View Full Version : Newly diagnosed and struggling with dexamphetamine

joelleloser
07-25-16, 05:40 AM
Im new on here and somewhat struggling to navigate my way around so bear with me.

A little background. 22yo female. Diagnosed with adhd and prescribed 5mg dexamphetamine 2x daily. Today is day 5.

Day one and two were good. I felt a general sense of mental clarity, my motivation increased, confidence went through the roof. Then day three four and five have been work days. I am no stranger to the use of amphetamines as I was a heavy user of ice sometime ago. The past few days I am feeling really disconnected, have constant mild headaches, I'm more paranoid than I was before and I can physically see my heart beating in my chest. I take at breakfast and lunch and by the afternoon I am a shell. I have a highly addictive personality and find myself somewhat craving another but refrain from taking. Is this a normal response to Dex? Will my body and mind adjust. Right now I am socially withdrawing because what I'm feeling is very similar to the come down of ice. I have a phonecall with my psychiatrist planned tomorrow morning and he will likely increase my dose. Will this further my spaced out, disconnected from reality state because I am not having the best time. I am also not in the most physically healthy state, what are the effects of Dex on the kidneys?

sarahsweets
07-25-16, 08:08 AM
Sometimes past users of amphetamines have trouble with rx amphetamines and do better with methylphenidate.

joelleloser
07-25-16, 08:51 AM
Ok ill look into it. I haven't touched a single illegal substance for over three years now but the effects are so recognizably similar I think i subconsciously associate the effects of Dex with being high. If that makes any sense.

Pilgrim
07-25-16, 09:16 AM
This is a bit of a guess. Your dose is possibly a bit to high. Also take a mutvitamin, I strongly suggest.
Drink plenty of water and get some exercise. Even a walk down the shop.

These are some suggestions; I do know that when I feel like that it is for the above reason.

I find that adjustment period is helped if I'm a bit fit. Goodluck

sarahsweets
07-26-16, 02:24 AM
What is your dosing schedule?

joelleloser
07-26-16, 03:56 AM
I take 5mg in the morning with breakfast between 6 and 8am depending on work and then 5mg with lunch between 12 and 1pm

sarahsweets
07-26-16, 04:36 AM
I take 5mg in the morning with breakfast between 6 and 8am depending on work and then 5mg with lunch between 12 and 1pm

A lot of things come to mind. I asked what your schedule was because sometimes people take them too close together. At the same time, some people wait too long and begin to feel a crash before they take their next dose. I had been on dexedrine for about 7 years before adderall. I know for me when I was taking the ir form, it never lasted more than three hours. So for me to get all day coverage, I needed to take frequent smaller doses. This works for some people I guess but not for me. What helped was going on dexedrine spansules which is the extended release form of dexedrine. I forget what the manufacturer says about how long they should last but for me I got about 5-6 hours from each dose. I was taking 15mg spansules 3x a day. This would be too much for you at this point but its worth talking to your doctor about the spansules. I also had to be mindful to take each dose before I experienced any sort of crashing, so that everything was even and steady. You'd ne surprised but too high or too low of a dose are equally difficult.

I only mentioned ritialin because some people cant separate the good benefits of prescription dex from the euphoric benefits of street amphetamines.
I am an alcoholic in recovery and from one user to another...if you feel like you are entering the danger zone with them, try to switch or talk to your doctor so it doesnt trigger your desire to use street drugs.

Dont feel bad about drug use either. A lot of adhd people have or had substance abuse issues as a result of self medicating.

C15H25N3O
07-26-16, 04:05 PM
Nature gave you a disorder at birth and nature showed you amphetamines for self-medication. The only problem of human being is to control the intake of something we lost control once iif we self-medicated and not to have any craving for the stuff. It is a hard job to learn medical use of amphetamines after periods of heavy use. There is also Vyvanse as a weak amphetamine which is called to be abuse-proof. It does not kick in and is subtle. I think it could be a good basic medication.

joelleloser
07-27-16, 02:59 AM
so i spoke briefly on the phone with my psych today and he suggested i double my dose by taking 2x5mg in the morning and again at lunch. the mere thought of taking two at once freaked me out a little so i asked if its okay if i stagger them/ he said that its fine to take a max of four throughout the day. It was already 10am by the time i spoke to him so today i had 5mg at 7am, 11am and 2pm. this seemed to keep me fairly clear headed throughout my work day but feels a little physically straining. I think ill stick to the 15mg staggered for the moment. My body feels pretty tired while on these, will it eventually adjust?

FocusPocus10
07-28-16, 05:56 PM
Im new on here and somewhat struggling to navigate my way around so bear with me.

