View Full Version : Promising research on OCD.

Jwright7784
07-20-16, 02:18 AM
As an OCD sufferer myself I am quite happy to have stumbled upon this article. It sounds like they may be finally getting close to understanding what causes OCD. This is great news. It may mean an effective treatment will be available soon. I just wanted to share this with everyone else:

http://www.technology.org/2016/07/18/study-points-fast-acting-drug-ocd/

sarahsweets
07-20-16, 03:57 AM
Wow great article. I wonder if the compulsions to drink associated with alcoholism would be another disorder that could be helped in the future?
I an an alcoholic (sober 3 years) and once the physical, addictive chemical component has vanished, the obsession of the mind and compulsion to drink is what is usually battled. This can lead to many relapses.

Jwright7784
07-20-16, 03:53 PM
Wow great article. I wonder if the compulsions to drink associated with alcoholism would be another disorder that could be helped in the future?
I an an alcoholic (sober 3 years) and once the physical, addictive chemical component has vanished, the obsession of the mind and compulsion to drink is what is usually battled. This can lead to many relapses.

That is an interesting thought. I wonder if the causes are the same. My OCD has been a HUGE disruption and I know many who suffer from OCD are also in the same boat. If this research results in a legitimate treatment...the prospects are just very tantalizing. And one thing that is very cool, it sounds like the treatments they used work in a matter of minutes instead of taking weeks. Very exciting stuff. Congrats on the 3 years sober btw, not an easy thing for a lot of people. I've been fortunate in not having had issues with drugs or alcohol but my dad is an alcoholic and my uncle was as well, it actually killed him. I know how hard it can be to fight it.