View Full Version : Not getting anything out of Vyvanse anymore?

thewronggirl
07-21-16, 12:10 PM
I think that since I have abused Vyvanse, it has made it impossible for me to get the right effect unless I take an absurd amount. This is really stressing me out because I need this medication for my ADHD when I start college in a month. I would think just go up more MG but I already have 3 times in the past 2 months and no significant improvement. Due to it not working, I double sometimes triple my dosage, which leads me right where I started with the abuse thing. Its like a vicious cycle for me and I don't know how to have self control and just tell myself NOT to give into my cravings? If I do this in college the I am screwed because I will need a pill for each day of the week... PLEASE HELP. Should I get switched to Adderall IR?

sarahsweets
07-21-16, 03:29 PM
Do you take it everyday? Whats your dosage?

C15H25N3O
07-21-16, 09:07 PM
PLEASE HELP. Should I get switched to Adderall IR?

Nope. You will start abusing Adderall too. Why did you triple your dosage? Whats your dosage?

Time for amphetamine holidays. You better have immediately a break for one month and
take the dosage you are adjusted to when college begins. It is maybe your last chance.

What does your physician say? Does he know?

sarahsweets
07-26-16, 02:22 AM
I think that since I have abused Vyvanse, it has made it impossible for me to get the right effect unless I take an absurd amount. This is really stressing me out because I need this medication for my ADHD when I start college in a month. I would think just go up more MG but I already have 3 times in the past 2 months and no significant improvement. Due to it not working, I double sometimes triple my dosage, which leads me right where I started with the abuse thing. Its like a vicious cycle for me and I don't know how to have self control and just tell myself NOT to give into my cravings? If I do this in college the I am screwed because I will need a pill for each day of the week... PLEASE HELP. Should I get switched to Adderall IR?

I think you should see your doctor before doing anything.

Impromptu_DTour
07-26-16, 05:15 AM
Increasing your dosage is obviously a foolish maneuver. CHanging the Stim.. ESPECIALLY going FROM Vyv, pretty much to anything else.. you're running the very real risk of making your addiction worse, because Vyv was designed to be harder to abuse than adderall and ritalin and dysoxin. You're gonna need to take a break. If you see a doctor, you're risking getting yourself blacklisted. Your problem is not with the pills, its how you're approaching them.

Word to the wise: Dr's dont deal with Addictions, they lose their licensees because of them. Unless you have an inhuman level of trust with your Dr, which ive had, it happens.. id be very careful of how you disclose this, if at all. Quite frankly, with a month out from school starting.. in my opinion, its too late to run the risk of loosing your current prescribing Dr.. and find another one who will take you one, and adjust to whatever "conditions" they might have for you're treatment (with.. a Schedule II medication).

You have an opportunity to take control of your own little darkness here, which will have longer lasting positive effects. You're here now, because you couldnt take that lead before. Probably aught to dig deep and take advantage of that, sooner than later, before school starts because its going to be a long year if you're already abusing a stimulant which was designed specifically to be a challenge to abuse.

Im not passing judgement.. we make the choices that we perceive as necessary to maintain some grip on the reality that we are told is the one that is "normal" to have. Just dont forget how much of Developmental and Behavioral disorder ADHD is, because if you forget to take charge of that.. you'll never beat the addiction. If your Dr. DOESNT know.. i would think really hard about how life will be without medication at all when school starts.. if you tell them.

Vitamins,
Exercise,
Water,
Water,
Electrolytes.. because its what plants crave,
And positive reinforcing distractions which will help you in school, because when school hits, those habits are going to turn around and remind you of when you were in school last time.

And you're going to be tired as hell, for an indeterminable period of time.

As Lysdex said.. Sooner than later is an understatement if you only have a month out before school starts. And be serious about it - you dont have time to be gentle with yourself. If your in as much trouble as you say that you are, you'll need to remanage your whole routine to stay away from the RITUAL of the life that you grew ok with being in.. IE: If you used to pop a pill while watching 3rd Rock from the Sun.. then you'll need to stop watching 3rd rock from the sun.. and probably TV all together at that time of the day. I dont know about you, but to say that Im a "Creature of Habit" as someone with ADHD is almost offensively an understatement. You've already talked about "cravings".. so.. dont try and undermine my warning here. You'd be lieing to yourself.

Get ready to find a new (hopefully) healthier and productive addiction to replace, in my experience with addictions and ADHD, you never beat it, you just replace it with something else.. be careful with what you do replace it with.

Be positive. Pretend that you are talking with yourself, from a place in the future, who has beaten this. Hypothetical conversations, reinforcements.. all that hoopla. Its not impossible. but there is no sugar coating for this here.

But.. thats my 2 cents.. i dont trust Dr's because they know more about what they had for breakfast 3 weeks ago than the medications they prescribe.. but their career's are on the line when they do. Obviously im not promoting the misuse of medication.. so dont try and peg that on me. But be realistic with your position, and your allegiances.

iDTour

Impromptu_DTour
07-26-16, 06:07 AM
Ok.. all that "Dr's lose their licenses because of getting people addicted" junk.. intentionally or otherwise, that was a bunch of exaggerated hyperbole.. im sorry. However.. the risk of getting dropped, and making it harder to find a dr to work with you in the small amount of time that, that worst case scenario could happen in, is not so much of an exaggeration.

i just want to be clear, i know when i myself am being a bit of a drama queen. well most of the time anyway. LOL!

