adderall so my doctor (whom I never told about my abuse) switched me to Ritalin, same 60mg/day dosage. Although I abused Ritalin much the same way for the first month, I enlisted the help of a friend this month to help me keep my doses under control, which has worked wonders in helping me to stop blasting through my supply far too early.

Anywho, so far, Ritalin seems a bit less potent for me than Adderall. Granted, I'm taking 20mg Ritalin 3/day so each dose is "less" than the two 30mg Adderalls I was on previously...

(I'm technically prescribed 30mg Ritalin 2/day, but I'm taking 1 pill at a time spread throughout the day, instead of 1.5 pills 2/day, because it fits well with my schedule - 1 when I wake up, 2nd around lunch, 3rd after work)

...but even so, I only feel the most positive effects for only an hour after taking one 20mg pill, with less potent but still noticeable effects for maybe another hour. So after ~2 hours I'm basically back to my ADHD self, having trouble focusing at work and getting depressingly bored at work/home. I've even kinda taken to having some booze some days after work after my 3rd dose wears off just to make the night more entertaining.

So I guess my questions/wondering have to do with how to get the most out of this relatively new medication for me.

Has my past prescription stimulant abuse raised my tolerance through the roof?

Would taking 30mg 2/day instead of 20mg 3/day be more beneficial?
I know you're supposed to take it on an empty stomach, which I usually do, though I often take my 2nd dose with my lunch and I can't tell if there's any difference. Should I always aim to take it on an empty stomach?

I can grab some caffeine any time I want at work, would that help potentiate Ritalin's effect (my body is quite used to caffeine too, though)?

I think I'm on the highest dose my doctor will allow me to go so that's probably out of the question. Any other suggestions on how to get the most out of my meds? Thanks all!

Little Missy
07-18-16, 04:27 PM
Ask your doctor. :)

sarahsweets
07-19-16, 11:51 AM
I am no stranger to addiction- I am an alcoholic. If anything I say seems harsh I mean no offense.

Hello all!

I was on 30mg 2/day Adderall for quite some time (2-3 years, something like that) and it helped me tremendously. Unfortunately, for most of that time, I was abusing the medication - blasting through all my pills in 2 to 2.5 weeks instead of the prescribed 30 days. Then recently, my insurance stopped covering Adderall so my doctor (whom I never told about my abuse) switched me to Ritalin, same 60mg/day dosage. Although I abused Ritalin much the same way for the first month, I enlisted the help of a friend this month to help me keep my doses under control, which has worked wonders in helping me to stop blasting through my supply far too early.
I understand the fear you would have telling your doctor. This happened twice now with both meds. The issue is your compulsion to take more and not being able to control those feelings. Thats the crux of addiction.
Having a friend do what yours is doing sounds like a good idea, but ultimately you are not solving the problem-you are shuffling it to someone else to manage.
You have to learn to handle this on your own.
Not to mention the major risk you have put your doctor in twice already.

Anywho, so far, Ritalin seems a bit less potent for me than Adderall. Granted, I'm taking 20mg Ritalin 3/day so each dose is "less" than the two 30mg Adderalls I was on previously...

You cant compare adderall to ritaling dose-for dose. They are completely different meds.

...but even so, I only feel the most positive effects for only an hour after taking one 20mg pill, with less potent but still noticeable effects for maybe another hour. So after ~2 hours I'm basically back to my ADHD self, having trouble focusing at work and getting depressingly bored at work/home.

I think you are unclear as to what these meds are supposed to do. Feeling good, or that its potent is not what you are supposed to be looking for.

I've even kinda taken to having some booze some days after work after my 3rd dose wears off just to make the night more entertaining.

Again- addict behavior. You have had issues misusing your meds, and are not looking to mood alter with alcohol.
You are not a bad person, but you are overlooking something that can really go downhill real fast.
Even if you dont think you have addiction issues, your actions and behaviors are EXACTLY what addicts do. I think you need to be honest with your doctor and ask for help. A good doctor will work with you. I feel like this could spiral out of your control if left unchecked.

Has my past prescription stimulant abuse raised my tolerance through the roof?

Dont even think about tolerance. This is not your issue.

Please do not think I think poorly of you or am trying to be mean.
Im being serious because what you are doing and talking about is serious.
Sending love your way.....
Please give it some serious thought.

C15H25N3O
07-21-16, 09:46 PM
If you are prescribed to 30mg twice a day you could ask for a third dosage which is not unusual.
Almost a forth small dosage can be taken to avoid the crash and for better sleeping I think.

Ritalin IR should work for 4-5 hours. I never took the second or third dose looking at a timetable.
I always took them when I felt the upcoming crash which was flattened after 5-10 minutes.

Otherwise you can manage your 60mg/day splitting it into 30/20/10mg or 25/25/10mg.

I experienced I needed a strong kick in in the morning and could boost with smaller dosages.

I was used to take 20/10/10/10mg or 15/10/10/5mg.

You should not take Ritalin on an empty stomach. You should have a little breakfast before
or to it and you need carbs and magnesium for a better effect of mythphenidate.

It is quite common to add Strattera to Ritalin if there was an amphetamine abuse.
Also Wellbutrin can be added which boosts Ritalin a lot. For me it was too much of a boost.
Caffeine is also a boost for Ritalin – for some too heavy.