A little background. 22yo female. Diagnosed with adhd and prescribed 5mg dexamphetamine 2x daily. Today is day 5.

Day one and two were good. I felt a general sense of mental clarity, my motivation increased, confidence went through the roof. Then day three four and five have been work days. I am no stranger to the use of amphetamines as I was a heavy user of ice sometime ago. The past few days I am feeling really disconnected, have constant mild headaches, I'm more paranoid than I was before and I can physically see my heart beating in my chest. I take at breakfast and lunch and by the afternoon I am a shell. I have a highly addictive personality and find myself somewhat craving another but refrain from taking. Is this a normal response to Dex? Will my body and mind adjust. Right now I am socially withdrawing because what I'm feeling is very similar to the come down of ice. I have a phonecall with my psychiatrist planned tomorrow morning and he will likely increase my dose. Will this further my spaced out, disconnected from reality state because I am not having the best time. I am also not in the most physically healthy state, what are the effects of Dex on the kidneys?

60mg is the FDAs recommended maximum for kids and teens - you are 22 and taking a fraction of that. Start low and go slow is the motto of these drugs so titrate up slowly (don't run and swallow 60mg or you'll have a bad time) but also dont give up on a great medication after trying a teeny tiny dose. Many adults need much more than 5mg a day, especially those of us who have been medicated long term. Call your doctor immediately no need to live another day with add - we all know what it's like, never feel like you are a 'drug user' for trying to succeed in this world. There is no amount of dexedrine that will do what street speed does (they deal in grams we deal in milligrams ;) ). Hang around this forum, take your meds, do your own research, and you'll be an ADD medication expert in no time.

joelleloser
07-28-16, 09:39 PM
Thanks for your reply.
Charted with my psych and for the last two days I have staggered a total of 20mg 5mg at a time seems to be working well! Just a little bit spacey spacey at night time.

Grumpyoldlady
07-30-16, 08:51 PM
I'm newly diagnosed as well and I have been on 15mg of Dex staggered daily I am also on Lovan for anxiety and have been doing really well since starting Dex. I am less anxious so far than I have been for a long time. I don't have a history of substance abuse but my cousin does and he is on a non-stimulant (Strattera) together with an anti-depressant which works very well for him. I know very little about it but I believe this is what they do in Aussie (where I come from) for people with substance abuse history?

joelleloser
07-30-16, 11:29 PM
Im also in Australia! But that's not the way my psych decided to treat me suprisingly as he knows my history quite well. How long have you been taking Dex now?

Grumpyoldlady
07-31-16, 12:34 AM
I'm newly diagnosed as well and I have been on 15mg of Dex staggered daily I am also on Lovan for anxiety and have been doing really well since starting Dex. I am less anxious so far than I have been for a long time. I don't have a history of substance abuse but my cousin does and he is on a non-stimulant (Strattera) together with an anti-depressant which works very well for him. I know very little about it but I believe this is what they do in Aussie (where I come from) for people with substance abuse history?
SORRY BAD ADHD MOMENT! I said Lovan I meant Zoloft!

Grumpyoldlady
07-31-16, 01:24 AM
Thanks joelleloser, That's interesting as I said I don't know much about it - just what my cousin told me. His Psych was worried about putting him on the stimulants because of his history of alcohol and OTC drug misuse. I have only been on the Dex for a few days so I hope it keeps working for me. So far the main benefit I have noticed is that I CAN FIND THINGS!!! I REMEMBER WHERE I PUT THEM!!! I am off work at the moment so starting work again will be the big test...

joelleloser
07-31-16, 11:08 PM
I guess my psych wasn't too concerbed as I've been sober over three years now.

I started my course of Dex on a couple days off work and felt fantastic. My head was quietunless I willed it to think, I was optimistic and getting things organised, I was able to get to sleep at a reasonable hour and was still managing to eat enough to get me through. I rather like how Dex cut out my snacking habits. However after those two days I went back to work and all is pretty fine while I'm there but as soon as i get home I crash. Mind scattered, body a race. I am really hoping that this is just my brain and body processing the meds and building their tolerance. I'm giving Dex a month and if the afternoon come down doesn't cease I will cease the meds. Dreading the afternoons is no way to live.

sarahsweets
08-01-16, 05:00 AM
I guess my psych wasn't too concerbed as I've been sober over three years now.

