View Full Version : Question on Testing

jcr150
07-27-16, 05:19 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. Was wondering if anyone has any insight for me. I recently have decided to pursue treatment and testing for what I believe is adult adhd. I was previously diagnosed when I was 18 but never took treatment seriously enough to continue it for beyond one year. I rarely took my meds and was pretty embaressed to have been diagnosed with this for some reason. Now as my career advances, it has become more and more difficult to cope with the symptoms that have hampered me my whole life so I decided to seek treatment. Problem i'm having now is while my new Psych thinks I have adhd he will not treat with meds nor refer for counseling sessions (referral is req by my insurance), until I take some neuropsych tests that will cost me almost $2200! My deductible is 4000 so I would have to pay out of pocket and cant really afford it. Is this reasonable and or typical? What should I do, this seems like a racket and not really necessary but if this is only option I will suck it up and fork out the $ because I really need the help. Any advice is appreciated sorry for the long post!

midnightstar
07-27-16, 05:30 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

aeon
07-27-16, 05:46 PM
You are being scammed.

There are no tests for ADHD. None.

Get a new therapist, seriously.

And welcome to the forum.

Cheers,
Ian

jcr150
07-27-16, 05:55 PM
I thought it sounded fishy thing is the neuropsych he is referring me to is not affiliated with his office so I don't see the benefit to his practice for insisting on this testing...just seems weird.

maysarieltiff
07-28-16, 12:57 AM
There is a test called the TOVA test for ADHD/ADD testing.

It makes you sit in front of a black computer screen for twenty minutes and there is a large square that pops up on top and a large square that pops up on bottom. One at a time. You have to click the mouse when a certain one comes up...and pay attention enough to not click when the other one does or jump the gun.

It also tests how you react to sound, it will have a high and a low pitch sound and you only click the mouse when the high pitched sound is made. It is a reactivity thing, I believe.

I don't know if this is what he is talking about, but that amount of money seems steep for staring at a computer screen for twenty minutes.

EDIT: But my God, does 20 minutes feel like a long time.

sarahsweets
07-28-16, 03:56 AM
There are no tests for adhd. Your doctor doesnt need to benefit directly to get something out of you getting these expensive tests. He could have something going with whoever does offer the testing where he agrees to refer his patients there and then he might get patients referred to him from there. We just had docs in NJ who went to jail for referring patients to outpatient labs for testing, it was a kickback scheme.

Even the computer one that was mentioned is unnecessary. It sounds official to take a test on a computer but its unnecessary and not accurate.

Fuzzy12
07-28-16, 05:33 AM
New psych. Definitely. You neither need these tests nor can they be used to diagnose adhd.

Even if he doesn't benefit from referring you for these tests if nothing else it shows how ignorant he is.

caretothepeople
07-28-16, 10:07 AM
At the very least, think about getting a second opinion from another psych. If there's a local CHADD chapter in your area, maybe try reaching out to them to see if they can point you in the right direction of another doc. In the long run it's really important to find a clinician you feel at ease and comfortable with.

Ktown85
07-30-16, 07:28 PM
I am in Washington State so it may be different here but I had to get a referral from my primary Dr to our local behavioral health, where I now see a psycho therapist. I am also lucky to have great insurance through my hubs job and only have to pay 20% for my visits. Idk if any of this info helps you at all, but I agree with the others, keep looking! I had to take a questionaire that didn't cost anything extra. Plus she could just tell by my mannerisms (I was super nervous and fidgety)
Good luck! I hope you can find a good one on your area!

jcr150
08-02-16, 05:03 PM
I ended up seeking a second opinion and have an appointment with a different psychiatrist tomorrow! This one seems much more like he gives a damn about his patients. Scheduled me for an 1.5 hour initial consultation and even talked to me for about a half an hour on the phone to address my concerns regarding what I am looking for and my experience with the other doctor free of charge! Even said to me straight out that no reasonable Psych would require neuropsych testing for a straightforward adhd case, unless there was specific reasons to suspect that the patient had something else (ie depression, learning disability, etc) going on instead. So glad I got another opinion and get to keep that nearly 2k. Hopefully the appointment goes well tomorrow I am a bit nervous.

sarahsweets
08-03-16, 09:05 AM
I ended up seeking a second opinion and have an appointment with a different psychiatrist tomorrow! This one seems much more like he gives a damn about his patients. Scheduled me for an 1.5 hour initial consultation and even talked to me for about a half an hour on the phone to address my concerns regarding what I am looking for and my experience with the other doctor free of charge! Even said to me straight out that no reasonable Psych would require neuropsych testing for a straightforward adhd case, unless there was specific reasons to suspect that the patient had something else (ie depression, learning disability, etc) going on instead. So glad I got another opinion and get to keep that nearly 2k. Hopefully the appointment goes well tomorrow I am a bit nervous.

THATS AMAZING! Seriously I am happy that another p-doc was willing to say that another doc was full of it. More docs should come forward when they see these types of scams.

jcr150
08-03-16, 06:28 PM
So the appointment today went well. Talked about trying some organizational strategies and wrote a script for adderal xr 15mg and adderal regular 10mg to take later in the day. He said he prefers to prescribe vyvanse to adults but my insurance doesn't cover that one. Going to try it tomorrow hope it works! I'm always kind of nervous starting new medication I hope the side effects aren't too bad.

mrh235
08-04-16, 08:08 PM
There are no tests for adhd. Your doctor doesnt need to benefit directly to get something out of you getting these expensive tests. He could have something going with whoever does offer the testing where he agrees to refer his patients there and then he might get patients referred to him from there. We just had docs in NJ who went to jail for referring patients to outpatient labs for testing, it was a kickback scheme.

Even the computer one that was mentioned is unnecessary. It sounds official to take a test on a computer but its unnecessary and not accurate.

Exactly, also most of the **** in neuropsychs doesn't even remotely relate to adhd, so OP would be obnoxiously paying for a lot of irrelevant tests.

maysarieltiff
08-04-16, 08:51 PM
"Even said to me straight out that no reasonable Psych would require neuropsych testing for a straightforward adhd case, unless there was specific reasons to suspect that the patient had something else (ie depression, learning disability, etc) going on instead."

Maybe that's why they gave me that test with the computer? I had already taken other "tests" and numerous consultations, and been diagnosed with GAD, depression and possible bipolar. Why give me that test? Were they worried I was faking it or what?