View Full Version : Ritalin again after 10+ years. New dose?

Mario84
07-26-16, 09:19 AM
I took Ritalin as a teen for a few years. 2 x 10 mg per day. I can't ever remember it not working. I think it always kicked me up into gear.
Now I just recently got back onto it for work purpouses, 2 x 10mg per day, and it was great for the first 3 days, after that I barely feel anything. Those first 3 days weren't even consecutive, because I wanted to make sure I wasn't building a tolerance. Since then I've tried again a few times, trying to space as many days inbetween as possible. Still, I barely feel an effect, and it usually takes 2+ hours before I can even detect anything at all.
My question, obviously, is if I should increase my dosage, but most of all I'm worried if this always be a problem, that I will always be chasing the dragon so-to-speak. In that case I'd rather not even begin increasing dosages.
I realize Ritalin needs fuel to work, so I always make sure I have a good breakfast before dose #1, and sometimes a good lunch before dose #2 and sometimes not.
If I can only rephrase my question: is there such a thing as a perfect dose which I will always feel working for my age and size? Or will I always be adjusting upwards? I'm 31 and 80 kilo's by the way of typical medium stature and health.
In other words, is there anybody who is an adult and who has found a dose which they can actually feel working for any prolonged period of time?
Thank you.

namazu
07-26-16, 02:23 PM
Let me take this in reverse order...

If I can only rephrase my question: is there such a thing as a perfect dose which I will always feel working for my age and size? Or will I always be adjusting upwards? I'm 31 and 80 kilo's by the way of typical medium stature and health.
In other words, is there anybody who is an adult and who has found a dose which they can actually feel working for any prolonged period of time?
This seems to be a very individual thing. There are some members who have been on stable doses of stimulants for many years with good effects. There are others (myself included) who've had more difficulty finding medication that continues to work well over long periods of time.

Although stimulants aren't dosed based on weight (that is, you can't simply say "Mario weighs 80kg, so he needs Xmg dose"), some people do find that as they age / grow / go through hormonal transitions / etc., they need to change their dose up or down. It's possible that your body's changed since high school in ways that may mean a different dose would be more effective for you. If that's the case, it's possible that a one-time change in dose might do the trick for you, and you'll be set for a long time.

I realize Ritalin needs fuel to work, so I always make sure I have a good breakfast before dose #1, and sometimes a good lunch before dose #2 and sometimes not.
It sounds like you're making sure you're adequately fed (hopefully with healthy-ish foods), which is great. Hydration and sleep are also important -- are those good? I'll assume that there's nothing else medically important to note (like blood sugar, thyroid, etc.), or that you're already on top of such things. (If not, take care of them!)

My question, obviously, is if I should increase my dosage, but most of all I'm worried if this always be a problem, that I will always be chasing the dragon so-to-speak. In that case I'd rather not even begin increasing dosages.
"Chasing the dragon" might apply if you were looking for a high, but if you're just trying to treat your ADHD symptoms and don't have a history of misusing medications, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You shouldn't necessarily expect to "feel" the medication working, in a physical sense. A better metric is whether your ADHD symptoms are controlled. Many people don't "feel" the medication working, but it still reduces their ADHD symptoms, and so it's working. If it's not controlling your symptoms well (regardless of whether you can "feel" it in your system), then you may want to adjust the dose.

It may be that a single bump in dose could provide the symptom relief you're looking for over the long term. If so, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner! If not, then you can decide to stop pursuing further dose increases.

You might also consider a long-acting version of methylphenidate so that you don't have to remember a second dose later on -- though the time-release element adds a variable to trying to figure out how well the medication works.

As always, consult with your doctor. Best wishes!

Mario84
07-27-16, 02:49 AM
Yeah I have no medical conditions of note, especially no physical ones, I do have social anxiety, but to a pretty tolerable degree compared to many other who say they have social anxiety. I get valium prescribed for that, and even with those I barely ever take them, so I'm really not the type to abuse medications. Well, despite the "feel-goods" of valium, I find it to be quite depressing.

I'm all around pretty darn healthy. Even though my lunches are pretty bachelour-styled, like shnitzel and fries... my wife makes good varied dinners and I always make sure my breakfast is stellar, I usually eat good natural granola cereal with nuts, dry fruits and alternative milk like rice milk or almond milk. So it's a solid health breakfast for champs. Sometimes I wonder if maybe it's so solid the ritalin has issues getting through it. But today I'm trying to take the Ritalin before the breakfast, just with my coffee here and I'm not really feeling it. I can kind of tell it has already kicked in, but it doesn't have that drive to it. That whoosh that comes over you and urges on enthusiasm towards being productive and generally a good person. Maybe I shouldn't be "chasing the dragon", but maybe you are misunderstanding my intention too. I want to be clear about this.

When I feel the Ritalin working, I want to be polite and spread positivity and I'm great towards my child and wife and neighbours and hold open doors and nod at people and engage in pleasant small-talk with people, try to smile at people, etc. Like I become the best version of myself. Sure there are some tag-along side-effects like weird anxiety about physically bumping into someone when I walk around a corner or when the elevator door opens, lol, I get jumpy like that, but it's laughable and it's all around worth it. When Ritalin is just working without me feeling it, I'm just slightly more engaged in work maybe. I take more time to jump at conclusions in my head and think things through a bit more. I'm more systematic. It's good, but is that all I should be settled with? Maybe you are right? Maybe I should change my attitude towards the med and what I should be expecting from it? I don't know, I guess this is what I'm trying to figure out by writing this post.

When I'm not on it at all, I am easily distracted, I'm 50% less productive at work and I'm not the best version of myself as a father, husband and member of society. I'm not bad, but I just generally feel like life is drudgery and demanding to be honest and like I most of the time don't have the patience or energy to keep up with it all. So I get very selective about what I need to focus on, usually tuning out everything except what is needed to survive in this world. Maybe I'm getting to personal here.

Anyway, that's why I'm looking to feel the Ritalin again, but if feeling the med is just going to be an allusive journey then I'd rather not go down that road and rather just change my attitude about the med and what to expect from it, which I can totally do. It would just be good to have some oversight about this before I proceed. It would suck to miss out greater benefits from the med too, simply from fear that I'm expecting something that it can't deliver despite the fact that it can deliver that if only I increase the dose.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for your patience in reading and answering. I really appreciate any input.

Mario84
08-14-16, 03:53 AM
Lol. I can't believe nobody has answered this after all this time, but I've been very busy and absent from any forum activity anyway for... I dunno, weeks now.
Just thought I'd come back and not leave anybody hanging, but apparantly nobody has answered anyway.

Well anyway, I just want to update and say that throughout the course of my continued experiences with Ritalin, I learned that I do rather enjoy the effects of 10mg doses of Ritalin 4 hours apart (usually 2 or 3 per day, depending...)
I've learned that it's best (for me) to take it about 10-15 minutes before the meal, that way the body absorbs the pill fully - and immediately thereafter receives the nutrition it needs to fuel it's effects. Sometimes I feel it less and sometimes more, but I've noticed how it improves my overall performance regardless and enjoy these results very much, all in all.
There was one time when the end of a first dose crossed over with a second dose and the combined effect was too much for me. I ended up stressing my jaw muscles and it was just too much. It didn't work well for work or anything. So yeah, I'm happy with 10mg doses 4 hours apart.