View Full Version : Interested in hearing experiences with Kratom

Piper30
07-20-16, 12:02 AM
Ive heard of kratom for years now in the fight against opiate addiction. Recently I stumbled on a small group of ADHD people who have used kratom to stop taking their meds and now strictly use it to manage their ADHD. There isn't much info as it is on kratom and trying to find info as far as kratom and ADHD goes is nearly impossible. Ive become a self taught expert (I saw that jokingly though I know way too much about it lol) on it and this is the one area I can't find information on. Interested in any user experiences with it here. I know its used to treat methadone users in one country and this forum is the only place I know of worldwide users.

It seems anytime I mention kratom I'm bombarded with anti kratom people and told of its dangers. I know the negatives I promise I'm interested only in users experience with it. Thanks for the time in reading..hope to hear from ya.

sarahsweets
07-20-16, 04:15 AM
I just want to say that I am not someone who wants to demonize drugs and whether or not people use them or are addicted, (I am in recovery myself) but IMO there is a huge difference between people that can legally or would like to medically have access to marajuana for whatever reason. That can be grown here safely and in the legal/medical sense its subject to oversight.
Kratom as far as I know has very little available info about its potential in treating certain conditions and how safe it can be.
Just as you mentioned an interaction between provigil and kratom, without any sort of formal testing an evaluation, there could be countless interactions and the general publice would then be playing russian roulette when using it. There is no guarantee that the way its grown or shipped/imported is safe, and because the potential for abuse exists, those grow and import standards are even more worrisome.

United States[edit]
The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has issued a "Drugs of Abuse Resource Guide", which states "Kratom is not controlled under the Federal Controlled Substances Act; however, there may be some State regulations or prohibitions against the possession and use of kratom. Alabama, for example, outlawed the use and possession of kratom in May 2016, and all stores in Alabama were ordered to immediately remove all kratom products from their shelves.[37] In addition, DEA has listed kratom as a Drug and Chemical of Concern."[38] There is no FDA-approved medical use for kratom in the United States.

On June 9, 2015, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced an import alert for kratom, issuing guidance that shipments are to be seized without physical examination from several vendors listed due to concerns that there is no evidence that Kratom does not pose an unnecessary risk of illness or injury, further stating that "[C]onsumption of kratom can lead to a number of health impacts, including respiratory depression, nervousness, agitation, aggression, sleeplessness, hallucinations, delusions, tremors, loss of libido, constipation, skin hyperpigmentation, nausea, vomiting, and severe withdrawal signs and symptoms."[39]

Let me assure you, I am NO fan of the DEA or Custom agents that seize property. I do think the way to solve the problem would be for the US to begin a thorough process of research and testing (as they have done with MJ) so that its established safety can be universal.
People used to think MJ was super unsafe and bad. The only way to find that out was to do research and now we have states who not only passed medical marajuana laws but recreational ones as well.

Fuzzy12
07-20-16, 06:10 AM
I know nothing about kratom but it's good to see you piper. Hope you've been well!! :):grouphug:

Piper30
09-19-16, 09:29 AM
Well, I don't drink nor have I ever tried heroin, and I absolutely hated Strattera.

As far as Kratom goes, it isn't at all what I expected when I first tried it. To be honest I was wary of it. I did so much research I feel confident now in speaking on it. I was worried in seeing deaths linked to kratom, research easily calmed any nerves I had there. In every death polydrug use was the issue. Even in the suicides where kratom was found in the system, there were always levels, and often high levels of anti depressants. Known to cause such tendencies.

As for your reaction to kratom, that is scary. I am guessing you had an allergic reaction to it. Much like I did to passionflower and chamomile.

I was concerned at first at the mentions of it giving some a "high" I was and am not interested in a high. My interest did come from my need for pain management but my absolute hatred for prescription drugs. Prescribed Norco and Fentanyl but I hated both. Still do. Also prescribed Adderall which I am not found of either. Kratom interested me because it is known to help with pain as well as help focus, mental clarity. After trying it I found ..

It did not get me high. In fact I wasn't sure it was working. I didn't feel anything. I like that about kratom. You don't feel it start to work. However my pain dropped quite a bit. Due to a car accident a few years back, walking on my foot is horrible. I shattered it and though I got nifty metal plates in my arms, my foot was left to mend as it was. A boot for months didn't do much for it either. Now walking you can hear/feel crunch and pop accompanied with excruciating pain. I can have them rebreak it and give me more nifty metal, but that costs lots of money. As does the needed surgery on my back and neck. Anyhoo, kratom helps the pain. I only take it twice daily as apposed to my pain meds which I needed every four hours or so. I don't feel chained to a pill anymore I love that.

It also did wonders for concentration. No, up or down with it. Just the ability to read and not have to reread over and over. Things don't seem overwhelming. I have read several studies on kratom and "stimulant" like effects. It isn't like taking an upper or anything. It is incredibly calm, you just .. are able to think. I don't need adderall anymore nor do I need Norco, or Fentanyl, I also don't take anxiety meds anymore. In total I have been able to taper and stop 6 medications using Kratom and for the first time was able to go on vacation with my family. For me personally it has done wonders.

