View Full Version : Frustrated with job market

dewrdr
07-31-16, 11:42 AM
I just want to complain a little about my country's economy and how I have no idea what to do. I don't usually talk about it with native peers because they are mentally used to what is happening here and I'll just hear "You are just too lazy" or "You're not trying enough". But on the other hand, my peers mostly have rich families and their either work at parent's companies or are financially supported. They have no idea how the system works if you come from the family of - what is called - "working poor" and they were never looking for jobs or not in our region, because they're able to move out to the capital.

So, I finished my high school in 2014 and I still fight with one of the exams that will let me enter an university. Not like finishing uni is something extraordinary here because most of the people working at minor jobs have some kind of a degree. But I wanted to study neuropsychology and I can tell that, for example, if you're specialized in neurodevelopmental disorders such as autism, there are really plenty of job possibilities here.

But, for now, I don't have much to offer apart from knowledge how to work with the cash register. I tried to use my bilingual skills and get paid for translating stuff, but there is just too much of this on the market.

It's hard to explain the job market in Poland. We work the longest amount of hours per week in the whole Europe. We get the lowest wages (but don't fool yourself, if you see that the minimum here is around 1800PLN, remember that the worker only gets around 1300 as a net income because of the taxes).

And it's not like everyone gets the minimal wage. Because minimal wage is about the employment contract. And it's not like everyone gets that. Most people work on the basis of civil agreement. Even for years and years. With civil agreement, you can get fired any time, you don't have paid days off, cannot go on L4 etc. Most employers here have their ways of going around the law. They're greedy. They would love people to work for nothing. And the people are stupid for agreeing with this. It's not like in France when the government told people to work for longer than they were before, and the people went out to the streets, protesting. People here are just complaining when the boss doesn't hear them. They say "At least it's something" "At least I'm not on the street".

After high school, I was first working in a temporary, seasonal jobs. Giving away leaflets, picking up vegetables, writing articles for some minor website.

Then, I've been employed for ten months in sales. How it worked? It's also popular here. We have these labor offices that are the last places to offer you a stable job. There are this "trainings" sponsored by European Union, where you go to be employed for 3-8 months as a trainee (But you do the same job as everyone else, as a regular worker) so the employer gets a free worker for this amount of time because it's government that pays you. 997PLN a month.After the "training" is done, the employer needs to give you a contract for the lowest possible amount of time. It's usually like 3 months working half time.

And then they fire you and get another free worker from this programme.

So, I was working for around ten months, running a local shop for 40 hours a week. It was overwhelming and I would make lots of mistakes and there were tons of people coming there, but my boss was quite nice and the atmosphere wasn't bad. I could sit down, drink coffee, eat something in peace. I was sad they fired me and took some girl who - as I found out later - was stealing their money and was terrible. Just because they want to save money and not pay for the worker.

Just something more about the wages. Neither 997PLN or even 1300PLN a month is not enough to live on your own. It's not enough to pay the rent and the bills and buy the food and everything at the same time.

A pack of cigarettes here is around 15PLN. Renting a small, two room flat in a really small town is around 1200- 1300PLN with everything apart from food. A good quality smartphone here costs around 3400 PLN. If you want to buy a car that's not gonna fly apart in the middle of the street, you need from 17000 - 20000 PLN (we put around 8000 a year into keeping our e36 from 90s running). A single visit to the doctor costs around 120-150PLN.

After finishing that particular job, I tried working in a huge supermarket. But it was temporary, just for a few days before Easter. I thought they're gonna hire a few people at least, but I was the only one to help there. I weight 53 kg , have low muscle tone due to my illness and sluggish cognitive tempo, so it's not like I'm the best choice for a physical worker, but I wanted to give it a try.

So, a huge supermarket in the middle of the city. Just one or two girls on the register on the shift and me and maybe another one to do the rest of the job. They don't pay that bad, but they save on a number of workers. 9-10 hours a day, I was suppossed to go constantly around the whole market, cleaning everything, checking expiration dates, get the empty boxes, drive them and pull them into press paper, then go to the storeroom, take the supply with another girl, put it all on the stillage, take it out in the store, clean everything meanwhile, was screamed by some guy to go 6 times faster and did the **** I eat my breakfast today etc etc. Didn't have time to eat and not eating for 10 hours is hypoglycemia for me. I almost fainted one time. Those girls do the same, but at the same time, they also run between the register and the rest of the store. But, this wasn't that bad, as they pay them the minimal wage and stuff. If I was physically strong, maybe I would give it a shot. But I've quit after 4 days.

