View Full Version : Do stimulants eliminate creativity?

C15H25N3O
07-26-16, 07:26 PM
Are here any guys working in creative jobs?

How do stimulants affect your ability to be creative and have surprising ideas?

I recognize a reduced creativity which expresses kind of childish or dumb because stimulants make me kind of dumb focussed and eliminate the wonderful daydreaming.

Fortune
07-26-16, 07:40 PM
Nope. I did my best work while taking stimulants. I wrote a 50k RPG book in a week which received favorable reviews while taking stimulants.

mildadhd
07-26-16, 08:51 PM

I recognize a reduced creativity which expresses kind of childish or dumb because stimulants make me kind of dumb focussed and eliminate the wonderful daydreaming.

I am more childish and I play more, without medication.

I am less childish and I play less, with medication.

What is creativity?

m

Pilgrim
Nope. I did my best work while taking stimulants. I wrote a 50k RPG book in a week which received favorable reviews while taking stimulants.

Me to, I am:umm1:more creative on Stimulints.

Simargl
I still day dream and I haven't noticed a lack of creativity.

Little Missy
07-26-16, 09:02 PM
I'm still creative and I stare and daydream plenty. I love it.

C15H25N3O
07-26-16, 09:42 PM
Ok. I know writing works on stimulants. I can also write like a beast in my language on stimulants but I mean
creative process of designing shapes of furniture or graphics and arts which absolutely needs daydreaming.

I recognize my ability to creative flow-state of shaping forms whether something to touch or on paper or working on the
screen became different. I miss my brilliance in ideas and different/innovative thinking which I surprised my clients with.

Are in this forums any professional illustrators, artist, graphic designers, furniture designers, high-fashion designers?
Simply people who create ideas for their clients in masses by positive daydreaming and having fun?

I am doubting so much because amphetamine has a 90% similar stimulating effect on me like weed. Both wake me up but I have
a better ability to focus and go with the flow if I smoke weed. If I take my amphetamine and smoke weed in combination
a feel clearer than only being on my meds. I dont know how to express but Amphetamine feels for me like the mirrored
weed and I dont get myself functioning with the meds.

I also have a suspicion of some high level autism and have made an appointment for a diagnose. I am not shy but I have problems
understanding mimic/gestures and I fight for acceptance and tolerance all my life. I am great in mental arithmetic up to many digits,
almost faster than engineers can start their calculators and of course drawing and musical emotion.

I read a lot about autism for some weeks and I read it can be treated with amphetamines but cannabis is preferred
due to being a weaker medication.

Actually I dont know anymore what to think and what to believe.

I feel dont feel like a free spirit anymore but amphetamines help me. Being 90% similar to cannabis the other 10% seem
to be eliminating creativity but I think amphetamines are especially in my case and for my personality a kind of anti-depressant
when I loose a job.

I also think a lot about a medication with oxytocin.

Are there any experiences here about what I write?

C15H25N3O
07-26-16, 09:55 PM
I'm still creative and I stare and daydream plenty. I love it.

Not to misunderstand each other:
For me means "staring" no thinking and "daydreaming" a kind of brainstorming.
Daydreaming means for me having ideas and making quick decisions on acting
but not being a dreamer.

Stimulants make me daydream faster or a kind of hyperactive like weird multi-tasking.

Fortune
07-27-16, 01:25 AM
Ok. I know writing works on stimulants. I can also write like a beast in my language on stimulants but I mean
creative process of designing shapes of furniture or graphics and arts which absolutely needs daydreaming.

This is moving goalposts. Writing is as much a creative process as visual design.

sarahsweets
07-27-16, 02:35 AM
I think Im pretty creative. Medication helps me harness it.

Fuzzy12
07-27-16, 02:57 AM
When medicated I was able to implement my creative ideas. Unmedicated my creativity dies with the idea.

Unmanagable
07-27-16, 07:51 AM
I no longer take meds and feel my creativity has been kicked up a notch or two.

However, other circumstances also play a huge role such as: I no longer have the stressors of a f/t job, the step-kids have now grown and left the nest, I'm no longer trying to juggle school on top of a f/t job, and we have since relocated to where I get to wake up to nature everyday.

