View Full Version : Stimulant misuse problem.

lalalashazam
07-24-16, 06:04 PM
Is Provigil effective for ADD? Is it less abuse susceptible than methylphenidate or dextroamphetamine. My ex is on it and he claims that it works. However, he is also on Dexedrine so I'm far from convinced.

I am currently on Vyvanse and I am having a very hard time taking it as prescribed. I used to do a lot of illegal drugs when I was younger ( cocaine, speed). I have lost my drug-virginity a long time ago. I've combined methamphetamine, ketamine, ecstasy and pot. After that, it's impossible to convince yourself that taking a double dose of prescribed uppers can really hurt you in a physical sense.

But it is hurting me in a different way. Obviously, taking a double dose for the first two weeks of each month means taking zero for the last two. I used to believe if I could only being on top of things half the time I could do so much more. I spend half my time making up for the other half. When I am not on my meds I am seriously incompetent. I don't exactly feel comfortable discussing this with my boss. He must think I'm bipolar--or a drug-addict. He's not wrong. It's just that I'm a much better employee when I'm on them. I'm this close to losing my job.

I told my doctor. Starting next week, my renewals will be every three days. I don't mind. Hopefully this will help. But I can't help thinking it would be a lot easier if there was, like, ONE ADD drug that was both effective and non-addictive. I've tried Strattera but it didn't work. I've heard of Intuniv but when medical professionals prefer the highly addictive options to the safer alternatives, you get a sense that the non-addictive ones are placebo.

Pilgrim
07-25-16, 12:37 PM
In my experience there is no comparison between street drugs and Stimulints.

This always helped me in regard to abuse.

I think in time you become more proficient at dealing with these types of urges.

Fuzzy12
07-25-16, 01:24 PM
I think provigil can be really effective. For me, it made me really alert and energetic so it was easier to get tasks done. I don't know if it's as addictive though I can imagine that it might be. In my case it also gave me bad anxiety though.

Well done for discussing this with your doctor. Have you both also considered that you might need a slightly higher dose to function well enough?

sarahsweets
07-25-16, 01:30 PM
Sometimes People who have has issues with street amphetamines do better with methylphenidate type drugs.

C15H25N3O
07-25-16, 11:26 PM
Sometimes People who have has issues with street amphetamines do better with methylphenidate type drugs.

... and Strattera