View Full Version : Upper elementary/middle school planners

ADHDWife&Mom
07-27-16, 10:07 PM
Does anyone have a great planner that has worked for their upper elementary and middle school kids? My son is going into 5th grade and he needs to be able to keep track of his assignments. This is a year to prep for middle school so Im thinking it would be nice to find something that he would be able to carry into middle school.

sarahsweets
07-28-16, 04:52 AM
Youre going to think I am crazy but what I used to do was buy a small notebook about the side of a greeting card and label each page with a day and the date. So for example the today, July 28 would have its own page, labeled "Thursday, July 28". Then when you turn the page, the next page would be dedicated to July 29. I did this because my kids needed more room to write beyond the space planners allowed, and I was able to eliminate the weekends so they only had to deal with 5 days a week during school. They were able to write a little more about each assignment that was due and if they lost this planner, I could easily make them a new one.
I guess its a little silly and simplistic but all of my kids have adhd and it helped them.

Caco3girl
07-28-16, 02:02 PM
Does he have a phone? Someone turned me onto a free app called Trello. We are going to try it this year, it looks like it might be ADHD friendly *crossing my fingers*

ADHDWife&Mom
07-28-16, 10:58 PM
Youre going to think I am crazy but what I used to do was buy a small notebook about the side of a greeting card and label each page with a day and the date. So for example the today, July 28 would have its own page, labeled "Thursday, July 28". Then when you turn the page, the next page would be dedicated to July 29. I did this because my kids needed more room to write beyond the space planners allowed, and I was able to eliminate the weekends so they only had to deal with 5 days a week during school. They were able to write a little more about each assignment that was due and if they lost this planner, I could easily make them a new one.
I guess its a little silly and simplistic but all of my kids have adhd and it helped them.

This actually sounds like a great idea. I keep looking and lack of space seems like the problem in most. My son has trouble with handwriting so he needs LOTS of space.

Does he have a phone? Someone turned me onto a free app called Trello. We are going to try it this year, it looks like it might be ADHD friendly *crossing my fingers*

He does not have a phone yet (he is 10) but he does have an ipod, although he is not allowed to bring it to school so I dont think it would work.
As for Trello, my husband and I use it. My husband has ADHD and he says its a lifesaver for him. I think it would be great for older kids but Im not sure my son would be able to use that one yet. He isnt great with typing on the ipod keyboard yet either (fine motor issues).

stef
07-29-16, 02:10 AM
Maybe you could bring him with you to choose one?
Make it into a nice outing( idk ice cream or a movie or whatever, afterwards)
I say this though as kind of being a stationary geek :) i loved school supplies. I still buy pens for work at Target.

Cyllya
07-30-16, 04:42 PM
I you want to get him an electronic option, I think there are some versions of the Kindle Fire tablet that are only around $50. Since it has a much larger screen, it's easier to type on. Just watch out whether the planner application he uses requires access to the internet in order to use, because some tablets can't use your phone plan and will require Wi-Fi access, which may not be available in school or other places he'd need it. (On the other hand, something that does use your phone plan could be problematic if he accidentally uses too much data?)

ADHDWife&Mom
07-31-16, 11:34 PM
Maybe you could bring him with you to choose one?
Make it into a nice outing( idk ice cream or a movie or whatever, afterwards)
I say this though as kind of being a stationary geek :) i loved school supplies. I still buy pens for work at Target.

We tried this actually. He basically just looks at the covers and doesnt even care what the inside looks like. I dont think he really knows what he needs yet. He hasnt quite learned what he needs to write in it yet. I think Im just going to start with a small notebook to start and see if we need to change after he knows more about what he needs

I you want to get him an electronic option, I think there are some versions of the Kindle Fire tablet that are only around $50. Since it has a much larger screen, it's easier to type on. Just watch out whether the planner application he uses requires access to the internet in order to use, because some tablets can't use your phone plan and will require Wi-Fi access, which may not be available in school or other places he'd need it. (On the other hand, something that does use your phone plan could be problematic if he accidentally uses too much data?)

I dont think an electronic device will work well. He has trouble with reading books on a kindle. He seems to prefer having something concrete in his hands. I also think he'd be distracted with the other things the device could do when he should be only using it as a planner.

brittni1226
01-19-17, 03:41 PM
I don't know if you've since solved this problem, but I think my daughter is around the same age as your son, so I figured I'd offer my two cents!

She was officially diagnosed with ADD in August, 2016, but we've known it since she was in preschool. Every single teacher she had at the elementary school level was so accommodating and willing to help me help her get/stay organized. We worked so hard with her 5th grade teacher last year and she was the one who finally suggested we get her evaluated by the pediatrician, and get her on medication if deemed necessary, before middle school started and she just fell through the cracks.

Starting in 3rd grade in our district, each child is given a school-supplied agenda. They are not stessed nor required in the elementary grades, but the kids are taught how to use them and the teachers have a white board version of an agenda page hanging on the wall in each classroom where they write the assignments for the week, just like the kids are supposed to do in their agendas. Starting in 6th grade, at the middle school, they are required to use an agenda (either the one supplied by the district or one of their choosing), and there are periodic 'planner checks' to make sure that the kids are using them.

My daughter has always loved her agenda, it's been an awesome tool for her (and it didn't hurt that her ADD/ADHD Mama has a datebook at home that she lives by too!), and it has really helped her to be able to actually look at something and see everything that she needs to do- provided she remembers to write it all in there!

This year, I bought her a Happy Planner (from Me and My Big Ideas), Student Edition. (Google it, you can get them at just about all of the big craft stores- we got ours at Michael's! They can be quite pricey, but search online and you can usually find a 40%, 50%, or sometimes even 60% off coupon.) Talk about amazing! She sits down every Sunday afternoon, decorates her pages for the following week, transfers any notes or assignments she's already gotten from her school-supplied agenda, and gets herself set up for success for the week.

She loves it so much that her younger brother (non-ADD, 4th grade, future engineer, LOL) begged for me to get one for him too. Now he sits down with her on Sundays and does his own planner- so it's a thing for boys too. They search online for 'planner stickers' that are free, print them out on regular paper, cut them up, tape them in, and have a blast with stickers and markers too. ;) The layout makes it easy to personalize the pages in a method that works for the user, not something that's pre-defined by someone else who thinks it should work for everyone.

It might be something worth looking into? I know a few of my daughter's friends have already gotten them because they love hers so much, and a couple of those friends are boys.

Good luck to you and your son in middle school!