Since then, I was basically unemployed. I tried looking for a job in a shopping centre in a big city 50 min from mine, but they look only for people with a student status, as the employers pay less for them. The same goes for people with disability status. They're actually the most wanted on the job market. Especially for jobs that require standing still for 12 hours shift. Minor protection jobs. The taxes that the employer pays for them are much less than usually. I tried my own businesses, translation and selling t-shirts, but it didn't work well. Or buying cheap good quality clothes and selling them for bigger prices.

My father is good at picking jobs, he specializes in driving and working as a bodyguard as he's physically strong and pretty scary-looking. He used to work everywhere, in the whole country and abroad, from huge clubs to cleaning dormitories abroad. My mother is a seamstress and - after 30 years of working - she still doesn't have a paid leave.

I was at around 20 job interviews and some made me really upset and frustrated.

Few days ago I went to this big discount with clothes and home accessories. A huge company. The nice lady says:

Listen, I'm gonna be honest, because otherwise people come here and leave after three days or a week. We don't want that. We look for someone who stays. You get hired with a temporary job agency and that's how it stays. You won't get a contract. The wage is 6PLN an hour, which gives you around 900-1000PLN per month full time (lower than the minimal, I was once getting the same for working half time). No bonuses, only in theory. But the job here is really tough. There are only three of us, you have to do something constantly.
There are stock supplies few times a day. Lots of it. You won't sit down a second, if you want to eat, you must do it fast. One time, the supervisor shouted at me to chew my food faster. You are responsible for the thieves and any lacks in the cash register. There are cameras, they're checking on us each day, whether we don't walk too slow. We have to sell everything in an aggressive manner. We need to do the daily targets, otherwise the heads will roll. Every stock that isn't put down nicely is a reason to get an official complaint. The managers are really nasty and won't respect you, need to grit your teeth a lot. Any bigger mistakes and I get fired. We have daily controls whether we do the targets or know the current sell statistics. We need to know the whole data. We work here because it's better than an usual supermarket, but the only good thing here is our team. We're nice. Apart from that, not much to offer.

Around a month before that, I found an offer to a local second hand store with quite luxurious clothes. It was a private company. So I went there and worked there for a few hours, while waiting for the boss. Found out that there is only one girl running the whole shop on each shift. The work was for about 10 to 12 hours, 3-4 times a week, but generally until you finish you're whole job, you can leave . So, the one girl had to run the cash register, do the financial reports few times a day, contact the boss, get the stock supply delivery, take it out of the boxes, put it on the hangers, then take out a part of the whole shop stock that's already been there, take it out of the hangers, pack it and send it back to the warehouse with a delivery, each day change the whole shop exposition either by colour or categories, knowing at the same time the current trends, taking extra care for the textures, serve the clients with the strict rules of savoir vivre. The boss was a woman and her husband, very posh lady dressed in finest clothes, driving a great car. She took me on the side and talked to me for an hour of how high her expectations are, gave me too A4 sheets of her requirements (no sitting, speaking formula and remember that we're in the middle of a ****hole, not a shopping mall), talked to me how she looks for a friend in her worker who will not ask many questions and know everything by intuition, because she has a small baby and she won't bother coming around or explaining too much.

And how much did she offer me? 6,50PLN and hour with a small bonus "because of your experience". That gave me around 850 PLN but for more than half time. The girl who was previously working there was about to leave after a month. It was like a slap in the face. I told her it's not proportional to her requirements and she started her talk about how she was working in the biggest shopping malls and she knows how much is enough. But in a stores such as ZARA or H&M, there are more than a single worker and you have special people to set the clothes exposition. I told her I need to make up my mind and she answered that she and her husband can't afford waiting, so I left.

Some time, I would get a nice offer with a nice payment at a really nice store, where I was sent through the labor office, and then the lady would tell me that, unfortunately, but she needs to hire her niece (A lot of honest answers I get this year). You know, family. Nepotism is really popular here.

Generally speaking, it's tiring and frustrating. There are also many production hall jobs here or 60km from here and the desperation led me to trying this out.

I don't see how I can earn money here without knowing a proper people and having some good, strong specialization. My only hope is in the university. :mad: Even though most people would laugh at this because it's unusual here to work in the field you were studying. Unless you're in the IT or medicine (Law is overrated, anyone can study this now).

