View Full Version : Maximize effectiveness for LSAT

carpetbagger
07-19-16, 01:40 PM
I'm prescribed 30mg of Vyvanse. I usually drink coffee in the morning but the effectiveness is lacking in consistency (today I'm having problems studying).

My question is would I be better off increasing the Vyvanse or adding a booster dose of amphetamine salts or dextroamphetamine? I want to be aware of tolerance and not have that shot to hell by December.

So what should I do to maximize a therepeutic effect?

spunky84
07-19-16, 02:48 PM
How long have you been on it? I'm not sure what you mean as far as what happens, but when I was on 30, it was great for a few days, but after 4-5 days, I wasn't feeling any therapeutic effects.

It was increased to 60 after a week. I was feeling the therapeutic effects, but inconsistent - like some days worked better than others. Some days it didn't seem to work much at all. I was upped to 70 and the effects have been consistent daily.

However, because it only lasted 6-8 hours, I was having caffeine in the morning so that I could take Vyvanse a couple of hours later than usual to get more coverage during the day. It didn't extend it that much and ended up with a booster dose of Adderall IR.

I'd talk to your doctor. It'll probably depend on how exactly the 30 works for you and how your prescribing doctor usually handles it.

sarahsweets
07-19-16, 03:10 PM
I'm prescribed 30mg of Vyvanse. I usually drink coffee in the morning but the effectiveness is lacking in consistency (today I'm having problems studying).

My question is would I be better off increasing the Vyvanse or adding a booster dose of amphetamine salts or dextroamphetamine? I want to be aware of tolerance and not have that shot to hell by December.

What do you mean be aware of tolerance?

mrh235
07-19-16, 08:56 PM

Does it wear off too soon? keep in mind just because you are having problems studying doesn't mean it's a med related issue. For standardized tests, it's better to have an IR med supplement that way you can take it and vyvanse together if the exam is super early or vyvanse takes too long to kick in. Vyvanse takes 2 hrs to kick in and with an early exam like the mcat in my case taking IR adderall at the same time saved my bum otherwise I would have never made it to the exam on time let-alone been able to focus.

be careful when upping the dose unnecessarily and make sure it's actually the med, and not just an excuse because you're having studying issues. I was always very thorough about this.

C15H25N3O
07-20-16, 04:29 AM
Try it without any food for the first 6-8 hours.

carpetbagger
07-21-16, 09:16 AM
thanks for the replies. It seems like lialda a medication I was taking for Chrohn's was counteracting the Vyvanse.

I've been on it for about a week. I got some really good studying in yesterday so I will hold off before increasing.

oasismonkey
08-02-16, 12:25 PM
Congrats on going to law school! I just graduated in May.

OK this is my advice. When I took the LSAT I wasn't on any ADD medication, and I regret that. I got into a top 10 school, but with a high LSAT you get much more merit scholarship $$ so you don't take out as much debt.

I was afraid of ADD meds cause in college because I was given dexedrine and had horrible side effects. I took the bar exam last week, and my doctor had me on 40 mg Vyvanse in morning and 40 mg in afternoon. We started at 30, went to 40, 70, and then 80. When I was at the lower doses I could put in a maybe 5-6 hours of studying and then I couldn't focus. I took the Barbri course to prepare for the exam which expects you to study 8-10 hours a day. I found with the 80 mg that from 8-6 I was able to focus much easier, so I would recommend getting an afternoon dose, so that you don't "hit the wall."

But remember it isn't just the meds that will help you study. Eating right and exercising are essential to improving focus (at least for me).

Erdos30
12-03-17, 05:29 AM
In order to improve the LSAT score one needs a lot of practice. Without hard work you won’t be able to get good score so you should find Practice LSAT Questions and start solving them. It was my strategy which truly worked amazingly.