I started my course of Dex on a couple days off work and felt fantastic. My head was quietunless I willed it to think, I was optimistic and getting things organised, I was able to get to sleep at a reasonable hour and was still managing to eat enough to get me through. I rather like how Dex cut out my snacking habits. However after those two days I went back to work and all is pretty fine while I'm there but as soon as i get home I crash. Mind scattered, body a race. I am really hoping that this is just my brain and body processing the meds and building their tolerance. I'm giving Dex a month and if the afternoon come down doesn't cease I will cease the meds. Dreading the afternoons is no way to live.

The main thing with stimulants is to avoid waiting so long between doses that you experience a crash. Ir dex is meant to last about 4 hours and the spansules last about 6-8.
For me the ir was maybe 3 hours, the spansules about 5 or 6 so when I was taking it I made sure to have strict schedule that overlapped to avoid the crash from happening. Dont get hung up on tolerance, its more of a rarity then you think.

Grumpyoldlady
08-02-16, 04:06 AM
I don't get comedowns but my pshyc told me it was ok not to take on weekends and that he had lots of patients who didn't, including kids who don't take it in the school holidays. I found I am focusing much better on the course I am studying, but I didn't have much luck of my first day back at work (today) :(
The morning was great but it didn't seem to work as well in the afternoon for some reason. Maybe because I take the other meds in the morning including the pariet stomach drug to counteract the side effects of mobic the anti -inflammatory. Sarah would probably know she seems to be a fountain of knowledge!

I've also been diagnosed (yesterday) with severe vitamin D deficiency and told to immediately start taking a strong supplement... Don't know what the effect of that on the Dex would be. Also getting of shingles so hard to tell how I am really feeling.

Little Nut
08-02-16, 11:43 PM
Hey Joelle, There are 2 things you need to find out while titrating up. What is the minimum dose needed to treat all of your symptoms. For me 5 mg would do this 80-90% of the time. Sometimes it just wouldn't be as effective or it would poop out early, but it just wasn't acceptable to me. When I bumped the dose to 7.5 mg it handled my symptoms for >95% of the time. I also knew 10 mg was too much. When I switched to Dexedrine I was doing 10 mg doses of IR. Hyperfocus was a problem and the euphoria was always there for ~ hour after every dose. Also trouble sleeping most nights. So is 5mg the best DOSE FOR YOU?

The second thing you need to determine is how long each dose works for you. I think it can run from 3-6 hours for people. For me, it was fairly obvious after a few weeks. Working memory issues and some others started popping up ~3-3 1/2 hours after a dose. So how long does a single EFFECTIVE dose last FOR YOU?

So knowing these 2 things and how long you need adequate treatment of your symptoms gives you a really close estimate of the best dosage FOR YOU and the best frequency FOR YOU. In my case MY DOSE is 7.5mg IR. With a dose lasting 3 hours FOR ME and requiring 12 hours means I need 4 doses 3 hours apart.

From here you may need to tweak it a little. I had issues w/ trouble getting to sleep on-time, so I ended up cutting the last dose back to 5mg and moving it up an hour. Regards, -LN

sarahsweets
08-03-16, 08:57 AM
I don't get comedowns but my pshyc told me it was ok not to take on weekends and that he had lots of patients who didn't, including kids who don't take it in the school holidays. I found I am focusing much better on the course I am studying, but I didn't have much luck of my first day back at work (today) :(
It always upsets me when doctors tell patients this. Yes, some kids do not take meds over breaks but that doesnt mean its good for them. I look at it like this: ADHD is 24/7 for me, why would I only want to treat it some of the time? I always struggled with everything, not just school or work. Its an approved treatment for a reason. I get really fired up when doctors say this because it implies that these meds are meant as 'performance' enhancers- when they arent. They are tools. We arent looking to just get good grades or churn out good work- we are looking to lead a life of quality that extends beyond teachers, books, homework, bosses and productivity.

The morning was great but it didn't seem to work as well in the afternoon for some reason. Maybe because I take the other meds in the morning including the pariet stomach drug to counteract the side effects of mobic the anti -inflammatory. Sarah would probably know she seems to be a fountain of knowledge!

What class of medication is this? Is it in the anti-spasmodic class or protein pump inhibiter (PPI) class?

Grumpyoldlady
08-04-16, 12:00 AM
Thanks Sarah,

I was thinking I would take it on weekends anyway because I have already noticed some benefits in social situations- much easier to time questions/comments during conversation easier to avoid interrupting people.

The Pariet is a Proton Pump Inhibitor.

One of my main problems at the moment is i keep getting scared of side effects - I have anxiety symptoms which i am scared are side effects, although overall i am less anxious than usual. But I still have the anxiety symptoms in the middle of the night (rapid heartbeat etc) and the med would have worn off by then.