I want to take good care of myself. Not just grit my teeth for the money that is not really enough for anything. To be able to have a proper health care. Get my teeth done. I want to be able to get a car, while not having to save money for it for 4 or 5 years (my father had his first car while being 29). To be able to go to the seaside in the summer. But just can't find anything that works right now. They say that once you are born poor, you will stay poor forever. As a minimalist, I'm very pragmatic and quite good at managing finances. I sell all the unnecessary stuff each time. Do the savings. But you cannot manage money while not having it. I get jealous of people who get the finest cars from their parents, while I would have to save every penny for 6 or 7 years to get it. Lack of stability is making me bitter.

My friends say "go to the capital where we moved, it's great!" But they don't pay for their flats themelves. You can't just go with zero money and rent a flat all by yourself from one wage. The prices are terrifying.

dewrdr
08-05-16, 07:11 PM
I forgot that funny comparison. So, they offer me 6 PLN an hour. The therapist takes 150 PLN for 50 min.

Little Missy
08-05-16, 08:45 PM
Go to where the jobs are. The good jobs.

dewrdr
08-05-16, 11:19 PM
Well, when I think of it, it's not a matter of place (bc - in my field - even the capital city doesn't offer you much more, at least not enough to make a living of it when you're alone) but rather getting some good qualifications and changing the field. It's not Australia unfortunately, when even a saleswoman can have a decent level of living. Any.
I'm thinking about getting a disability (only thinking, I don't really have much reasons for that yet), because such workers are really wanted on the job market (to any jobs at any hours, physical and not), because the employers pay less taxes for them. They're as wanted as students. But I'm thinking about everything right now.

stef
08-06-16, 12:45 AM
this all sounds something like France. it's terrible.
i was very lucky to have skills ( bilingual + secretary training) at a time when international firms were expanding. if you Žlook now they dont even have a fourth of the ads they had for secretaries at the time. ( early 2000s)

dewrdr
08-06-16, 01:10 AM
France always sounded cool for me. I mean, people there were working for 35 hours a week. And when they told them they have to work longer, they went out to streets, protesting. Here, people usually work more than 40 hours a week. But I don't know, I would have to see for myself. Not sure how exactly it looks there, but I read that the minimal wage is one of the highest in Europe, while PL is far faaar behind this, between the lowest. I just know how it is in UK, where my father was working at some minor minimal-wage job and my mother was working only part time and we still could afford a three room flat in the city. While here, they work much harder and longer and they barely pay for food and renting our small, two room flat (just two rooms, no additional bedrooms).
Well, if we speak of how it was in the past, I wish I could live in the 90s, it was so easy then to open a well-functioning business back then and everything was much cheaper.
I'm trying the best I can. I'm thinking on everything. Sold the unnecessary stuff, sell clothes occassionally, post some offers as a freelancer, send my CV even to the jobs I wish I wouldn't have to be doing, but it's just not enough. But I'm not gonna say I'm on a worse position than my friends who are studying. Because I already have some job experience, and they gonna start their journey with job market in like four or five years from now, with zero experience and I think it's not gonna be better for them at all.

Lloyd_
09-01-16, 07:37 PM
France always sounded cool for me. I mean, people there were working for 35 hours a week. And when they told them they have to work longer, they went out to streets, protesting. Here, people usually work more than 40 hours a week. But I don't know, I would have to see for myself. Not sure how exactly it looks there, but I read that the minimal wage is one of the highest in Europe, while PL is far faaar behind this, between the lowest. I just know how it is in UK, where my father was working at some minor minimal-wage job and my mother was working only part time and we still could afford a three room flat in the city. While here, they work much harder and longer and they barely pay for food and renting our small, two room flat (just two rooms, no additional bedrooms).
Well, if we speak of how it was in the past, I wish I could live in the 90s, it was so easy then to open a well-functioning business back then and everything was much cheaper.
I'm trying the best I can. I'm thinking on everything. Sold the unnecessary stuff, sell clothes occassionally, post some offers as a freelancer, send my CV even to the jobs I wish I wouldn't have to be doing, but it's just not enough. But I'm not gonna say I'm on a worse position than my friends who are studying. Because I already have some job experience, and they gonna start their journey with job market in like four or five years from now, with zero experience and I think it's not gonna be better for them at all.

Get a work visa and come to America where you could get a job cleaning offices after hours which it seems a lot of Polish immigrants do when they get here. :D