View Full Version : Dexamphetamine

Grumpyoldlady
07-27-16, 09:50 PM
Just diagnosed with adhd at 29 and i have been prescribed Dexamphetamine. Have taken the first one and already feel more alert and less "Fuzzy" - Do side effects show up on the first dose? I haven't had any yet. I'm also on Zoloft for anxiety. Not sure what do expect...

sarahsweets
07-28-16, 04:54 AM
Side effects are always possible but if your doctor goes low and slow with the dosing, they are minimal, or at least not debilitating.

FocusPocus10
07-28-16, 05:52 PM
Listen to Sarah, she knows whats up. Start low, go slow. I would recommend strongly that you take magnesium chelated (not oxide found in cheap knock offs or multi vitamins not absorbed effectively enough). Two reasons - 1. dex depletes it. 2. it will prevent tolerance build up so you stay add free and don't need bump the dose every month. Best of luck OP!

Grumpyoldlady
07-29-16, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have also heard antacids such as mylanta etc help the Dex from breaking down too quickly, thus letting it last longer. I am already on a once-per-day anti-reflux medication, Pariet, which is probably great for the Dex! I'm on Zoloft as well, which apparently reacts in a positive way with ADHD meds. I'm a bit of a research fanatic sorry!

sarahsweets
07-30-16, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the advice. I have also heard antacids such as mylanta etc help the Dex from breaking down too quickly, thus letting it last longer. I am already on a once-per-day anti-reflux medication, Pariet, which is probably great for the Dex! I'm on Zoloft as well, which apparently reacts in a positive way with ADHD meds. I'm a bit of a research fanatic sorry!

I think what things like tums do, is make your stomach more alkaline which I think sort of, extends or spreads out what is absorbed? I know things like vitamin c can cause the amphetamine to exit the system more quickly. I take a medication for my stomach too, but I take it at night just to be sure.

maysarieltiff
07-30-16, 03:39 AM
Found a lot of chemistry of stomach acid and intestines on a different forum because i was curious, not sure if it is correct but there is a lot of information there. Their main purpose is increasing recreational effects, but the information can be applied to those who actually need the medication. From what I have understood from my education, even taking a protein pump inhibitor to help increase the absorption of them will not help much because anatomy taught me the majority of actual absorption is in the small intestine. I am curious about the magnesium. Hell, I am curious about it all because I love to learn about chemistry and they way things work.

Grumpyoldlady
07-30-16, 08:40 PM
Thanks Everyone for your useful advice! Just been wondering, FocusPocus10, how much Magnesium Cheleated do you take and how often?

sarahsweets
07-31-16, 01:46 AM
Thanks Everyone for your useful advice! Just been wondering, FocusPocus10, how much Magnesium Cheleated do you take and how often?

I take chelated magnesium at night at whatever the standard dose on the bottle says. It helps me with sleep.

Grumpyoldlady
07-31-16, 04:26 AM
Oh, OK, I thought it was to make the Dex work better?

sarahsweets
07-31-16, 06:45 AM

Some people say it does or take it to prevent tolerance but I have been on amphetamines for over 10 years and never had that sort of benefit.

Little Missy
07-31-16, 06:53 AM

You just started taking Dex and you already need it to work better?

Grumpyoldlady
07-31-16, 08:06 AM
:D not exactly but I'm now not sure what the point of the magnesium is!

Grumpyoldlady
07-31-16, 08:21 AM
Thanks That's what I really wanted to know.

I think I worded my last post a bit wrong (Because somebody misunderstood it)