I realize everyone reacts differently though. What works for some, can be disasters for others.

Last thought here.. it is true, many people who once were heroin users do use kratom. Multiple studies have been done concerning it's ability to take away withdrawals. Completely. I was able to stop pain meds cold turkey after years on them, as kratom took away all withdrawals. It is NOT an opiate however it binds to the same receptors. Even still, it's complete reaction is quite different from opiates. I have personally seen hundreds who have used kratom to stop their heroin addiction. Some take it for a month or so to kick their habit, others continue to use it, specifically those who do need pain management but want to avoid opiates. Of course people relapse, but I have seen little of that. Do I think it is the answer for addiction? No, I think recovery is much more than a plant that takes away withdrawals. Do I think it aides in addiction? Absolutely not. You don't need to read much to find that kratom and other opiates used together cancel each out. It is pointless. Searching iamkratom on the popular social media site you find story after story after story of people who kratom has helped, including veterans, law enforcement, medical professionals. These aren't addicts looking for a fix. They are mainly people the medical community has failed who have found an natural alternative and are doing much better for it.

Piper30
09-19-16, 09:30 AM
I know nothing about kratom but it's good to see you piper. Hope you've been well!! :):grouphug:

Fuzzy my love!! It has been forever! I joined the land of the living I guess LOL I hope you are well, shoot me a message when ya have time.

theonlylevi
09-23-16, 12:43 PM
My experience with Kratom isn't the longest. I have been using it mostly for managing chronic shoulder pain from repeated and constant dislocations in both of my shoulders over the past 5 months. Before, I would take multiple doses throughout the day of 10mg Norco and 800mg Ibuprofen were unable to do. It works like the pain is just not there rather than making you high to be able to just deal with it. The best part being is that I am not spending my day in a fog from the pain medication. I can trust myself to not be impaired.

I am not saying that it is 100% safe, but nothing we do is 100% safe. That said Kratom very mild in the way it acts. Though every situation and every person is different. I will not claim it is a miracle plant, but I believe it has a lot of potential and it has worked for me. A lot of the alkaloids in the plant are already researched and known to have beneficial effects. Ajmalicine (Raubasine): Cerebrocirculant, antiaggregant, anti-adrenergic (at alpha-1), sedative, anticonvulsant, smooth muscle relaxer. Also found in Rauwolfia serpentina.

Ciliaphylline: antitussive, analgesic. < 1% of total alkaloid content found in Kratom leaf.

Corynantheidine: μ -opioid antagonist, also found in Yohimbe. < 1% of total alkaloid content found in Kratom leaf.

Corynoxeine: Calcium channel blocker. < 1% of total alkaloid content found in Kratom leaf.

Corynoxine A and B: Dopamine mediating anti-locomotives. < 1% of total alkaloid content found in Kratom leaf.

Epicatechin: Antioxidant, antiaggregant, antibacterial, antidiabetic,
antihepatitic, anti-inflammatory, anti-leukemic, antimutagenic, antiperoxidant,
antiviral, potential cancer preventative, alpha-amylase inhibitor. Also found in dark chocolate.

9-Hydroxycorynantheidine: Partial opioid agonist

7-hydroxymitragynine: Analgesic, antitussive, antidiarrheal; primary
psychoactive in Kratom, Roughly 2% of total alkaloid content found in Kratom leaf.

Isomitraphylline: Immunostimulant, anti-leukemic. < 1% of total alkaloid content found in Kratom leaf.

Isomitrafoline: < 1% of total alkaloid content found in Kratom leaf.

Isopteropodine: Immunostimulant

Isorhynchophylline: Immunostimulant. < 1% of total alkaloid content found in Kratom leaf.

Isospeciofoline: < 1% of total alkaloid content found in Kratom leaf.

Mitraciliatine: < 1% of total alkaloid content found in Kratom leaf.

Mitragynine: Indole alkaloid. Analgesic, antitussive, antidiarrheal, adrenergic, antimalarial,
possible psychedelic (5-HT2A) antagonist. Roughly 66% of total alkaloid content found in Kratom leaf.

Mitragynine oxindole B. < 1% of total alkaloid content found in Kratom leaf.

Mitrafoline: < 1% of total alkaloid content found in Kratom leaf.

Mitraphylline: Oxindole alkaloid. Vasodilator, antihypertensive, muscle relaxer, diuretic, antiamnesic, anti-leukemic, possible immunostimulant. <1% of total alkaloid contents in Kratom leaf.

Paynantheine: Indole alkaloid. Smooth muscle relaxer. 8.6% to 9% of total alkaloid contents in Kratom leaf.