I dont mean to be so doom and gloom.. its not that impossible of a place to come back from. It honestly makes it harder, by making it harder in your own mind.. my last post.. not very supportive of how positive of a opportunity you have here.

But to reinforce.. going further down the rabbit hole is not going to make it easier for you.. You need to develop a healthy approach "now", rather than try to find a way to continue on as you are, with some notion that you can figure out some "pharma-hack" to keep from screwing yourself over.. because thats impossible. you're going to have to take a break. Thats not a speculation.. its a fact. Its not going to be easy.. and you're going to have to govern yourself because you will find alot of places to trigger.. trust me. Im an engineering student.. and i just moved my (brand new) family to the town that ive been going to school in for 9 months.. by myself. i look for triggers, because they made me happy when i abused my medication(s). The only way i can avoid them.. (because "this life" is alot to risk), is to stay as far away from fooling myself into believing i can manage myself in the face of "danger".

So.. speaking from experience, as a college student in an intense program, who has delt with a run in with stimulants as "a bit more of a crutch than they should have been".. its not impossible.. but its not a situation to dick around in.. and getting deeper into an addiction, is most certainly not the way to start new school year off.

You need to cleanse, and recognize where you're weak.. and understand that those spaces you can use productively for school instead.. but its not going to be a cakewalk.. expect success, but expect it to be challenging.

iDTour

sarahsweets
07-26-16, 06:28 AM
I agree with you- somewhat. I guess I am conflicted. On one hand, a lot of p-docs deal with people and addictions because mental illness and even adhd go hand in hand with addiction for some people. I dont know how the OP could discuss a dosage issue without disclosing the misuse- yet disclosing the misuse could get her cut off. And to muck it up even more it could be strictly an addiction and the only way I have been able to tackle addiction is abstinence.
Im sympathetic to the college thing- I know it would have helped me had I been treated. I wonder if stopping the vyvanse now, and taking a break would allow the op to try something else that is taken as prescribed?

It sucks because not everyone who misuses a med is necessarily a drug addict and full disclosure is best- IF you have one of those godsend doctors (like I do)
I dont know....still conflicted.

Increasing your dosage is obviously a foolish maneuver. CHanging the Stim.. ESPECIALLY going FROM Vyv, pretty much to anything else.. you're running the very real risk of making your addiction worse, because Vyv was designed to be harder to abuse than adderall and ritalin and dysoxin. You're gonna need to take a break. If you see a doctor, you're risking getting yourself blacklisted. Your problem is not with the pills, its how you're approaching them.

Word to the wise: Dr's dont deal with Addictions, they lose their licensees because of them. Unless you have an inhuman level of trust with your Dr, which ive had, it happens.. id be very careful of how you disclose this, if at all. Quite frankly, with a month out from school starting.. in my opinion, its too late to run the risk of loosing your current prescribing Dr.. and find another one who will take you one, and adjust to whatever "conditions" they might have for you're treatment (with.. a Schedule II medication).

You have an opportunity to take control of your own little darkness here, which will have longer lasting positive effects. You're here now, because you couldnt take that lead before. Probably aught to dig deep and take advantage of that, sooner than later, before school starts because its going to be a long year if you're already abusing a stimulant which was designed specifically to be a challenge to abuse.

Im not passing judgement.. we make the choices that we perceive as necessary to maintain some grip on the reality that we are told is the one that is "normal" to have. Just dont forget how much of Developmental and Behavioral disorder ADHD is, because if you forget to take charge of that.. you'll never beat the addiction. If your Dr. DOESNT know.. i would think really hard about how life will be without medication at all when school starts.. if you tell them.

Vitamins,
Exercise,
Water,
Water,
Electrolytes.. because its what plants crave,
And positive reinforcing distractions which will help you in school, because when school hits, those habits are going to turn around and remind you of when you were in school last time.

And you're going to be tired as hell, for an indeterminable period of time.

As Lysdex said.. Sooner than later is an understatement if you only have a month out before school starts. And be serious about it - you dont have time to be gentle with yourself. If your in as much trouble as you say that you are, you'll need to remanage your whole routine to stay away from the RITUAL of the life that you grew ok with being in.. IE: If you used to pop a pill while watching 3rd Rock from the Sun.. then you'll need to stop watching 3rd rock from the sun.. and probably TV all together at that time of the day. I dont know about you, but to say that Im a "Creature of Habit" as someone with ADHD is almost offensively an understatement. You've already talked about "cravings".. so.. dont try and undermine my warning here. You'd be lieing to yourself.

Get ready to find a new (hopefully) healthier and productive addiction to replace, in my experience with addictions and ADHD, you never beat it, you just replace it with something else.. be careful with what you do replace it with.

Be positive. Pretend that you are talking with yourself, from a place in the future, who has beaten this. Hypothetical conversations, reinforcements.. all that hoopla. Its not impossible. but there is no sugar coating for this here.

