View Full Version : Lost Written Script From Psychiatrist for Vyvanse

grd7070
07-29-16, 11:27 AM
Okay so here's story sorry it's quite long.

Back track to 4 years ago, a bright 22 year old who was failing college and couldn't understand why. Long story short, (I don't need to go over my symptoms because you all know what I am going through), I was diagnosed with ADHD (and also bipolar but that's a different story). I was started on the lowest dosage of Vyvanse but over about 4 months of no improvement was increased gradually to the highest dosage which is 70 mg. Now, I've been on the 70 mg for 4 years and although it hasn't been COMPLETELY perfect, I can at least wake up in the morning after taking it and not feel sluggish, somnolent, etc, I can concentrate about 80% better than without it, and I actually get (most of) my daily tasks done. Not to mention I don't feel dazed and confused and cloudy. I mean if I don't take it for a day I REALLY notice the difference. I work at the front desk of a major hotel so I'm dealing with people constantly from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm and I really need to be on my game...when I don't take it I'm slow-moving, and can't think of the standard things I need to say to guests (which I say EVERY DAY and should not have to think about them at all).

Alright so now onto the real issue...
I go to my psychiatrist once every 3 months now for maintenance and to get refills on my 3 prescriptions. Now the vyvanse as you all now is a controlled substance-it can't be given automatic refills and is only given out in 30 day supplies AND the pharmacies will only take written physical scripts. My psychiatrist post-dates my vyvanse scripts, meaning she writes 3 separate prescriptions for it (one for each month until my next appointment) and then writes "DO NOT FILL BEFORE 7/10, 8/10, 9/10" etc. on each. This month I finished mine and went to go fill the next script and it was missing. So I called my psychiatrist and she said and I quote "I'm sorry but I won't write a new script for the vyvanse if you lost the one I already wrote for you since it's a controlled substance and it has street value. I mean that script has my [something] number on it. So I'm sorry but I can't fill it until September 10th" She must have repeated that 3 times. OKAY I GET IT'S A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE BUT 3 THINGS TO NOTE HERE:
1. I'm not an addict, never have been
2. If I was selling the script itself...how possibly would someone who bought it from me get it filled if it had MY name on it, MY birth date and MY address?
3. I can't even (because of laws and my insurance company) fill a new script of it if I have ONE pill left let alone a whole month's worth.

I'M OBVIOUSLY NOT SELLING THE **** OR I WOULDN'T BE CRYING RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I'M SO TIRED AND CAN'T THINK STRAIGHT AND I'VE NEVER HAD A TRACK RECORD OF LOSING/ABUSING PRESCRIPTIONS.

It's honestly like she's punishing me for losing it. Like what if someone stole it, that's MY FAULT? I'm so angry and upset and I don't know what to do. I mean that's more than a month without the medication. Any suggestions? I know going to a new doc is out because of the risk of looking like I'm doctor shopping.

Laserbeak
07-29-16, 01:31 PM
File a police report regarding your loss. Get a copy and give it to the doctor or another doctor.

That is your only hope.

The doctor needs to write "replacement for lost/stolen tablets (or capsules or whatever I never took Vyvanse)" on it. He could also put the police report # on it

Also, your insurance may not (probably won't) cover it.

Laserbeak
07-29-16, 01:46 PM
NOTE: Do this as soon as possible, most police stations are open 24 hours. I "lost" a bottle of pills but luckily found them at the last minute but this was the advice I got from both the DEA and NY State authorities.

Also, there is NOTHING illegal about a doctor writing and a pharmacy filing replacement drugs (at least federally), even if the are Schedule II.

As far as going to another doctor, you might actually try one of those emergency walk-in clinics if you have one around.

sarahsweets
07-31-16, 02:05 AM
Im amazed that she actually referenced 'street value'. Yes, amphetamines are abused but so far, I havent become aware of the going market rate on vyvanse. I am in recovery and know many people struggling with drug issues, and so far its just not that known.

The doctor would be able to look the script up and find out if its been filled by someone else as long as your state participates in the prescription drug monitoring.
The doc can also call your pharmacy(ies) and find out if anything fishy is going on.

I asked my doc why she doesnt post date script and she said that if something happened to her than she would have a bunch of scripts floating around with patients with no one able to track them down. She also said its much easier to lose a script if you have to hang on to it.
Its a pain to have to pick it up every month but its worth it if i dont have to worry about being out of meds.
Even though she has made it clear you are screwed, I would still bring this up the next time you see her so you can at least have your feelings heard.

oasismonkey
08-02-16, 12:59 PM
My dad is a doctor and he has to deal with people calling about lost Rx's for controlled substances. It doesn't make any sense for an ethical doctor to write a new script. Statistically it is likely that the person is misusing the medication, and no doctor wants to contribute to substance abuse. Also the health consequences of not taking the meds for a month are not as bad what will happen if the person is misusing them, so the default is no Rx. You can always go to the emergency room if things get bad. Also most medical groups have a policy that they will not write new Rx's for controlled substances to keep down their risk of liability. Someone that has worked so hard to become a doctor is not going to chance everything they have worked for.

sleepy
08-30-17, 12:18 AM
My dad is a doctor and he has to deal with people calling about lost Rx's for controlled substances. It doesn't make any sense for an ethical doctor to write a new script. Statistically it is likely that the person is misusing the medication, and no doctor wants to contribute to substance abuse. Also the health consequences of not taking the meds for a month are not as bad what will happen if the person is misusing them, so the default is no Rx. You can always go to the emergency room if things get bad. Also most medical groups have a policy that they will not write new Rx's for controlled substances to keep down their risk of liability. Someone that has worked so hard to become a doctor is not going to chance everything they have worked for.

What are you referencing these "statistics" from? An ethical doctor treats their patients, not make them suffer from results of their disorder.

sarahsweets
08-30-17, 07:14 AM
What are you referencing these "statistics" from? An ethical doctor treats their patients, not make them suffer from results of their disorder.

That member hasnt posted in a year I dont think so I am not sure if you will get an answer to your question.