View Full Version : Previous smokers who gave it up while on adderall/stimlant meds?

AcctUhd456
07-30-16, 06:29 AM
I've been smoking 7 years and it has got worse since 2 years ago when diagnosed.The only time I don't smoke is when I'm not taking the meds.Whatever dose I have been on that works means I'm going to have at least 10 cigarettes or I'm going to be miserable.I wish I could quit because I want to know what my life would be like consistently being a non-smoker while consistently taking medication since I would be more productive,energetic.I noticed quitting while taking medication is so much harder than quitting without medication.Matter of fact I stopped taking medication on purpose many times just to quit only to decide I need the medication..

Does anyone have any experience with this who overcame this problem?I would appreciate it.

sarahsweets
07-30-16, 08:18 AM
I am horribly addicted to smoking. I am an alcoholic in recovery and I am so afraid if I stop ill drink. Im working on getting over that fear. I dont know why but it does seem like I smoke more medicated.

AcctUhd456
07-30-16, 09:14 AM
Alcohol is addictive since its legal even though its more dangerous than some recreational drugs.I use to work at a banquet hall and saw with my own eyes that lots of people NEED to drink at formal parties because they won't have as much fun without it.These aren't addicts either..its practically half of adults.
I didn't have any nicotine from from June 5tht till this past Tuesday when I got meds since I cancelled last 2 appointments because of insurance,running late for interview.So I was actually smoke free while NOT taking it was a VERY positive outcome except I shied away from anything that required sustained mental effort..

You should read a book by Allen Carr called "the easyway to stop smoking" if you haven't already.Good book.

Pilgrim
07-30-16, 09:59 AM
Just a couple of my experiences re smoking.

I was very worried that stims made me smoke more; untrue.

Also it would be harder to quit when I needed to; untrue.

Smoking was definitely a crutch for me.

These are just my experiences.

AcctUhd456
07-30-16, 10:40 AM
Smoking was a crutch for me as well usually for stress.How did you quit?Was it while on meds?

If you don't mind telling me how long you smoked and what medication you took while quitting that would be great. I just relapsed after being nicotine free 2 months now I'm puffing away in my backyard its so disgusting I hate it. This time I can totally see how smoking turns off other people. The scary thing is its only 4 days since starting again and Im already starting to get immune to the smell. The first day was horrendous I couldn't even take it in the lungs and it smelled so strong. I smoked 3 packs since and now I'm panicking this is going to be me for a while unless I tell the doctor.

sarahsweets
07-31-16, 02:37 AM
Just a couple of my experiences re smoking.

I was very worried that stims made me smoke more; untrue.

Also it would be harder to quit when I needed to; untrue.

Smoking was definitely a crutch for me.

These are just my experiences.

Its definitely a crutch for me and the psychological addiction is way worse than the physical addiction.

Little Missy
07-31-16, 06:21 AM
I have a friend who smoked like crazy and when he began to take Wellbutrin he forgot to smoke and just quit. :confused:

PositiveThinker
08-09-16, 11:18 PM
My Dad used to smoke and I witnessed that quitting really is the hardest part for him to do. But, I advise that its better to try and quit rather not at all.

Joker_Girl
08-25-16, 07:20 AM
I smoked off and on for like 20 plus years. I started in high school I suppose.
I used to would really crave a cigarette about 20 minutes after I took my medication, and also any time I was driving somewhere, working on something outside, or especially if drinking alcohol or coffee.
Last Christmas, my sister in law gave me an E cigarette. Like a vape pen where you can get flavored stuff for it. I thought it was stupid, but I kind of got a kick out of it tasting like strawberries or mango or whatever. And I liked blowing these huge puffy clouds of smoke, because I am a freak and just found it cool, it was kind of like doing drugs in that respect.
Well so I wasn't generally a heavy smoker and started at the second weakest nicotine concentration, and then I moved to the weakest. Gradually I used it less and less, I burnt the filter in the first one and it tasted bad, so did without a few days till I could get another, gradually it just lost its appeal or something as I still have it, but never use it.
I've not smoked a cigarette since January and don't crave them. It's crazy.

aeon
08-25-16, 10:54 AM
I have a friend who smoked like crazy and when he began to take Wellbutrin he forgot to smoke and just quit. :confused:

Hence the marketing of bupropion hcl as Zyban to aid in smoking cessation.

Cheers,
Ian

C15H25N3O
08-26-16, 09:45 PM
Wellbutrin makes cigarettes tasting like licking ash-trays. It works. :-)

AcctUhd456
10-15-16, 12:29 PM
I think you should "Easy Way To Stop Smoking by Allen Carr". It's $11.80 on Amazon or you can download the pdf free but its not the updated 2016 version. It's great and works like a miracle. http://prdupl02.ynet.co.il/ForumFiles_2/15119301.pdf

AcctUhd456
10-15-16, 12:31 PM
If you ever think you're going to relapse I think you should "Easy Way To Stop Smoking by Allen Carr". It's $11.80 on Amazon or you can download the pdf free but its not the updated 2016 version. It's great and works like a miracle. http://prdupl02.ynet.co.il/ForumFiles_2/15119301.pdf

AcctUhd456
10-15-16, 12:31 PM
I think your dad should read "Easy Way To Stop Smoking by Allen Carr". It's $11.80 on Amazon or you can download the pdf free but its not the updated 2016 version. It's great and works like a miracle. http://prdupl02.ynet.co.il/ForumFiles_2/15119301.pdf

AcctUhd456
10-15-16, 12:32 PM
If you have trouble staying a non-smoker I think you should "Easy Way To Stop Smoking by Allen Carr". It's $11.80 on Amazon or you can download the pdf free but its not the updated 2016 version. It's great and works like a miracle. http://prdupl02.ynet.co.il/ForumFiles_2/15119301.pdf

ToneTone
11-26-16, 10:21 PM
I would say at some point, you might want to try the nicotine gum ... and/or lozenges.

Here's the deal ... Your doctors will throw a party if you quit smoking and switch to nicotine gum or lozenges. You risk of cancer will start declining immediately. The bad news is that very likely you'll become addicted to the nicotine gum ...

I've been on nicotine gum for going on 10 years ...Supposedly the ideal is to be on it for a number of months! ... Yeah, right. Me and my ADHD and my addictive personality ... Anyway, every year when I see my doctor and she hears me say yet again that I haven't had a cigar since 2006, a big smile crosses here face. She almost celebrates my quitting all over again. That's how much not smoking can improve your health. Every year that goes by I have reduced my chances of lung cancer and throat cancer and oral cancer. (I used to smoke a lot of cigars! ... and yes cigars have a ton of nicotine even if you don't inhale.)

So the bottom line appears to be that nicotine by itself is a 100 times safer than the tar and smoke and all of that of nicotine cigarettes. There are problems with "pure" nicotine, but it's not nearly as dangerous apparently as most people think. And among its good points is that it assists with concentration and focus.

Here's a New York Times story about a doctor learning that his patient had a long-time nicotine gum habit. The doctor is open minded ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/06/opinion/sunday/can-nicotine-be-good-for-you.html?_r=0

Tone

AcctUhd456
11-29-16, 12:23 AM
Which wellbutrin is best? There's like 3 different ones. Will Wellbutrin XL be best if I smoke a pack a day? Im so excited about switching lol. Did it help you stay a non-smoker even after you stopped Wellbutrin? How long does one have to take it for smoking cessation? Sorry I will do more reading.

sarahsweets
11-29-16, 12:38 PM
I wish I could quit- I just know I am not ready, almost 4 years sober and you would think by now I would be. I am so terrified of relapse-maybe thats an excuse, idk.