View Full Version : Do you like sarcasm and dry humor

Gilthranon
07-20-16, 07:39 AM
Who here understands sarcastic humor and likes it ? Just to check. I have the impression whenever I use it people don't see the joke and get offended. Or see it as arrogance or something. It's fragrant because in real life people often laugh, but here it doesn't come through, maybe dosage, maybe lack of tone of voice, write it wrongly ? No idea

Maybe even this came over wrong I don't mean to be egoistic, selfish, arrogant, bragging, just pretend I'm 5yo. Just for exchange of point of views

Unmanagable
07-20-16, 07:52 AM
In person, I can dig it, because I can clearly see it and more accurately read the energies.

In text only, it can only read as each individual perceives (which can go in any direction based on their current state of mind/heart) because there's no visual accompaniment to add any specificity.

It's a crap shoot when typing on a screen because tone, facial expressions, and body language are left out, nor do most folks know anyone here well enough to be able to accurately gauge and translate their mannerisms through text.

Fuzzy12
07-20-16, 07:52 AM
I absolutely hate sarcasm. I don't understand it often either but even when I do I dislike it.

I do like dry humour and even sarcasm by stand up comedians can be funny but I think when employed in social settings, in personal life, it can be too cutting and hurtful especially if it is direxted at just one other person. Often unnecessarily I feel.

Online it's definitely more difficult to get the right tone across and it's often not clear to me at all what is meant sarcastically or seriously.

If I can be honest, with you in particular I often don't understand your writing at all. I find it quite symbolic rather than straightforward, which makes it difficult for me to understand. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's a very valid style of writing..just one that I struggle to understand.

I try to get the gist of what you are saying and sort of ignore the specific lines or phrases I don't understand and am.likely to misinterpret. I work on the assumption that you are a nice guy and I suck at understanding your personal style of writing so I don't respond to those specifics I don't get.

midnightstar
07-20-16, 08:14 AM
I find it hard to understand, which makes it hard for me to follow what my family are on about (they use sarcastic humour a lot of the time), so I end up laughing along and not admitting to not understanding it.

Gilthranon
07-20-16, 08:22 AM
Wow damn serious ? Ok then. I'll try to be more straightforward and maybe tune down the sarcasm because Unmanagable, point taken, and Fuzzy, I had no idea. Thnx so much guys. In real life some people don't get me or my subconscious behavior indicates different than my words, in here, writing symbolically makes it even worse then. I assume many here have that issue with me then. Cool let's change that because I like people.

Fuzzy12
07-20-16, 08:27 AM
No need to change just because I struggle to understand. Others might not. Like I said I get around it by trying to understand the gist of your post or I ask..or sometimes I get it wrong and then you explain yourself again. All fine, I think. .:)

midnightstar
07-20-16, 08:29 AM
Ocyan I think it'll be okay you using sarcasm if you make it clear you're being sarcastic (certaintly when you're having a conversation with me) :grouphug:

sarahsweets
07-20-16, 08:38 AM
Obviously. ;)

stef
07-20-16, 08:50 AM
OMG I love sarcastic and dry humor. And "witty".
I sometimes have a problem with it here, the total British type humor I love doesnt always work. or I get a blank look for a second because they don't know I'm kidding.

This was a big problem for me when I first started living here. I just didnt have the vocabulary for my own sense of humor.

Little Missy
07-20-16, 08:57 AM
Love it. Love it.

But not so when thinly veiled as a joke excuse when it pointedly is not.

Brits got it goin' on in the dry department. LOVE THEM!

DJ Bill
07-20-16, 11:17 AM
I have a similar situation....My jokes seem to fall on deaf ears.. I've given it up in person.
Someone once told me they could never get a straight answer out of me......so I had to look at how I was coming across and change so as not to hurt or offend or annoy people.

I usually don't do sarcasm nowadays.....I've been the target of it too much. And what they call ballbusting....NO.

This is kinda one of the things step 4 work uncovers in recovery...it is a searching and fearless moral inventory (to find our own character defects.) (I hope I can talk recovery here.....)
Good topic.

aeon
07-20-16, 12:27 PM
I love sarcasm when it is used to comment on social issues, institutions, and suchlike, but the moment it becomes
a blade by which to gently cut or out-and-out eviscerate a person, demographic group, etc. I’m done. In that use,
I hate it like Fuzzy.

Dry humor? OMG...some of the best. I am with stef on this, dry British humor...it’s a wonder my side has not
split open such that all my innards are on the floor.

Some of the best of the best is dry British humor using sarcasm constructed by means of wordplay with additional
double entendres. I’ve had laughing fits so long and strong that I have felt like I was going to faint.

Cheers,
Ian

stef
07-20-16, 12:42 PM
But not so when thinly veiled as a joke excuse when it pointedly is not.

indeed!

Gilthranon
07-21-16, 07:44 AM
Obviously. ;)
Don't tell me you're being sarcastic :D Ironically

julialouise
07-23-16, 03:27 AM
i love using sarcasm and dry humor and i love it even more when people use it back or understand me. or i'll just casually say the opposite of what i actually mean to say, or something entirely off-track to catch someone off guard and sometimes it's positive. other times i'm met with "huh's?"