Also i am very tired in the evenings - not sure if this is what you would call a "crash" or just because i am not physically very well at the moment (shingles etc)

sarahsweets
08-04-16, 06:19 AM
Thanks Sarah,

I was thinking I would take it on weekends anyway because I have already noticed some benefits in social situations- much easier to time questions/comments during conversation – easier to avoid interrupting people.

The Pariet is a Proton Pump Inhibitor.
I take aciphex which is also a PPI. To avoid any interactions I take it at night.

One of my main problems at the moment is i keep getting scared of side effects - I have anxiety symptoms which i am scared are side effects, although overall i am less anxious than usual. But I still have the anxiety symptoms in the middle of the night (rapid heartbeat etc) and the med would have worn off by then.
This might be just your anxiety acting up.

Also i am very tired in the evenings - not sure if this is what you would call a "crash" or just because i am not physically very well at the moment (shingles etc)
I think it could be both. I rarely feel a crash but I am pretty high strung.Shingles does a number on your immune system though.

maysarieltiff
08-04-16, 04:19 PM
Sarah,

"I take aciphex which is also a PPI. To avoid any interactions I take it at night."

Do you think that it helps with the dex absorption? I have read that it might, especially if I have an unusually acidic stomach?

Thanks!

joelleloser
08-05-16, 12:07 AM
Update!

Well it's been a roller coaster of a week. I have concluded that Dex is not the treatment best suited for me. Reasons:
While taking it i feel completely and utterly focused on whatever task is at hand which is great however am oblivious to the existence of anything but that rask. I work in hospitality and am struggling to interact with customers and make their coffee.
Seems no matter how I dose or stagger the afternoon come down is inevitable abd the depression that comes with it is terrifying for me.
I look like the corpse bride.
I feel like the corpse bride!
My hands and feet are so numb that I discovered a severe burn on my hand that I had no memory of getting.
Im paranoid, I'm constantly frowning and socially withdrawing. So whether I try another med or I opt for natural therapies I am calling it quits with Dex.
Now.... Advice....
I've been on for about 17 days averaging 20 MG a day. What are the chances of withdrawal symptoms?
Keeping in mind I gave one of the most desperate addictive personalities.
Should I wean off?
Kinda nervous.

Little Nut
08-05-16, 10:21 AM
Hey Joelle, IMVHO I wouldn't change doses or discontinue without consulting w/ my Doc, but you need to talk to your prescribing Doc in the next 24 hours. (OBVIOUSLY for life threatening side effects you act first and notify the Doc second.) Just a couple of observations (assuming no past experience w/ Dex or other amphetamines);

To start on Dex one day and be up to 20mg/d by day 17 seems a little fast for me. (I try to stay at a dosing schedule for 2 weeks before changing it either up or down).

To start on DEX IR 5mg BID on day one and by day 17 have AVERAGED 20mg/d would cause me almost all the symptoms/issues you have (minus the anxiety). This to me seems like too much too fast for you to adjust to and be able to assess dex effectiveness for you. For me it took ~8 weeks to go from 5 mg/d Adderall IR to 30mg/d Adderall XR and I was still getting hammered 2 weeks later as each dose kicked in.

It will probably come out in your discussion w/ your Doc, but make sure he/she is aware of your current anxieties and how Dex has effected them.

In any event, discuss with your Doc. Lemme know how it turns out. -LN

wizfor
08-06-16, 05:48 AM

Straterra is defiantly a stimulant

wizfor
08-06-16, 05:54 AM

I've also been diagnosed (yesterday) with severe vitamin D deficiency and told to immediately start taking a strong supplement... Don't know what the effect of that on the Dex would be. Also getting of shingles so hard to tell how I am really feeling.

I tried not taking dex spansules on weekends. i end up playing a video game for a little while and sleeping because of extreme boredom and no interest in doing anything. i cant start any projects or do anything. wifes ****** off at me, etc. This is how my day to day life is pre-medication. so i basically just revert back to my old self

Grumpyoldlady
08-06-16, 05:55 AM
Hi Sarah,

It's a shame the Dx is not working for Joelloser I feel sorry for her. i find the Dex seems improve my focus a lot and the feelings I described in my last post are going away fast. I am a lot calmer, i can organise my thoughts better, I make less careless mistakes at work and when I am driving, I have good focus, an I can handle irritation a lot better. The list goes on. My Pshyc told me the main side effects were loss of appetite and trouble sleeping... Well I'm starving hungry and I sleep better than I have for ages... In fact every time I sit down in an arm chair I feel myself nodding off. I'm actually drowsy on it... Does this wear off after a few weeks? It's a bit MUCH calmness even. I've been prescribed one 5mg tablet 3 times a day at 8am, 11am, and 2pm... But I did try breaking the tablets in half and taking the morning one in two lots (6am and 8am) then I split the afternoon dose as well. That seemed to be better, also it meant I could string it out a bit and make it last for longer than just the work hours. Wondering if its too much or not enough maybe? I could ring my psyc again next week I suppose but I'm afraid he won't like me breaking them in half etc.

