View Full Version : Taking Standardized Tests (with or without medication)

hi_add13
07-29-16, 02:31 PM
After been diagnosed with Inattentive ADD a couple months ago and given generic Ritalin and now moved on to generic Concerta, I wanted to know if these medications have improved (or reduced) standardized test scores. From elementary through high school, these tests were normally easy for me because I thought they were fun and made it a game to myself to race against time. I always to have scored pretty high and these scores were impressive to my teachers. Over the years I guess I've pretty much got the hang of it and while they do still scare me a little when I know I have to take one, I seem to tackle through them just fine (sometimes even better than the classroom).

So what I'm really asking is if anyone else who is medicated find it beneficial to take your medication during these tests. Although it will help me focus and concentrate, will make me linger over questions longer and maybe lose time because I'll be too focused on one question.

I've done pretty well on my SAT/ACT tests and I need to take another standardized test to apply to the major I want and I want to know if I should take my medications before taking the test. I've never ever studied for my SAT/ACT (except in my college prep class because we took all together) because my attention span doesn't last that long on these long boring textbooks, but I know that my meds will help me read/follow a study guide now.

Should I just take my meds as directed (even on test day)? Or should I take my meds as directed, including studying for the test, but don't take them on the day of the test?

P.S. I'm really sorry if I've written/given too much information or formatted in a way that's hard to read or understand. I've only recently joined forum (this forum lol) and I don't really know how I'm supposed correctly format a post and often add too much information than I think is necessary. :(

Laserbeak
07-29-16, 02:40 PM
If you're used to taking them regularly, I would take them as normal.

Tetrahedra
07-29-16, 02:43 PM
Unless your doctor says otherwise, take your meds on test day. You're taking them for a reason, right? You were prescribed them because you have a disability. And stopping it suddenly might have poor effects on your test if you're used to using medication. It would be like wearing good shoes to train for a race and then running barefoot for the race itself.

GoalieMel33
07-29-16, 07:22 PM
It's pretty much about weighting the benefits of each option and deciding which is safer. And it's really up to you, based on what you know, what you think is more likely to work for you, how well you know the subjects, etc.

I would definitely take the meds if I were you but that's my opinion. On the other hand, before I was medicated I have been able to get good grades even though I rarely finished my exams.

Your best bet since you have a diagnosis would be to seek help from the disibilities office in your school and ask them if there is a possiblity to get extended time for these tests.

If you aren't registered there, they might ask for documents from your doc stating your diagnosis, difficulties, accommodations you may need . I'm not sure if you would get it as they are standardized tests but I believe it's worth trying.

sarahsweets
07-30-16, 04:36 AM
Should I just take my meds as directed (even on test day)?
Always take them as directed. If they are prescribed for daily use then test day is no different.