View Full Version : Is it true that caffeine is supposed to make ADHDers sleepy?

ZayKayWill
07-24-16, 11:45 PM
When I was young coffee used to make me sleepy now whenever I take it I barely notice that coffee will do anything to me. It's weird, though, because not everyone that has ADHD gets tired from coffee apparently. Also sorry if this is the wrong place to post this wasn't sure where to post this kind of question...

sarahsweets
07-25-16, 08:09 AM
I think its a myth personally. I have never felt sleepy with caffeine.

Little Missy
07-25-16, 08:30 AM
It does not make me feel sleepy but I am able to sleep or take a nap if I need to after drinking coffee or espresso.

Fuzzy12
07-25-16, 08:46 AM
It doesn't make me sleepy but neither does it help me fee alert and awake. It just makes me jittery and antsy..

Pilgrim
07-25-16, 09:03 AM
It doesn't make me sleepy either, but it relaxes me.

aeon
07-25-16, 10:42 AM
It has never made me sleepy, but it has helped me to sleep when I wanted to.

It has also done all sorts of other things not related to sleep, some of which are contradictory,
so I think it has a lot to do with where I am mentally, physically, and what I am doing at the time.

Cheers,
Ian

spunky84
07-25-16, 11:09 AM
I'd imagine it depends on the person, in general and not with just adhd. Some people have opposite affect of drugs / medications.

I have a high caffeine tolerance. Always have (even though I never really had much in the past -- it's been more of a thing since starting back to school prior to diagnosis). I have to have a lot to feel anything from it, but it's rare for me to feel jittery. My response to it has been rather inconsistent. Sometimes it gives me a small boost of energy, sometimes it helped me focus, sometimes it did absolutely nothing, and other times I could just go right to sleep.

I've never really had to restrict caffeine after a certain as it's never impacted my ability to go to sleep at night.

sarahsweets
07-25-16, 01:52 PM
It seems like we have a lot of paradoxial (sp) reactions to things that other nt people do not experience. For instance benedryl which is in a lot of OTC sleep aids makes my hyper and bounce off the walls. So I dont benefit from OTC sleep aids

C15H25N3O
07-25-16, 10:18 PM
I feel a huge difference between filtered Coffee and Espresso-Coffee.

While filtered Coffee is similar like instant coffee it makes me sweat and jittery.

Real coffee means for me espresso and cappucchino which make me relaxed
while espresso can make me tired sometimes. It depends a lot on the strength.
For me there is also a huge different in taste and effect of different kinds of
coffee beans and brands. I prefer italian roastings. It is a very soft stimulant.
I can sleep very good after drinking coffee.

I also love cacao beans which contain not only caffeine but also theobromin
another natural stimulant that works better for me than caffeine.

stef
07-26-16, 02:05 AM
It does not make me feel sleepy but I am able to sleep or take a nap if I need to after drinking coffee or espresso.

Exactly the same for me, and i really need like 4 expressos per day
(Or in the states, 2 tall starbucks and one diet 7up :) )

rodavon99
07-26-16, 04:41 PM
The whole "stimulants have the opposite effect" thing is a bit overstated. People with untreated ADHD are more likely to overuse caffeine, and therefore have a higher tolerance to the jitters. Also, a lot of people with ADHD feel more comfortable in stimulating or stressful environments, so the caffeine might be calming you down mentally while still acting as a stimulant. Any number of things could explain the association of ADHD with paradoxical drug effects, but there doesn't seem to be a significant correlation.

tomatotux
07-29-16, 10:58 AM
Hi, and thanks for asking this question! Caffiene is something that is not really discussed in our community so I'll share what I know. There are several different types of ADD/ADHD and each one responds to different treatment methodologies. In my case (Inattentive/Hyperactive), caffiene helps to balance dopamine levels in my brain and helps me to slow down and focus. That effect however decreases with stress, lack of sleep, hydration, etc.

Basically, caffiene is not a hard and fast solution but in some cases it helps. However, in the case of something like "Ring of Fire" where the imbalance is all over the brain, stimulants will actually make the issues worse. There are several tests to figure out what type you have and once you do, you can begin putting treatment plans into place. I use alot of notes, and try to keep things in the same place as well as a variety of other methods to make myself stay organized and on task, but even then I need a little kick to help. Thus I was prescribed adderall (much to my chagrin...). The key is to figure out what's going on in your head and then figure out how to mitigate it. I dropped a couple of links below, hopefully it helps.

Types of ADD/ADHD: https://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/types-of-adhd
Free test, but talk to your doctor as well: http://www.oneaddplace.com/add-test-sub.php

-Tomato

The_Obama
07-29-16, 12:15 PM
Honestly caffeine does make me a bit sleepy, nice to drink after diner. But other stimulants make me sleepy as well Such as Adderall, Modafilin, and Ritalin didn't do much either way.

FYI the dosages for Adderall was 50XR followed by 2 50IR in the afternoon, Modafilin was 300mg, Ritalin IR 40mg 5x a day

The higher doses because I have a very high metabolism

Snoopy10
08-04-16, 08:32 AM
I drink a ton of caffeine.lots of times I will have two giant cups of coffee in the morning and then feel sleepy almost immediately. I think it's just because my tolerance is so high.

maysarieltiff
08-04-16, 10:41 PM
It makes me sleepy. But then again, I am always tired.

Never has it made me feel awake or jittery. This was before I was on any meds at all, and it hasn't changed. If anything, it has gotten worse.

I think it has to do with where and how it gets processed and people's individual tolerances to those things, but I am not positive.

ginniebean
08-05-16, 03:52 PM
Caffiene does not make me sleepy and it definitely makes me worse. I have zero tolerance for caffiene. Everyone is different.

meridianop
08-05-16, 04:04 PM
I feel so good when I take caffeine pills. I'm more happy, and focused in a way.