Little Missy
08-06-16, 05:56 AM
Straterra is defiantly a stimulant

No, it is not.

mistervbout
08-08-16, 12:02 AM
Coming with an addict background, yes there may be some association between the dex and your previous meth use. It took me a while to adjust to the right dose but once I found it, has been a God-send. Now, it took going through a few different medications to arrive at my current medication and dosage, so if the dex isn't working for you or someone else and/or causing unwanted side effects... may want to bring that to the attention of your doctor. A plethora of newer ADHD medications have hit the market in the past decade, so there are options. Remember (or try to grumpyoldlady), what works for one person may not work for another.

mistervbout
08-08-16, 12:08 AM
Straterra may have stimulating effects (I don't know, never take)n but little missy is correct. Atomxamine is a non-stimulant.... and Eli Lilly agrees :-)

mistervbout
08-08-16, 12:11 AM
But if it is defiantly a stimulant, I suppose we would have to see just how defiant it was.

Spellcheck gets us all in the end

DmxDex
08-12-16, 10:30 AM
Less is better. 5mg once a day for a few weeks, the add another 5mgs, and take that either 2 or 3 hours later. Slowly build up your tolerance. I found out the hard way for a couple of years, thinking being overstimulated was normal

wizfor
08-25-16, 03:24 AM
60mg is the FDAs recommended maximum for kids and teens - you are 22 and taking a fraction of that. Start low and go slow is the motto of these drugs so titrate up slowly (don't run and swallow 60mg or you'll have a bad time) but also dont give up on a great medication after trying a teeny tiny dose. Many adults need much more than 5mg a day, especially those of us who have been medicated long term. Call your doctor immediately no need to live another day with add - we all know what it's like, never feel like you are a 'drug user' for trying to succeed in this world. There is no amount of dexedrine that will do what street speed does (they deal in grams we deal in milligrams ;) ). Hang around this forum, take your meds, do your own research, and you'll be an ADD medication expert in no time.

60mg for narcolepsy not add

PizzaLover
09-14-16, 05:05 AM
I'm new too and was prescribed 5-10mg dex 2-3 times per day and I am just not functioning. I was more efficent at work before taking it and I am now far less social. I feel so quiet and relusive and anti social. I have combination type adhd and whilst obviously being quiet helps me listen more I have found it's triggered my innatentiveness and I zone out in conversations or just can't even start one. I am less affectionate and feeling somewhat desponent through the day.

I'm 29, female and on 300mg effexor which I was hoping to come off (for depression/anxiety)

sarahsweets
09-17-16, 04:41 PM
I'm new too and was prescribed 5-10mg dex 2-3 times per day and I am just not functioning. I was more efficent at work before taking it and I am now far less social. I feel so quiet and relusive and anti social. I have combination type adhd and whilst obviously being quiet helps me listen more I have found it's triggered my innatentiveness and I zone out in conversations or just can't even start one. I am less affectionate and feeling somewhat desponent through the day.

I'm 29, female and on 300mg effexor which I was hoping to come off (for depression/anxiety)

To me, this is a clear sign that your dose is too high. That feeling of "flatness" often is associated with too much medication and lowering it can really help.

Kdawg1
09-20-16, 05:53 PM
As we know everyone will react differently on dextroamphetamine. I am about 6 months in, at first I was on 20mg a day I had bad anxiety and panic. I stoped for a bit and found out 10mg a day split into 5 at a time was working. Then I needed to add 5 more at 3 months and now I am at 20mg a day sometimes 25. I Do 10mg at 7 10mg at 11 and sometimes 5mg at 2 or 3. It took about 6 months for my body to understand what dextroamphetamine was trying to help my brain with. I think my intuition was just in a shock. Anyways my confidence, my senses of humor my productivity. I stand tall. Making hundreds more a week at work! Asked to play a part in a movie. Model an event on a runway with over 400 pepole. It is an amazing medication. No more anxiety! Im going off now sorry, but my point is it may take a while to get the right dose

oh_shiny
10-29-16, 10:57 PM
I Do 10mg at 7 10mg at 11 and sometimes 5mg at 2 or 3.

I've worked myself up to this combination too, and it works really well...it took a lot of trial and error for me also, which was frustrating (but worth it).