During my heavily medicated times, I was struggling desperately to find ways (ANY ways) to recognize and address the roots of all my issues, but instead, mostly had them all get more complex when the side effects of the med trials kicked in on top of everything else.

Being prescribed adderall helped me focus long enough to seek other not so ordinary methods of help, and once I found the healers I now work with, I was finally able to stop the meds and gain my overall health back in ways I never thought were possible.

Creativity comes in many forms. It also tends to get squashed pretty swiftly by those who like to keep it defined and confined to a specific box, like most things, in my experiences.

C15H25N3O
07-27-16, 09:48 AM
This is moving goalposts. Writing is as much a creative process as visual design.

Of course writing is a very creative process but it is a different kind of creativity to visual or haptic design.
I dont have the purpose to compare creativity and I did not want to start a fundamental discussion about creativity and stimulants.

Everybody is a kind of creative or wants to be creative.

I wanna find other guys working in design being diagnosed with ADHD because my doctor does not know the roots of creativity and
it is hard to find designers with ADHD being on meds to swap experiences with meds.

Do I have to start another thread: Which substances and meds support or increase the ability of becoming a superstar in visual or
haptic design? Finally it will end in psychedelics but I want to know about meds which do not affect creative sensitivity and perception.
It is also about designing to perfection, focus and flow-state.

Don’t get me wrong, but I need help exactly on my problem.

aeon
07-27-16, 12:14 PM
In the graphic design work I have done, meds have been the difference between something that is creative and looks good versus something that is creative and looks good AND meets the need of the client.

Cheers,
Ian

C15H25N3O
07-27-16, 05:29 PM
Thank you all.

I think I have to take a closer research on designers/creatives forums.
Hopefully I will find there some deeper insight. First reads I have done.

In the graphic design work I have done

Not to misunderstand you. It sounds you write about the past and you
did different jobs. Please correct me if you are a graphic designer by
passion who does the job for years, maybe before diagnosis and you
do it better since taking stimulants.

Fortune
07-27-16, 05:41 PM
Of course writing is a very creative process but it is a different kind of creativity to visual or haptic design.
I dont have the purpose to compare creativity and I did not want to start a fundamental discussion about creativity and stimulants.

Everybody is a kind of creative or wants to be creative.

I wanna find other guys working in design being diagnosed with ADHD because my doctor does not know the roots of creativity and
it is hard to find designers with ADHD being on meds to swap experiences with meds.

Do I have to start another thread: Which substances and meds support or increase the ability of becoming a superstar in visual or
haptic design? Finally it will end in psychedelics but I want to know about meds which do not affect creative sensitivity and perception.
It is also about designing to perfection, focus and flow-state.

Don’t get me wrong, but I need help exactly on my problem.

This is quite a different question than the one you asked initially, though. I am also unconvinced that the creative process for visuals and writing is all that different, neurologically. You have to visualize what you want to draw but you also have to visualize what you want to write. Well, I have to visualize what I want to write, I can't speak for anyone else.

I hope you can find answers you're looking for.

aeon
07-27-16, 05:43 PM
Not to misunderstand you. It sounds you write about the past and you
did different jobs. Please correct me if you are a graphic designer by
passion who does the job for years, maybe before diagnosis and you
do it better since taking stimulants.

In my case, my avocation led to my vocation, so yes, that which I loved became that which I did.

30 years of it, and I can say for sure, being treated for my ADHD with the use of medication is the best
thing that has ever happened to my creativity and how I apply it to the graphic arts.

If only it could have happened sooner...ah well, the past is...the past. :)

Cheers,
Ian

C15H25N3O
07-28-16, 12:41 PM
... You have to visualize what you want to draw but you also have to visualize what you want to write.

I hope you can find answers you're looking for.

I mean the "real" creative process in design is not the visualization but the playing, dreaming, associating, whatever, ...
mental cross connecting, thinking different not in past structures and looking for innovative surprising ideas.
Innovative design is pure anarchy while ADHD-meds release straightness. Simply expressed I would not be
surprised if some psychiatrists would love to call it a creative mind disorder. :giggle:

The visualization is only a technical skill or crafting.

In my case, my avocation led to my vocation, so yes, that which I loved became that which I did.
30 years of it, and I can say for sure, being treated for my ADHD with the use of medication is the best
thing that has ever happened to my creativity and how I apply it to the graphic arts.