But.. thats my 2 cents.. i dont trust Dr's because they know more about what they had for breakfast 3 weeks ago than the medications they prescribe.. but their career's are on the line when they do. Obviously im not promoting the misuse of medication.. so dont try and peg that on me. But be realistic with your position, and your allegiances.

iDTour

Impromptu_DTour
07-26-16, 06:56 AM
I agree with you- somewhat. I guess I am conflicted. On one hand, a lot of p-docs deal with people and addictions because mental illness and even adhd go hand in hand with addiction for some people. I dont know how the OP could discuss a dosage issue without disclosing the misuse- yet disclosing the misuse could get her cut off. And to muck it up even more it could be strictly an addiction and the only way I have been able to tackle addiction is abstinence.
Im sympathetic to the college thing- I know it would have helped me had I been treated. I wonder if stopping the vyvanse now, and taking a break would allow the op to try something else that is taken as prescribed?

It sucks because not everyone who misuses a med is necessarily a drug addict and full disclosure is best- IF you have one of those godsend doctors (like I do)
I dont know....still conflicted.

Conflict is fine =) and I cant speak for every Patient/Dr. relationship involving a Schedule II medication.. but even in saying this, you yourself were guarded against leaving out the real possibility of loosing her meds all together.. and 1 month before school starts.. well.. that would be devastating.

In a perfect world.. ya.. she should be able to talk to her Dr. without worry of judgement.. but.. i dont know what kind of Dr she has.. my advice and hesitation comes from an interpretation that if shes abusing Vyvanse to the level that she is, and is contemplating (with success) the possibility of moving to an increased dose of Adderall IR... or just .. doubling her medication all together.. unless her Dr. is a Dentist.. id be very worried that shes walking into a red card.

Ive had the benefit of having an alteristic relationship with my p-doc.. like you have.. and that is ******* Rare.. With honesty, i was able to tell him.. litterally what to perscribe me, and that was a relationship that i ddint abuse because he gave me that ownership. But i also come from a very solid belief that it is my responsibility to know about my meditative needs.. and to expect my prescribing dr to know those details in every interaction with me, on top of every interaction with all of their other patients.. is.. unacceptable.

Thats the "perfect world" scenario that i picture.. but he retired.. and every Dr since (for years), has litterally said "you know far more about these meds than i do.. because i dont deal with mental health and have never worked with "Adult ADHD".. therefore.. (this is coincidentally funny), I understand that you are moving to start school in 1 month, but.. I need you to undergo a re-evaluation from a Psychiatrist of my choice, and submit to group therapy for 3 months, and ongoing personal 1 on 1 psychotherapy, for 3 months.. before i even prescribe you 10mg of Ritalin once a day.. because (implied) I dont trust you, and i dont know enough about what im doing to take your word for it, without a team of professionals to support me.

This has been a constant struggle for several years.. i cant help but to look back on the fortune that i had, because thats gone, and time and time again.. its been a discriminating constant struggle.. and every doctor has wanted to "start over".

Stopping the Vyvanse now? .. thats the only chance shes got. Thats what Lysdex and I are saying. Im just approaching it from a place of.... make sure that door is still open for you when school starts.. and... without the guarantee that your Dr is like.. a lifelong family friend.. damn. I dont think i would trust that to work out.. with happy music and a comic sans font face in the rolling end credits.

I Mean.. my experiences with all of this.. is of course.. indisputable.. but also.. understandably exclusive to my own experiences.. which are undeniable.. but.. proprietary to my own story.. but its also a perspective that leaves nothing to chance.. because.. at the end of the day.. Drs dont typically like to hear "Hey.. im having a 'dosage issue' with an 'unabusable medication', lets just ignore all red flags and put me on ideally a higher dose instant release quadruple amphetamine salt..?"

Im more of the persuasion that says.. "hmm. a bit Risky.." Lets try and address the real issue, without getting me barred from medication that is useful to me.. when i only have 30 days to get this squared away..

But. thats who i am. And i have trust issues.. and my perspective should deeply reflect that.. and should be valued only as a perspective, and not a definitive outcome. ;) I agree with you that it shouldnt be that way.. and i have experience in a world where i believe that these relationships "should" be.. but.. ive seen it work very unforgivingly in the very opposite direction far more often that my 1 experience with a good dr who trusted me with basically prescribing myself schedule 2 meds. Ive seen some pretty devastatingly unfair things happen to very undeserving peoples.. id hate for the expectation of that possibility here.. to be unaddressed.

iDTour

Pilgrim
07-26-16, 10:35 AM
Addictions aren't bad, As long As there healthy ones. To be honest I haven't mastered myself enough yet to turn away from certain negative behaviours for my life to be smooth running.
I agree with that perspective in dr'r, they will drop you as soon as your looking like a liability.
In regards to over dependence on meds I have found the only thing that works is an accountability partner. And still it's a massive challenge.

Replacing negative loops with better ones is something I vaguely remember from youth. This is a real challenge for anyone with ADD but an evitable and necessary one.

I've now fallen into the whole of blaming all others for my failures but it's not the fault of medication. Just a failure in my reward loop.