View Full Version : Concerned about back to school

ADHDWife&Mom
07-19-16, 09:03 PM
My 10yr old was officially diagnosed by a psychologist at the end of the school year (May) and its been a busy summer. We are still working with the pediatrician to give meds a try. Apparently the psychologist's evaluation is not good enough for him. I got a nice lecture about not trying to "create the perfect human by using medication". UGH! Im planning on switching doctors in the future but if we try to switch now it will just slow down this process I think.

Im so worried about him starting back to school in just a few weeks. I dont feel like we are ready with a plan yet. Do you all usually meet with the school before school starts or do you have to wait until after? My son will have the same teacher as last year so she knows him and his areas of concern but we havent made a plan yet. I have ideas of what Id like for him but Im just worried we will start out on a bad foot. Also, the doctor said if we start meds it should be after school starts so that his teachers will know what he is like without meds. I thought it would be better to start them before school so we can see if there are any major side effects before dropping him at school for 7 hours a day. I feel like the teachers do know him very well since he has only been out of school for 2.5 months and seeing the same teachers this year.

Im just very stressed about getting this right so that 5th grade will be better than 4th was.

sarahsweets
07-19-16, 09:52 PM
My 10yr old was officially diagnosed by a psychologist at the end of the school year (May) and its been a busy summer. We are still working with the pediatrician to give meds a try. Apparently the psychologist's evaluation is not good enough for him. I got a nice lecture about not trying to "create the perfect human by using medication". UGH! Im planning on switching doctors in the future but if we try to switch now it will just slow down this process I think.
Find another doctor right away. Dont worry about the process. Red flags are up all over this guy. Already he arrogant by not appreciating what the psychologist thinks, and you know how he feels ahead of time about meds- without even trying them yet. Who makes up their mind before trying anything? Please do not subject your son to his incompetent ideas any longer.

Im so worried about him starting back to school in just a few weeks. I dont feel like we are ready with a plan yet. Do you all usually meet with the school before school starts or do you have to wait until after? My son will have the same teacher as last year so she knows him and his areas of concern but we havent made a plan yet. I have ideas of what Id like for him but Im just worried we will start out on a bad foot.
Has he been formally evaluated by the school?(special services/special ed or child study team? Does he have an IEP or 504? These plans are put in place after the school determines his eligibility through their own eval.

Also, the doctor said if we start meds it should be after school starts so that his teachers will know what he is like without meds. I thought it would be better to start them before school so we can see if there are any major side effects before dropping him at school for 7 hours a day. I feel like the teachers do know him very well since he has only been out of school for 2.5 months and seeing the same teachers this year.

Im just very stressed about getting this right so that 5th grade will be better than 4th was.

Again, do not take your child to this man anymore. He is ridiculous. Of COURSE you want to see for yourself in a home environment how the medication would affect him. And guess what? ADHD is not a school disorder.
I am so angry for you right now.

mrh235
07-19-16, 10:35 PM

Im so worried about him starting back to school in just a few weeks. I dont feel like we are ready with a plan yet. Do you all usually meet with the school before school starts or do you have to wait until after? My son will have the same teacher as last year so she knows him and his areas of concern but we havent made a plan yet. I have ideas of what Id like for him but Im just worried we will start out on a bad foot. Also, the doctor said if we start meds it should be after school starts so that his teachers will know what he is like without meds. I thought it would be better to start them before school so we can see if there are any major side effects before dropping him at school for 7 hours a day. I feel like the teachers do know him very well since he has only been out of school for 2.5 months and seeing the same teachers this year.

The doctor is so sickeningly arrogant and assuming for saying that about not trying to create the perfect human being. Definitely drop him, and give him a piece of your mind. Treating ADHD has nothing to do with creating a perfect human being and he should take you seriously. Starting fifth grade on meds because of how significant they are for ADHD will allow him to basically start out with a clean slate. You're right about side effects too, playing catchup with meds during school is way more stressful for everyone. you're smart and you have it together. Your doctor just doesn't.

Caco3girl
07-20-16, 10:47 AM
Agree, drop the doctor. In our case the school required the medical diagnoses before a 504 could be put in place because the school psychologist wasn't allowed to say ADHD...but he filled out a 20 page report that showed all the signs of it including the behavioral cards filled out by the teachers on what they saw in class.

Also agree, start meds while he is at home, HOWEVER, you should give him a semi-complicated project to see if the meds work. My son said he can't tell when the meds work except that directions are easier to understand and follow when he is on the meds. Even high doses of aderall XR had zero effect on him, I think he is at 54mg on his concerta right now and it reduces the fog by about 25%...but it's not perfect.

My point is the affect may not be noticeable by you if his issues are more ADD and less hyperactive.

