View Full Version : Boken/crushed Dex IR -- still work?

adhdseeker
07-23-16, 04:40 PM
Hi, if I have a few broken/crushed Dexedrine pills, and I have weighed them to make sure that it adds up to the standard tablet weight, will they still work/function like a normal pill?

Another way to ask: I had to get 10mg tablets but am only prescribed to take 5mgs of IR Dex. If I break a 10mg tablet in half (evenly divide the weight), will that come out as 5mgs or is there something about how the tablet is put together that would make a half of a 10mg tablet come out with a variant amount rather than a flat 5mgs?

I hope I make sense.

Greyhound1
07-23-16, 06:30 PM
There should be no problem splitting IR tablets. They will work the same. Most are even scored for that purpose.

AddAnxiousMe
07-24-16, 05:45 PM
There should be no problem splitting IR tablets. They will work the same. Most are even scored for that purpose.

I believe this is correct because they don't (as far as I know)make an extended release Dexedrine in pill form, only the spansule caps with the beads in them.

Greyhound1
07-24-16, 05:54 PM
I have been told by my Dr. to split them when necessary referring to IR Adderall and Dextroamphetamine.

Many times I split them when I don't feel the need for a full dose.

sarahsweets
07-25-16, 02:02 PM
Hi, if I have a few broken/crushed Dexedrine pills, and I have weighed them to make sure that it adds up to the standard tablet weight, will they still work/function like a normal pill?

Another way to ask: I had to get 10mg tablets but am only prescribed to take 5mgs of IR Dex. If I break a 10mg tablet in half (evenly divide the weight), will that come out as 5mgs or is there something about how the tablet is put together that would make a half of a 10mg tablet come out with a variant amount rather than a flat 5mgs?

I hope I make sense.

Do you have a pile of powder or just pills cut in half?

Lunacie
07-25-16, 02:25 PM
This pharmacist's letter does not include dexedine tablets on the list of meds that should not be crushed, only the capsules.

file:///C:/Users/Mom/Downloads/300817.pdf

Seems the big problem would be knowing exactly how much you're taking.

Little Nut
08-01-16, 03:21 PM
The 10 mg dexedrines I took were in fact double scored and I was breaking those into guarters at the time. The 10's were a PITA because the breaks were not real clean even w/ a pill cutter, but no major differences between dosing. (Every so often I would get a larger 5 mg split and a larger 2.5 mg split and I would get a smile from that dose, but that's all.) The 5mg tablets I have used give a cleaner break even w/o a cutter.

If worried about uniform distribution w/in a pill I would just do a quick visual after breaking. As long as color is distributed and no visible difference in appearance, I would call it good. -LN