View Full Version : Side-Effects from Medications

aeon
07-24-16, 08:52 PM
I had a thought about the end-user experience of side-effects from medications, for ADHD and otherwise.

If someone approaches the introduction of a med with the perspective that anything outside of their usual
state of being is unacceptable, they might be sensitive to low dosages of medications, and be more likely
to find a given med unacceptable.

Whereas if someone approaches the introduction of a med with the perspective and understanding that
side-effects are part of the deal, and to be expected, they may be more tolerant of the introduction of a
new medication, and be better able to participate in the process of titration, if applicable.

Of course, in either case, if a side-effect presents itself that is truly disabling or injurious to well-being,
all bets are off and discontinuation is called for.

tl;dr Are attitude and expectation key aspects of a personís tolerance of side-effects from medication?

Thanks,
Ian

namazu
07-24-16, 09:12 PM
tl;dr Are attitude and expectation key aspects of a person’s tolerance of side-effects from medication?
To some extent, yes, I'd think so.

It seems like advance knowledge of potential side effects could go both ways:
- It might make it easier for people to shrug off minor inconveniences / discomforts if they know they're to be expected and may either disappear with time or be manageable by other means.
- It might make some people hypervigilant about potential side effects and more likely to notice/be bothered by them.

I don't know what roles framing (i.e., how the risks and benefits of medication, titration, and side effects are presented/discussed by prescribers/pharmacists or websites) and anxiety may also play in that.

A person's history of medical treatment (for ADHD and/or other conditions) and experiences thereof seem likely to play a role as well.

A person's awareness / acceptance of their own ADHD (and degree of tolerance of their ADHD symptoms vs. desperation to treat) may also be relevant.

And people may naturally have a higher or lower proneness to and/or tolerance for certain physical sensations, which may strongly influence how bothersome they find particular side effects.

So I guess I'd think that attitude and expectation are important influences on willingness to tolerate side effects, but that there are a lot of other factors in play as well.

Socaljaxs
07-24-16, 10:09 PM
I Whereas if someone approaches the introduction of a med with the perspective and understanding that
side-effects are part of the deal, and to be expected, they may be more tolerant of the introduction of a
new medication, and be better able to participate in the process of titration, if applicable.

Of course, in either case, if a side-effect presents itself that is truly disabling or injurious to well-being,
all bets are off and discontinuation is called for.

tl;dr Are attitude and expectation key aspects of a personís tolerance of side-effects from medication?

For me. I will review potential side effects item,by item and make decisions from there.. I also have a list of nope not gonna risk it possible side effects, and if the side effect,is listed as a possible issue and I have it on my "no way" list even potentially, I won't touch it.. Also the random ones I read that I'm like eww nope not even gonna risk it kinda thing.

So yes my attitude is greatly influencing what I will/won't take.. To many options out there for me to force unwanted effects. However the no way list isn't that long

sarahsweets
07-25-16, 02:07 PM
Google can be great or horrible depending on how hyperfocused I get with it. Getting a basic overview of potential side effects is good for me, but getting fixated on the rare horrible ones can make me a little hypersensitive to every little nuance.

Little Missy
07-25-16, 03:47 PM
If you really want to know the side effects read the PDR.:eek:

aeon
07-25-16, 07:44 PM
For me. I will review potential side effects item,by item and make decisions from there.. I also have a list of nope not gonna risk it possible side effects, and if the side effect,is listed as a possible issue and I have it on my "no way" list even potentially, I won't touch it.. Also the random ones I read that I'm like eww nope not even gonna risk it kinda thing.

So yes my attitude is greatly influencing what I will/won't take.. To many options out there for me to force unwanted effects. However the no way list isn't that long

This is something to explore as well, but I am asking about someone who has already decided to start treatment and then take their prescribed meds.

Deciding whether or not to take the med in question based on its potential side-effects is a whole other kettle of fish.

Thanks,
Ian

Little Missy
07-25-16, 08:32 PM
This is something to explore as well, but I am asking about someone who has already decided to start treatment and then take their prescribed meds.

Deciding whether or not to take the med in question based on its potential side-effects is a whole other kettle of fish.

Thanks,
Ian

Well, holy-moly I have done that and was wildy surprised and I never even bothered to look it up and to this day I still have not. Ancient way back history. I just let it happen and if I am remembering it as clearly as I believe that I do then it really must have been an eye opener. It was.

C15H25N3O
07-25-16, 10:39 PM
Side-effects are unabated and unacceptable and make me refuse a med, similar like I dont eat food that lets me feel awful.
I am very sensitive to meds and feel their potential and effects almost on the first or second pill although others have to take them for weeks.
If I think the first effects are good for me I continue taking it and fight with upcoming side-effects until I get the trick or fine-adjustment to make them proper working.
If there a side-effects showing up after a while I question their roots, try breaks and adjustments to eliminate them.
If it is not possible it is time to get rid of them.

mildadhd
07-25-16, 10:46 PM
I have moderate adult ADHD.

I think I first was diagnosed about 10 years ago.

I started taking methylphenidate IR, then my doctor switched to methylphenidate SR, because I started feeling irritable mood swings as the IR wore off.

I am weighing in on both, the effects side and the side effects.

I think the effects side of ingesting methylphenidate SR, overall has been a good treatment experience for me.

I want to learn to take medication as prescribed, and also recognize and deal with the side effects, better.

I want to learn with my doctor's guidance to take ADHD medication holidays the right way, without demonizing the medication.

I always discuss with my doctor before I take a medication holiday, because not all types of peoples and/or types of medications take holidays.

m

aeon
07-25-16, 11:00 PM
For myself, I expected Dexedrine™ to have side-effects, and for me, indeed it does.

None are problematic enough to discontinue treatment.

Perhaps that is because I expected there to be side-effects.

And as a whole, they are a lot less disabling than my ADHD!

Cheers,
Ian