ADHDWife&Mom
07-23-16, 03:01 PM
UPDATE:
I had a much better experience when we went for our follow up. I think we had some miscommunication and/or he was having a bad day.

I was able to go to an appt with just the doc and leave the kids at home to allow me to speak with him more easily without constant interruption from bored kids. He also had all of our info from the psychologist this time which allowed him to just go straight to speaking about the medication options. I think the biggest problem was that the psychologist was supposed to fax him the paperwork (evaluation and teacher/parent forms) but she couldnt because I hadnt signed a release and somehow I never got the message. Basically I walked into the pediatricians office asking for meds for my son with no proof that he was ever evaluated which is why the doctor was lecturing me. Im still bothered about that but I can at least understand why he was acting as if I knew nothing of ADHD and just wanted drugs for my kid. I was happy with all of his answers during our second appt. I did get a prescription however it will need to be changed because there is no generic and we can pay the brand name price for something that is our first try of meds. I would prefer to start with something less expensive and see if it works and if not we can move on to more expensive options.

Im still concerned about the plan with school. I guess I just need to call or email them and see what they say about when to start working with them. He is attending a private school and we have no IEP or 504. I know they are used in public schools but Im not sure if that is something we need for his school. They did say we should bring in the evaluation and we could set up accommodations for him though. I just am not sure when to do that, Id prefer before school started but im not sure when the teachers are back to work.

Caco3girl
07-25-16, 11:54 AM
You may want to look up what a 504 and IEP actually are....it doesn't matter if it's a public or private school. A 504 falls under the American's with disability act....it's kind of like saying I'm not sure if the private school has to be wheelchair accessible.

The admin staff will be in at least 1 week prior to school, best to call then and just say "My child has a medical diagnoses of ADHD, and think he may need some accommodations. When can we set up a meeting to discuss that?" Have a list of what you want ready though.

sarahsweets
07-25-16, 01:48 PM
https://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/choosing-starting-school/finding-right-school/6-things-to-know-about-private-schools-and-special-education

http://www.additudemag.com/q%26a/ask_the_learning_expert/5322.html

I think these links are allowed..if not my apologies. The second one i thought was good. This was a quick google search.

The consensus definitely supports private evals from professionals. Communication with the school is also recommended.
Now this is JMO but if your son's school is unwilling to work with you in a satisfactory way Personally I would consider public school where he is guaranteed an education and support services if warranted.
IDEA and PRISE dont seem to apply to private schools but it seems to depend on the school.
Also if you google wrightslaw + private school there were some good hits.

ADHDWife&Mom
07-26-16, 12:37 AM
You may want to look up what a 504 and IEP actually are....it doesn't matter if it's a public or private school. A 504 falls under the American's with disability act....it's kind of like saying I'm not sure if the private school has to be wheelchair accessible.

The admin staff will be in at least 1 week prior to school, best to call then and just say "My child has a medical diagnoses of ADHD, and think he may need some accommodations. When can we set up a meeting to discuss that?" Have a list of what you want ready though.

Oh, I know what they actually are and I know that they legally have to allow them. Im just not sure we have to do it so formally at this particular school. They were really good about it last year when we had no diagnosis and we were just trying whatever we thought might help. Im just thinking that I would like to get it done now but we still have almost a month before school is back, teachers arent even there right now. Im planning to just email admin and let them know I want to have a meeting before school starts, I hadnt really thought about it before and now Im feeling like summer is ending much sooner than I was expecting.

https://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/choosing-starting-school/finding-right-school/6-things-to-know-about-private-schools-and-special-education

http://www.additudemag.com/q%26a/ask_the_learning_expert/5322.html

I think these links are allowed..if not my apologies. The second one i thought was good. This was a quick google search.

The consensus definitely supports private evals from professionals. Communication with the school is also recommended.
Now this is JMO but if your son's school is unwilling to work with you in a satisfactory way Personally I would consider public school where he is guaranteed an education and support services if warranted.
IDEA and PRISE dont seem to apply to private schools but it seems to depend on the school.
Also if you google wrightslaw + private school there were some good hits.

thanks for the advice. His school has actually been great even before a diagnosis so Im not really worried that they wont help him, Im just worried about getting it set up before school starts. Id rather have a plan in place and ready to go when we starts rather than waiting until he's already back. Im sure they'll be fine with it the week before school starts, I think Im just stressing way too early.
We have considered public school and the psychologist and pediatrician mentioned it might be a better fit because they have more structure and more resources but we really love his school and they seem very willing to help him in any way possible so we are going to stick with it for this year and see if things go well. He is going into 5th grade so if he has to go to public school I think it might transition better by just going directly to middle school in 6th grade rather than hopping into elementary in the last year.

Caco3girl
07-26-16, 08:57 AM
You think your summer went fast, in GA the kids start back on 8/1!