Also in my case. I reached in only nine months at home on my own what other do in 4 years at university.
Personally i finally crashed having problems organizing my taxes which is a huge handicap for me. I also cannot focus and let it flow with just amphetamines.

I just made an appointment for an autism co-existance diagnose at another psych-intoxicator to get back the
motivation from loving it while I really love it and chemical stimulants send me a bit over the top while violating
my creativity with hyperactivity. I know serotonin release could help but I will never take the personality-changing
SSRI toxics again.

Is there any healthy med releasing serotonin or love hormones as a side-effect? Maybe a little increase of
5% euphoria or cutting amphetamines overstraining communication monster side-effects? Reading more
about oxycitocin it looks like it is a femal hormone and I dont want to add testosterone not to get swelling breasts.

Ouch!

sarahsweets
07-28-16, 01:29 PM
I mean the "real" creative process in design is not the visualization but the playing, dreaming, associating, whatever, ...
mental cross connecting, thinking different not in past structures and looking for innovative surprising ideas.
Innovative design is pure anarchy while ADHD-meds release straightness. Simply expressed I would not be
surprised if some psychiatrists would love to call it a creative mind disorder.

The visualization is only a technical skill or crafting.
So you are the official decider of what creativity is and what is creative?

Also in my case. I reached in only nine months at home on my own what other do in 4 years at university.
Personally i finally crashed having problems organizing my taxes which is a huge handicap for me.
I also cannot focus and let it flow with amphetamines like with weedalin and combining both brings me total
clearness, straightness and being myself like nothing before. There is no daily need to use both and almost
not together because both have positive aftereffects.

So you are prescribed both? Are they taken together, apart or not at all?

SSRI toxics again.

Is there any healthy med releasing serotonin or love hormones as a side-effect? Maybe a little increase of there are many medications (antidepressants) that affect your seratonin that are not SSRI's, SNRI's, Tricyclics.

5% euphoria or cutting amphetamines overstraining communication monster side-effects? Reading more
about oxycitocin it looks like it is a femal hormone and I dont want to add testosterone not to get swelling breasts.

Ouch!

If you mean you have side effects that are monsterous, then I would say your dose is too high.

Fuzzy12
07-28-16, 02:07 PM
In what way do stimulants help you? If for whatever reason they hinder your creativity couldn't you just take a break from the meds when you want to visualise and make those creative connections and then take the meds when you need them, for example for the implementation of the design? Would that be a possible work around?

Fortune
07-28-16, 04:02 PM
Well, I'm done here. Everytime I post something the OP shifts the goalposts so it means something different from what I wrote. I guess I know nothing about creativity despite having worked in a creative field for 10 years. Who knew?

Anyway, you can't have it both ways: By your second definition of creativity, it necessarily has to include writing. Your first definition was intended to exclude writing. Make up your mind.

Also, the creative process is a little bit of inspiration and a lot of work to turn that inspiration into a finished project. It's not a specifically mapped out process where you have to do X before you do Y before you do Z, especially since further inspiration can strike while you're working.

And don't bother to shift the goalposts again. Please focus on your actual question and don't spend so much time trying to discredit people with different experiences than you.

stef
07-28-16, 04:22 PM
I dont see how visualsing and then the dreaming., connecting, etc. can even be mutually exclusive, aren't these all a part of creativity?

mrh235
08-04-16, 08:10 PM

Hell no, if anything I'm way more creative and have more of an imagine because i can actually think and focus clearly. I have the most creative solutions I've ever had with my adhd under control and treated by stimulants.

Little Nut
08-05-16, 10:50 AM
Jus' making sure...we are talking about creativity and not manic symptoms here?

Bluechoo
08-05-16, 12:34 PM
Everyone is wired differently, with different responses to stimulant medications and different avenues of creative processing. What inspires you to be creative might not move me an inch.

Also, it seems like you're looking for the right formula for creativity; it doesn't exist. Creativity is illusive. Surely you've read references to the muse? This embodiment of creativity that endows the chosen few with a creative drive beyond human? If there were a list of instructions for accessing your inner muse, we'd all be Mozart. No one catches it the same way.