Rhynchophylline: Vasodilator, antihypertensive, calcium channel blocker,
antiaggregant, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, anti-arrhythmic, antithelmintic. < 1% of total alkaloid content found in Kratom leaf.

Speciociliatine: Weak opioid agonist. 0.8% to 1% of total alkaloid content of Kratom leaf, unique to Kratom.

Speciogynine: Smooth muscle relaxer. 6.6% to 7% of total alkaloid contents of Kratom leaf.

Speciophylline: Indole alkaloid. Anti-leukemic. <1% of total alkaloid contents of Kratom leaf.

Tetrahydroalstonine: Hypoglycemic, anti-adrenergic (at alpha-2)

For me when I do take Kratom it helps a little with focus, but I have not tested it on its own. I could see how the white veined strains could lend to focus; the plant is in the coffee family after all.

Most information out there has been anecdotal due to there only being 5-6 ofilcial studies overall on the plant in the US.

From within the Kratom community there has been quite the strong reaction and a quick movement has formed regarding the recent DEA letter of intent.
Hopefully the action that people are taking will open up the availability for it to be researched as well as show it as a viable option to people who feel as though they have none.

GrayBulldog
01-24-17, 09:30 PM
I am a Kratom lover and have been a user for close to two years. Without going into too much detail, it helped me overcome an opioid addiction, which I spiraled into due to that fact that I had found that opioids helped me concentrate. White strains do help me with that now and I feel totally comfortable with the plant. I am proud of our community and the united front we unleashed upon the recent DEA's decision to place kratom on the scheduled 1 list. Kratom is something, for lack of better words, something one has to "play around with" until their "sweet spot" is found and it is generally different for everyone.

sarahsweets
01-26-17, 05:41 AM
I am a Kratom lover and have been a user for close to two years. Without going into too much detail, it helped me overcome an opioid addiction, which I spiraled into due to that fact that I had found that opioids helped me concentrate. White strains do help me with that now and I feel totally comfortable with the plant. I am proud of our community and the united front we unleashed upon the recent DEA's decision to place kratom on the scheduled 1 list. Kratom is something, for lack of better words, something one has to "play around with" until their "sweet spot" is found and it is generally different for everyone.

The only thing I worry about is there is no real "standard" for how to use it or how much you need beyond internet experiences. I am not saying this means officials need to ban it, just that it could be something someone can take too much of due to being uninformed or unfamiliar with it.

Unmanagable
01-26-17, 10:40 AM
The only thing I worry about is there is no real "standard" for how to use it or how much you need beyond internet experiences. I am not saying this means officials need to ban it, just that it could be something someone can take too much of due to being uninformed or unfamiliar with it.

How informed and how familiar are most people with the drugs being handed and prescribed to them daily by doctors? How many folks actually make time to research each and every pill that a supposedly highly trained and skilled paid professional has advised them to take?

I know I do now, but I have plenty of time on my hands. Not everyone is afforded that option and they tend to take for granted that the professionals are on top of their game. Not.

I used to be one of those people. I assumed my doc knew her s***, and if not, I felt secure in knowing the pharmacy would certainly speak up if I needed to be concerned about interactions, etc. But I painfully learned that isn't how it works.

With one of the leading causes of death now being use and mis-use of prescription drugs, I think we can safely give the same high levels of concern to the prescription side of the drug trials being done with individuals that are as legal as you can possibly get.

How often do we hear of new drugs coming out that are supposedly the latest and greatest thing to help ____________, and then a few months later, see the commercials from a legal team of some sort talking about, "If you used __________ and suffered any ill effects, you, too, can contact us for your fair share of the settlement today!" Then find out there weren't any long-term studies done, because we were the guinea pigs all along.

We have two family members fighting prescription drug addiction as I type. The doctors were the pushers in this case. The substances very legal, yet quite lethal. Neither one of them demonstrated ANY addictive tendencies prior to their medication trials.

They have their standards set in place with research, sure, and that's all well and good, but that doesn't always mean they actually know each of their thousands of patients well enough to safely and healthily guide them through the usage of all that s*** they prescribe or hand out as free samples. Especially while they continually ignore the roots of the causes of the symptoms in the first place.

When you have the folks who are making decisions in the higher up spaces in these alphabet agencies who manage this stuff fearing the other decision makers who financially support their existences, you're not going to hear much about any other methods of healing that do not support their bottom lines, unfortunately.

We remain stuck in the dark ages in our thinking of these "mind-altering" substances that were here long before the test tubes and peer reviews arrived, as far I'm concerned.

sarahsweets
01-27-17, 05:18 AM
I should have explained myself better. I didnt mean safety or medical standard as set forth by doctors or pharma- I meant some kind of general info that an average person could find out about in order to remain safe.

icantbelive93
03-23-17, 04:23 PM
I don't have much experience with it but I tried some in Amsterdam. It wasn't what I expected. I felt really mellow and calm. A little like weed but doesn't get you high like weed. More a similar mellow feeling without the "high". If that even makes sense lol